Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Burned Rubber Smell
CBR600RR
post Jun 3 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,531
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD

Hi,
we have a 2007 XC90 3.2 AWD. A few weeks ago, when we stopped after a 10-mile drive, the car had a strong smell of burned rubber.
Went back home, car was still smelling, looked for the obvious (plastic bag stuck on the exhaust), but could not find anything.
Couple of days later, car was getting better but still smelling in an unusual way so I put it on the ramps, looked very carefully underneath, even removed the engine splash guard at the bottom: nothing.
A week goes by, still smelling. Then likely my and my wife's imagination kicked in, but we both independently felt the car to be a little sluggish in acceleration, so decided to take it to Volvo: they did a quick test drive, found nothing unusual, smell was not noticeable (outside, if you drive and park in the garage, you still smell it) and sent me home telling not to worry.

Now, I know these cars throw Check Engine Light codes for about anything, I know it's probably nothing, yet the car still smells like it never did.
I tried to leave the engine running at idle for a while, and there was no smell, which could mean that:
- something is really stuck on the exhaust, but needs to exhaust to get very hot to smell
- it's something related to motion, like axles, wheels, brakes

Despite having a rather large nose, I could not pinpoint where this smell is coming from.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? It's driving me crazy...

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Jun 3 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 31,123

no codes, is yours a turbo? if so, can you see them from up top? if not, up on the ramps and see if there is anything stuck up high. there was a post from another member who had a plastic bag stuck to the turbo housing itself. just two cents from the used-to-be-hairy greek

QuoteReply
effdbmx1
post Jun 7 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,583
Drives: 1994 volvo 850 turbo wagon

i used to have a tiny oil leak that dropped on the exhaust once in a while and i swear that it smelled exactly like burnt rubber. but i knew it was oil cuz if i open the hood right away it smoked from the rear for a couple seconds. fixed the leak and never had that smell again...

but i get a different smell now once in a while and i'm thinking it has something to do with the turbo cuz it happens when i give it a lot of boost

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Jun 7 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 31,123

well, eff, post yours on the 850 forum so that the others can see your problem also, let's see if we can help CBR with his problem.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Rubber Seal- Front Windscreen
0 smoothcoffee 578 8th February 2013 - 09:35 AM
Last post by: smoothcoffee
No New Posts Rubber Seal- Front Windscreen
0 smoothcoffee 382 8th February 2013 - 09:25 AM
Last post by: smoothcoffee
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsSmelling Oil I Think Under Power From My Heater
smells almost like dog
19 850turbo94x 654 21st November 2011 - 01:27 PM
Last post by: SeaMike
No New Posts Smelly Aircon
2 fleck 565 22nd June 2010 - 09:46 PM
Last post by: Beachbum
No New Posts Smell Gas Inside Car
0 Pepe Rodriguez 410 25th January 2010 - 01:20 PM
Last post by: Pepe Rodriguez

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 07:03 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement