Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Checking, Alternator, Battery and Drain
ampangbear
post Oct 28 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #1

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

QUOTE(Volgrrr @ Oct 28 2008, 02:06 PM)
It points to either a faulty alternator, a faulty battery or a rogue current drain on the battery, and all of these problems are easy to identify.

Rogue current drain check.
Switch ignition off and remove cables from the battery positive pole, switch a multimeter to D.C amps and connect the meter between the removed cables and the positive pole of the battery (make sure the meter is switched to the highest amps range) and check for current flow that might be draining the battery (if there is current flow - I'd check to see if the glove-box light is being switched off).

Alternator check.
At night, with the engine off, turn on headlights and any other device that uses current that you can think of (e.g fan motor, foot on brake pedal etc.) then start the motor and see if there is any noticeable difference in the brightness of the lights (there should be). Now, with the engine running, with a meter switched to D.C volts, check the voltage across the battery poles which, if the alternator is in good nick, should indicate somewhere around 13.7 - 14 volts.

Battery check
With the motor stopped, place a D.C voltmeter across the poles of the battery. The voltmeter should indicate around 12.6 volts - if it is any less then the battery is most likely on it's way out. A battery that reads as low as 12.0 volts has faulty cells and is, for normal day-to-day use, dead.

Good luck!
[right][snapback]95008[/snapback][/right]

Good tips!
Hard to find, indeed.

Thanks to Volgrrr...

:right: :right: :right:
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
aarose
post Oct 14 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 63,349
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC 90 T6 AWD

=================
IRRELEVANT POST
=================

Deleted by the moderating team.

QuoteReply
iPartCars.com
post Jul 20 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 75,781
Drives: 95 volvo 850

if you need parts, please check out iPartCars.com...WE DO SHIP!!!

iPartCars.com

QuoteReply
Graden
post Aug 30 2010, 03:45 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 77,726
Drives: Wheel drive

Hello Everyone,We see this often. It’s a good question, one that many normally-aspirated 850/V70/S70 owners ask here. It gets philosophical pretty quickly, but one thing is for certain: it’s not worth the costs and time involved to convert. It’s far easier and less expensive to sell your N/A and buy a Turbo.air conditioner service

But if you’re not going to do that, here’s what you can do to make your N/A as fast as you can for a reasonable amount of time and money.

QuoteReply
tuvok2
post Jun 2 2015, 01:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 147,250
Drives: 859 turbo1996

Greetings from N.Cal newbie! My 850 turbo and I are honored to be able to share and exchange ..ideas... here. I acquired this fine auto 'bout one year ago, having a a tad trouble w/ electrical. Actually the car just died on my while driving home.! The battery was so low... the suspected culprit is the glove box light I'll discover soon. I did notice that previous owner had recently installed a smaller than battery plate allowed battery. ok, so a larger one will be going in.. but may I add that there was trouble earlier. The car started making a grinding sound one day like what the for?? current wasn't flowing right. After looking at a volvo mechanics ideas about this, and me throwing out all I could think of cause, moisture came to mind and it turned out to be the cause of battery drain. I live in the coastal mtns..I can smell the ocean.. the night air is so thick that if not covered at night , eventually will drain battery. Alot of driving is on country dirt roads . I try to be careful... I fear for auto tranny...brakes. My other car is a 1995 Jeep laredo--gets 'er done...but I love my Volvo for streets and highways. tuvok2 bids adieu

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Worth Checking Out That Will Help Your Car Buying Expierance
Worth checking out that will help your car buying expierance
0 zjyybkqo 55 6th November 2016 - 01:12 PM
Last post by: zjyybkqo
No New Posts Checking '03 C70 Trans Fluid
1 robotarmy 586 17th July 2015 - 01:08 PM
Last post by: SeaMike
No New Posts Checking '03 C70 Trans Fluid
Checking '03 C70 trans fluid
0 robotarmy 399 21st June 2015 - 11:43 AM
Last post by: robotarmy
No New Posts I Dont Own One, But Im Always Checking Them Out!
2 retroboy 666 26th January 2012 - 02:11 AM
Last post by: Burn Stains
No New Posts Just Checking In: Getting A 2000 S40 Started And Running Again
1 telekinetik 420 5th July 2011 - 03:43 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th February 2017 - 08:27 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.

Privacy Statement