Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Transmission Hard Shift! Any Solutions?
macifre
post Apr 22 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,106
Drives: 2001 S60 2.4T, 2002 MB CLK430 AMG

maybe you can help me out! I'm in Central America so the dealer does not always have a clue, I have a 2001 S60 2.4t with 105k miles, and my transmission started to do a very harsh shift from 2nd to 3rd, not always, maybe 50% of the time, I've tried resetting the computer by dissconecting power for 24hrs, and then, I did a flush and changed the trans oil, it helped a lot for 200 miles, now the problem is back, not always and deffinetly never when driving uphill... any thoughts? I do not even whant to ask how much a new trans will go for down here!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
LoveMyS60
post Apr 25 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 29,351
Drives: 2003 S60 2.4t

Honestly? It sounds like your valve body.

This is a common problem on these AW Geartronics. ESPECIALLY the 2001's due to the Neutral On Stop feature. (Google that, there's a lot out there already discussing it).

There was a software update in 2002 and another in 2003 and you should DEFINITELY get those if you haven't already. May help a bit. But, at this point, it may not.

The valve body is the only part of the tranny that can actually be serviced, but it's still not cheap, ($700-1000 USD compared to $2500-4000 for a rebuilt tranny [and all after market trannies are rebuilds, no OEM available])

The downside, though, is that the valve body fix might not fix the problem entirely for the long term.

Furthermore.. about the fluid..

if you did a simple drain/fill, you actually only replaced about 1/3 of your fluid. Doing it another time, or even twice more, is closer to the effect of a real flush. Also, be sure to use the Mobile 3309 tranny fluid spec. It's expensive from Volvo but Toyota uses it also and you can get it from them at a lesser cost.

It doesn't really matter WHERE you get it, so long as it's Mobile 3309.

A caveat, though: Some people feel that changing the fluid on a failing tranny causes it to fail more quicker. Personally? that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but many swear by it so YMMV.

Finally... check out sweedspeed.com. It's got a more active forum, especially from a technical POV.

Good luck, my friend.

Your best bet might be selling it while you still can.

QuoteReply
macifre
post Apr 25 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,106
Drives: 2001 S60 2.4T, 2002 MB CLK430 AMG

QUOTE(LoveMyS60 @ Apr 25 2008, 09:00 AM)
Honestly? It sounds like your valve body.

This is a common problem on these AW Geartronics. ESPECIALLY the 2001's due to the Neutral On Stop feature. (Google that, there's a lot out there already discussing it).

There was a software update in 2002 and another in 2003 and you should DEFINITELY get those if you haven't already. May help a bit. But, at this point, it may not.

The valve body is the only part of the tranny that can actually be serviced, but it's still not cheap, ($700-1000 USD compared to $2500-4000 for a rebuilt tranny [and all after market trannies are rebuilds, no  OEM available])

The downside, though, is that the valve body fix might not fix the problem entirely for the long term.

Furthermore.. about the fluid..

if you did a simple drain/fill, you actually only replaced about 1/3 of your fluid. Doing it another time, or even twice more, is closer to the effect of a real flush. Also, be sure to use the Mobile 3309 tranny fluid spec. It's expensive from Volvo but Toyota uses it also and you can get it from them at a lesser cost.

It doesn't really matter WHERE you get it, so long as it's Mobile 3309.

A caveat, though: Some people feel that changing the fluid on a failing tranny causes it to fail more quicker. Personally? that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but many swear by it so YMMV.

Finally... check out sweedspeed.com. It's got a more active forum, especially from a technical POV.

Good luck, my friend.

Your best bet might be selling it while you still can.
[right][snapback]77946[/snapback][/right]

well.... I really would not like to sell, but at this point in time, ít seems like my best option...I'll try a new flush and then if the problem goes away I'll consider selling and maybe buying a newer one... these days it seems harder to find a good, reliable car, like those 244s of old times...

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Anyone From Melbourne
S40's
7 PLANT 2,618 25th June 2014 - 06:37 AM
Last post by: bubblecup
No New Posts Transmission Issue (error Code Tcm002c)
Volvo S80 2.0 Turbo
5 sonic3 1,090 26th November 2013 - 07:25 PM
Last post by: pkrface
No New Posts Anyone Replaced Eps? (power Steering) S40n -06
0 Orfeous 321 6th November 2013 - 06:36 PM
Last post by: Orfeous
No New Posts Anyone Tried These Lights...
0 jason su 269 29th October 2013 - 05:33 AM
Last post by: jason su
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsTransmission Problems With My First 240
2 245buster 631 17th July 2013 - 11:10 AM
Last post by: SykO

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 04:07 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement