Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Groaning Noise From Steering Column
Pentheos
post Nov 11 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,589
Drives: 2002 S60

My steering column is making a groaning noise (that's the best way to describe it) when I turn the wheel. It is intermitent. It seems to happen the most at low speeds and in tight turns. I can feel a vibration in the steering wheel, and sometimes, I swear, down near my feet.

I've searched the forum, but found nothing that matched.

It is definitely something I can live with, but it is annoying. Hopefully it'll go away on its own. I hope it is nothing as serious as needing a new steering column, which I imagine would be super expensive.

Any suggestions? I'm not above spraying some WD40 on the thing, if only I knew where to spray it.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Nov 12 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,684
Drives: formerly 2005 S60R

QUOTE (Pentheos @ Nov 11 2008, 05:15 PM)
My steering column is making a groaning noise (that's the best way to describe it) when I turn the wheel. It is intermitent. It seems to happen the most at low speeds and in tight turns. I can feel a vibration in the steering wheel, and sometimes, I swear, down near my feet.

I've searched the forum, but found nothing that matched.

It is definitely something I can live with, but it is annoying. Hopefully it'll go away on its own. I hope it is nothing as serious as needing a new steering column, which I imagine would be super expensive.

Any suggestions? I'm not above spraying some WD40 on the thing, if only I knew where to spray it.

Other than checking the power steering fluid, I have no idea.

QuoteReply
EdinDC
post Nov 12 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,858
Drives: 2003 S60, 1989 740 sedan

QUOTE (S60 R @ Nov 12 2008, 12:53 PM)
Other than checking the power steering fluid, I have no idea.

I think you've nailed it, S60R -- when I read your reply, I remembered that I had the same symptoms a few years ago. The power steering reservoir was cracked so I didn't have any fluid, but did have the groaning and shaking. Good luck, Pentheos. Let us know.

QuoteReply
jks2
post Nov 12 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,518
Drives: 2007 Mercedes C230 Sport, 2007 Chevrolet Equinox (Daughter), 2003 Saab 9-3 (Son), 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe (Tow Vehicle), 2000 Ranger R83 Bass Boat

+1 on the power steering fluid. Probably low. Refill and watch to see if there are any leaks.

QuoteReply
Pentheos
post Nov 20 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #5

You guys were dead on. The reservoir was a tad low so I had the mechanic top it up. Squeak is gone.

I'll have the car in for an oil change in a few weeks and they can trouble-shoot for a leak then. Hope it's nothing serious.

Thanks again. P

QuoteReply
Pentheos
post Dec 4 2008, 05:56 PM
Post #6

UPDATE: Topping up the power steering fluid didn't make the squeak go away! I was mistaken, and posted on here too soon that my problem was solved.

My car was in the shop today, and they knew immediately what the problem was. Apparently there is a rubber bushing / grommet near the base of the steering column. It needed to be loosen, oiled up, and tightened. They charged half an hour's labor for this. The squeak is gone -- for now -- but hopefully it won't come back.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts From Portugal, New Kid In Town!
1 CBD 276 13th December 2013 - 05:04 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Steering Wheel Trim Differences
1 vlvwagon 377 18th November 2013 - 03:03 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts Steering Fluid Low....i'm In West Africa! :(
6 Grawburg 1,087 1st September 2013 - 08:22 AM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Steering Troubles
8 thedoug 1,012 29th April 2013 - 02:28 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsSteering Rack R/r On My 1999 S80 T6
New project
3 s80slave 999 25th April 2013 - 11:14 PM
Last post by: s80slave

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 07:13 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement