Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Smell Of Oil Burning While Driving
halewai
post Oct 22 2008, 04:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,900
Drives: 1994 850 Turbo Wagon FWD

My 94 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon with 280K's appears to have a bit of an oil leak.

I drove the car for about two weeks after purchase while the PCV system was still blocked-up. This caused oil to spew out of the dipstick (as it was the wrong one for my car) which washed all over the front side of the engine bay and seemed to get oil under the plastic plug and wire cover on the top of the crankcase.

My issue right now is that while driving I can smell the smell of oil burning on the manifold and then being blown in the car by the heater.

Upon parking this morning I could smell it fresh in the air and pungent - I lifted the hood to see the smoke from what I presume was oil burning on the exhaust manifold.

I have also noticed that my car is leaving small pools of black oil on the ground after a night of parking.

What I am wondering is whether or not the 2.3L Turbo engine has any well known leaks especially at the back of the block? Is it possible that the oil cap leaks, does the gasket break-down and the cap leak under pressure? Essentially I'm trying to figure out how oil is getting down to the manifold and whether or not the PCV got enough oil on enough stuff that it is still running itself off and out of all of the crevices on the block... but now that it has been more than a week, and more that 110K's I'm thinking that it should have stopped by now.

One thing that should be noted is that my oil is exactly the same level on my dipstick as a week ago. Is there anything else that could be leaking back there? Tranny... I don't know.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

QuoteReply
70 140
post Oct 22 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 20,495
Drives: cars

drove it with a plugged up PCV - perhaps the rear main seal is seeping oil?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
halewai
post Oct 22 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #3

Yeah I think that the return line for the turbo is shot.. .and I think that RMS is contributing to the leak. Looks like it will be a busy fall.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Oct 23 2008, 01:26 AM
Post #4

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

QUOTE(halewai @ Oct 22 2008, 05:11 PM)
My 94 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon with 280K's appears to have a bit of an oil leak.

I drove the car for about two weeks after purchase while the PCV system was still blocked-up. This caused oil to spew out of the dipstick (as it was the wrong one for my car) which washed all over the front side of the engine bay and seemed to get oil under the plastic plug and wire cover on the top of the crankcase.

My issue right now is that while driving I can smell the smell of oil burning on the manifold and then being blown in the car by the heater.

Upon parking this morning I could smell it fresh in the air and pungent - I lifted the hood to see the smoke from what I presume was oil burning on the exhaust manifold.

I have also noticed that my car is leaving small pools of black oil on the ground after a night of parking.

What I am wondering is whether or not the 2.3L Turbo engine has any well known leaks especially at the back of the block? Is it possible that the oil cap leaks, does the gasket break-down and the cap leak under pressure? Essentially I'm trying to figure out how oil is getting down to the manifold and whether or not the PCV got enough oil on enough stuff that it is still running itself off and out of all of the crevices on the block... but now that it has been more than a week, and more that 110K's I'm thinking that it should have stopped by now.
[right][snapback]94476[/snapback][/right]

I would think so too. It couldnt have been smoking out of oil seepages.

QUOTE(halewai @ Oct 22 2008, 05:11 PM)

One thing that should be noted is that my oil is exactly the same level on my dipstick as a week ago. Is there anything else that could be leaking back there? [right][snapback]94476[/snapback][/right]

The leak is probably small, so yes, the rear main seal is probably a good possibility.

QuoteReply
halewai
post Oct 23 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #5

Well the good news is that the small leak was from oil running down to the turbo and then down to the ground - the tip off was that the leak was on the far right side of the engine, dripping down over the CV boot, etc.

I'll replace the turbo line, and then clean everything off, and then I'll cross my fingers and hope that I don't have to spend another full day on a project in the first month of owning this car... :57:

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Oct 23 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #6

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Good luck, dude.

Let's hope so too.
:)

Cheers.

QuoteReply
halewai
post Oct 26 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #7

Problem was solved... the leak is at the stupid oil cap. The gasket has failed and under pressure it slowly seeps oil which drains of the rear right of the motor, down around the dist. cap, down around the RMS too.

Changed the turbo return line o-ring and gasket in order to ensure that wasn't the problem... but all is well now.

No more nasty smell, and no more oil on drive way.

QuoteReply
swedseed850
post Oct 27 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #8

Expert

Member No.: 42,436
Drives: 1994 volvo 850 turbo

care to shot a pic of the line you replaced, or give the part number you used to execute the job?

QuoteReply
halewai
post Oct 27 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(swedseed850 @ Oct 27 2008, 10:53 AM)
care to shot a pic of the line you replaced, or give the part number you used to execute the job?
[right][snapback]94925[/snapback][/right]

All right here is a link that I referenced to do this job. The line is actually under the exhaust manifold - it is a metal line and it has an O-ring on the block side as well as a gasket on the Turbo side.

Just be sure to let things cool down, the Exhaust get's HOT, and the turbo also get's warm. As well everything will be that much more swelled with the heat. Make sure that you have a decent gasket scraper for removing the gasket at the turbo.

Hope this helps... The link is from Bay 13 - enjoy.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/turborepairline.php

QuoteReply
swedseed850
post Oct 27 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #10

Expert

thank you :thumbsup:

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Oct 27 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #11

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE(halewai @ Oct 27 2008, 08:46 AM)
Problem was solved... the leak is at the stupid oil cap.  The gasket has failed and under pressure it slowly seeps oil which drains of the rear right of the motor, down around the dist. cap, down around the RMS too.

Changed the turbo return line o-ring and gasket in order to ensure that wasn't the problem... but all is well now.

No more nasty smell, and no more oil on drive way.
[right][snapback]94875[/snapback][/right]

Err, the gasket or the camshaft oil-seal? I'm referring to the leak at the distributor cap.

Cheers.

QuoteReply
swedseed850
post Oct 27 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #12

Expert

yeaaaa... matter of fact, the oil cant run from the cap to the distributor, unless alot of oil is pooled up under the wire cover.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Oct 28 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #13

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Sorry for making it a little confusing. THe reason why i asked is because the camshaft oil-seal is more prone to leakages, than the head gasket itself. And since he pinpointed that the oil was at the distributor cap, then normally, its the oi-seal there that gives way (by the way, some say its better to change all four when one of these camshaft oil starts leaking, cos the rest will follow suit...).

But that said, it could still be probable that the engine gasket DID gave way, causing the oil spill. However, my hunch is that if that were to happen, the spills would be HUGE.

QuoteReply
halewai
post Oct 30 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #14

There was.. A LOT of oil pooled under the plastic plug cover, it seeped down the rear and over the right side of the engine.

No leaks since... the gasket had actually shrunk by 60%, and it had split.

We actually checked the cam seal, two things... I've got receipts for replacement 9K's - 11months ago.

upon checking, there was no leaking or seeping.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Oct 30 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #15

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

OK then.

Thanks for the observation.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Oil And Smoke
I get a lot of oil and smoke.
1 Octa Gog 107 1st July 2014 - 07:01 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Oil Pan
How to remove
0 Fernando 218 3rd April 2014 - 07:28 AM
Last post by: Fernando
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsOil Leak Behind Engine Top / Smoke Coming From Burned Oil
1 flatlander84 389 11th March 2014 - 08:41 PM
Last post by: Deeks
No New Posts Oil Dipstick Tube
0 KeithZ 323 28th February 2014 - 08:43 AM
Last post by: KeithZ
No New Posts Burning Antifreeze
1 resam3t5 275 20th December 2013 - 10:08 AM
Last post by: pkrface

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 03:26 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement