Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> '95 960 Power Seat Issue, '95 960 power seat issue
wallacesgoddess
post Jul 24 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,926
Drives: 1995 Volvo 960

Hi! :) Our front passenger power seat started acting funny the other day; we slid it all the way forward to make room for some crap on the floor of the back seat and when we tried to slide it back again, it would only move along the left seat rail; it won't budge along the right rail (this is causing the seat to want to torque counter-clockwise as the left moves and the right doesn't).

Listening carefully, I can hear what sounds like a whirring from both sides of the seat... but regardless, the right side is completely stuck. I've looked as closely as I can underneath and I don't see anything that could possibly be causing an obstruction and we're at a loss.

Any thoughts? :)
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danr960
post Jul 24 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 23,965
Drives: '94 964

I posted this about some time in 2003 on the seat problem.

"I had this very problem. It turned out that there is one motor that has a cable coming off of each end, they in turn serve each side of the seat track. What happened on my seat was that the inner cable's end had rounded out on one side. The cables are round except for the last few inches where they are square. The square ends fit into the motor shaft and then to the gear on the track gear box. I think the seats were designed by NASA. The are very heavy and complicated. It seemed that the inner cable should have been longer than it was as just the last 1/8 inch was making it into the gear housing on the track. Here on the board most have repaired this by making the outer sheathing shorter to get more of the inner cable to seat into the gear housing. I didn't see any way of getting the metal end off the cable without destroying the metal end. So I left it alone, all I did was insert 1/4 inch piece of round steel in the inside of the motor shaft, the cable seems to go into the shaft way to far anyway and this made the other end too short and barely able to be inserted into the gear housing. By inserting the metal into the motor shaft it allowed the other end to travel further into the gear housing. I hope this makes sense, if not write with questions for clarification.

I also disconnected the negative battery terminal, and wrapped it in a plastic bag. I did not want to take any chances with the SRS system. I think there is a sensor under the seat."

DanR '94 964 338,000 miles (104,000 on the new engine)

QuoteReply
ggreen67
post Jul 24 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 40,452
Drives: 1996 960 sedan

danr960 is right. its the cable. got my ride in the shop right now t fix the very same issue. its a common problem. i have my mechanic fixing mine as you have to take the seat out to fix.

QuoteReply
jscottgriffiths
post Mar 29 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 51,707
Drives: 1997 Volvo s90

Guys....great info, this helped me identify the problem with my 97 S90. I couldn't find any steel lying around like was mentioned in the fix above, but what I did was I took a few zip ties and tied the cable to the metal framing that supports the three motors under the seat....this causes the cable to press against the point in the gearing mechanism where it needs to be. Easy fix, cost me $3.00 for 100 zip ties, and I still have 96 of them left :-)

QuoteReply
dan964
post May 3 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 56,320
Drives: 1993 945, 1997 964

Ugh,9's are notorious for this problem. lol.

Fixed it on my 945 a few years back exactly the same way as stated above- put something in the receptacle so that the cable would go further in on the right side.

Experiencing the same issue with my 964 now. Designed by NASA? indeed!

QuoteReply
red7218
post Jul 5 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 24,248
Drives: 1996 960 wagon

yep mine too... careful air bag

QuoteReply
red7218
post Jul 5 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 24,248
Drives: 1996 960 wagon

yep mine too... careful air bag

QuoteReply
irbyjr
post Jul 29 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 76,182
Drives: '96 960 Volvo

QUOTE (danr960 @ Jul 24 2008, 11:08 PM)
I posted this about some time in 2003 on the seat problem.

"I had this very problem. It turned out that there is one motor that has a cable coming off of each end, they in turn serve each side of the seat track. What happened on my seat was that the inner cable's end had rounded out on one side. The cables are round except for the last few inches where they are square. The square ends fit into the motor shaft and then to the gear on the track gear box. I think the seats were designed by NASA. The are very heavy and complicated. It seemed that the inner cable should have been longer than it was as just the last 1/8 inch was making it into the gear housing on the track. Here on the board most have repaired this by making the outer sheathing shorter to get more of the inner cable to seat into the gear housing. I didn't see any way of getting the metal end off the cable without destroying the metal end. So I left it alone, all I did was insert 1/4 inch piece of round steel in the inside of the motor shaft, the cable seems to go into the shaft way to far anyway and this made the other end too short and barely able to be inserted into the gear housing. By inserting the metal into the motor shaft it allowed the other end to travel further into the gear housing. I hope this makes sense, if not write with questions for clarification.

I also disconnected the negative battery terminal, and wrapped it in a plastic bag. I did not want to take any chances with the SRS system. I think there is a sensor under the seat."

DanR '94 964 338,000 miles (104,000 on the new engine)

OK, a question or two---can the cable sheath be accessed for this modification (addng the 1/4" spacer or shortening the sheath) without removing the seat? Also, is it important for which battery terminal to disconnect??
Thanks a bunch,
Irby

QuoteReply
danr960
post Jul 29 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #9

Senior

Member No.: 23,965
Drives: '94 964

QUOTE (irbyjr @ Jul 29 2010, 02:54 PM)
OK, a question or two---can the cable sheath be accessed for this modification (addng the 1/4" spacer or shortening the sheath) without removing the seat? Also, is it important for which battery terminal to disconnect??
Thanks a bunch,
Irby

I do not really know if one can do this while the seat is in the car, you could try and see if the seat will raise high enough. another way to address this problem is to shorten the cable sheath but still you need room to work and there may not be enough space to maneuver while still in the car.

When ever I do electrical work that requires removal of a battery cable, always undo the negative, that is always first when changing a battery too. If you do the positive then you run a great risk of shorting out something with the wrench you are using, but doing the negative post first removes that possibility when removing the positive.

DanR '94 964 353,000 miles (119,000 on the new engine)

QuoteReply
irbyjr
post Jul 29 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 76,182
Drives: '96 960 Volvo

QUOTE (danr960 @ Jul 29 2010, 04:46 PM)
I do not really know if one can do this while the seat is in the car, you could try and see if the seat will raise high enough. another way to address this problem is to shorten the cable sheath but still you need room to work and there may not be enough space to maneuver while still in the car.

When ever I do electrical work that requires removal of a battery cable, always undo the negative, that is always first when changing a battery too. If you do the positive then you run a great risk of shorting out something with the wrench you are using, but doing the negative post first removes that possibility when removing the positive.

DanR '94 964 353,000 miles (119,000 on the new engine)

Makes sense to me.
Thanks,'
Irbyjr

QuoteReply
Roy321
post Aug 26 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 73,535
Drives: 1990 740, 1992 240, 1998 S90

Hello friends, attached is a document describing the fun I had fixing my S90 power seat.
Good luck.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  S90_power_seat_repair.pdf ( 328.38K ) Number of downloads: 187

QuoteReply
duckland23
post Jul 29 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 92,822
Drives: Volvo 1996 960

I Know this is a older post but I wanted to post about my experience On my seat repair as well .I didn't have to cut the plastic sheath like some of the people did to fix there's . I guess I got lucky but My seat is now working it was a bear to get out and in the hole wont line up at first , the only way to line them up is to push them really hard to the bolt holes . I called volvo a new cable is 9.50 us dollars , not very much for cost . I would guess that the old cable gets all stretched and you need to shorten it or replace it all together . I dont know how long its going to last but I hope its a long time . I also have to repair my seat heater on the drivers side as well its not working I think its the switch not working right . Its got some kind of sticky stuff all over it , I think soda pop spilled on it . It wont light or work in the winter time .

QuoteReply
duckland23
post Mar 29 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 92,822
Drives: Volvo 1996 960

I repaired My seat about one year ago . Now my seat is doing the same thing . I was going to buy a new cable from volvo , but I only had to adjust the cable that made the seat go forward on the motor . I had to remove the seat from the car . I may as well have to do the same thing again . But this time I know how to do it . I may try to shorten the cable sheet on it a 1/2 in to same me some money , or spend 20.00 from volvo for a new cable . also they dont stock it anymore , so I have to order it . Its the second or last motor under the seat that giving me the problems . If you push on the cable the seat will go forward , but thats a temp of a fix you need to replace the cable or shorten the plastic cable sheating 1/2 in . Oh the bolts can be a real bear to get back in there holes , you may have troble removing them . You can push the cable to move the seat foward to move it back and forth .

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Seatbelt Warning Light !
2 BlackRain 167 16th August 2014 - 11:49 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts 960 Won't Crank -- Sometimes
What is making my car not start, sometimes?
0 Seabiscute 199 20th May 2014 - 11:26 AM
Last post by: Seabiscute
No New Posts Power Steering Fluid
WSS M2C204-A
2 Begibbs1 1,429 27th November 2013 - 07:49 AM
Last post by: Begibbs1
No New Posts Power Windows Suddenly Quit Working
2 RBH 822 9th August 2013 - 09:28 PM
Last post by: switch-doctor
No New Posts 960 Brake Booster Question
Brake booster question
1 sasjzl 436 3rd June 2013 - 12:12 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 03:09 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement