Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Upper Strut Mount Spring Seat Failure, 2001 V70 T5, XC70/90 parts interchange?
gobies
post May 22 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,447
Drives: 2001 Volvo V70 T5

Anyone ever experienced total failure of the upper spring mount with punch through? 90,000 miles. Bilstein struts and shocks installed 12 months ago. Right front strut appears to have about an inch of free play. Still rubber to rubber contact so no noise. That said, turning corners had a sort of "heave to" feel. Control arm bushings need replacement, and I put the funny handling to that.
Have read on some Volvo forum that seats from XC90 are interchangeable and much sturdier. IPD indicates XC70 bushings are an upgrade also. Any first hand knowledge here?
("Reputable" independent Volvo shop was instructed to replace seats with struts.)

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
OFFdutyHERO
post May 23 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 42,578
Drives: 1998 C70

Yes turns out its a common volvo problem. I just had to pull out my front struts due to the same problem. Mine however were squeaking something terrible. I could push in the engine bay where the strut mounts and get about 1/2 to an inch of play upwards. Pulled the whole strut assmebly out, compressed the springs, took off the top lock nut, rupper isolator, took off locking nut and there I saw it. The steel sleeve that the top of the strut slides through and about an 1/8th inch of rubber are freely moving up and down. So I pulled the strut mound and spring seat off and the dang thing fell right to the ground. The good news is they are cheap and easy to fix. Below I have put a link to the ones I bought (about $40 shipped for both overall). You simply pry the seat away from the mount, they kind of link together with rubber groved teeth, and then install the new seat. Put it back together and viola crisp handling. :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-V70-8...sspagenameZWDVW

QuoteReply
scirocco
post Sep 26 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 48,382
Drives: 2003 XC70

Hey there!

I've got an '03 XC70 which needs (according to the dealer) "spring seats" which as far as i can tell are what we are discussing here.

Can anyone confirm that the XC90 part does fit, and is an upgrade? The dealership hasn't heard of this, and won't install the XC90 part even if it does fit, for liability reasons.

Does anyone know the part numbers involved, and possibly a good source to buy them online?

Thanks!
~scirocco

QuoteReply
gobies
post Jan 20 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 42,447
Drives: 2001 Volvo V70 T5

2001 V70 T5. passenger side punch-through about 12 months after installing Bilsteins. Never got an answer on parts swap from XC90, but IPD now markets a heavy duty upper spring mount.

QuoteReply
MKC70
post Jan 20 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Expert

Member No.: 23,913
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 coupe

XC90 seats differ from the IPD's in amount of virgin rubber for greater longevity. Same install applications for both parts. When looking on IPD site you will note same part# for different models including R models. I went with the IPD seats on my car.

QuoteReply
norrsten
post Mar 7 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 69,920
Drives: 1998 v70

Does anyone have any experience with the new "heavy duty mounts"?

My '98 V70 with 150k on it, just went through 3 sets of upper mounts in less than 2 years. I installed Bilstein touring shocks and left the original mounts which looked good- they lasted about 30k miles. I then installed Groton's aftermarket mounts which lasted about 8 months. I exchanged them for OE mounts (Groton was great by the way) which have only lasted a few months, now they are blown too.

Any ideas?

QuoteReply
tam85
post Jun 10 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 71,243
Drives: 2000 volvo

im trying to remove my front strut to replace the spring seats and bearings. but dont know to do it. does anybody have diy guide? thanks in advance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/liebe011.gif)

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Seatbelt Warning Light !
2 BlackRain 220 16th August 2014 - 11:49 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Struts
1 guiseppe 402 18th June 2014 - 02:49 AM
Last post by: bigbruggsy
No New Posts Strut Bearing - S40
Noise Traced To Strut Bearing on S40
0 JUNIORPFED 467 18th August 2013 - 05:24 AM
Last post by: JUNIORPFED
No New Posts Mounting Kit For Metal Grating For 1996 850 Wagon
mounting kit
1 highlander00 358 30th January 2013 - 02:56 AM
Last post by: SeaMike
No New Posts Seatbeld Warning Change?
from tikking to peeping like the usa types of the 850
0 Deniz 465 10th November 2012 - 02:51 PM
Last post by: Deniz

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 02:46 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement