Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Cem Replacement
redbeard4114
post Oct 20 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,843
Drives: 2001 Volvo V70 T5

My 05 S40 T5 has been having intermittent brain seizures. Started with radio getting stuck on one station but now the instrument panel goes dead or the windows won't work or the message center comes up with all sorts of warnings. Car seems to run fine though.

Dealer suggested the Central Electronic Module (CEM) needed replacement to the tune of $1300 (new). Ouch. The service manager is a good guy and I trust his judgement. He wasn't sure if I got one from a wreck whether it would plug in and go. Anybody tried this?

Where is the module physically located?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
thegreenpepper
post Jan 25 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 32,860
Drives: v40 1.9d se

Buy A CEM from a scrap yard/ breakers yard they are about 20 at most located above and to the right of the fuse box under steering wheel. Just make sure you get the code of the old one and find one the same or one that supercedes it and plug it in no sweat I have done this on my v40 takes 5 min.

QuoteReply
raydar
post Feb 6 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 34,254
Drives: 2007 s80 d5

QUOTE (thegreenpepper @ Jan 25 2009, 03:46 PM)
Buy A CEM from a scrap yard/ breakers yard they are about 20 at most located above and to the right of the fuse box under steering wheel. Just make sure you get the code of the old one and find one the same or one that supercedes it and plug it in no sweat I have done this on my v40 takes 5 min.

What a lot of crap. If you get a CEM that is second hand then it does not hold your immob/key codes and will cause a no start situation.
Anyway be very suprised if you need a CEM as a failure extremely rare, make sure that the earth wires for the CEM are secure on the chassis and live feeds are sound under load. Ask about voltage drop across live feeds and earths, if your tech does no know what you are talking about that should tell you alot.

QuoteReply
ScottyBoy
post Sep 24 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 60,098
Drives: 2009 Volvo S60 SE

I have a 2009 S60 with 3,000 miles on it and just had to have the CEM replaced. Basically, my message center and gauges stopped working intermittently. Dealer said it was rare for this to happen but they had seen it a couple of times.

Forunately was covered by warranty or would have been about a $1,000

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2004.5+) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Replacement Tires ?
Looking for new tires
2 supero 457 12th August 2014 - 07:05 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Replacement Of Part Under Rear Door
Little fender at the gas station - need new part!
0 Alex79 512 27th December 2012 - 12:04 AM
Last post by: Alex79
No New Posts Replacement Carpet For 850 Wagon
0 hunamongyou 494 6th November 2012 - 12:51 PM
Last post by: hunamongyou
No New Posts Replacement Of 2002 S40 Intermediate Steering Column?
Stop steering wheel play
0 mcrg00 666 30th July 2012 - 11:05 AM
Last post by: mcrg00
No New Posts Replacement Key/remote
0 steelersrule 1,739 2nd January 2012 - 01:48 PM
Last post by: steelersrule

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 04:23 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement