Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1993 Volvo 940 Died When Going Down The Highway, What could be the cause?
m4tt
post Apr 22 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,413
Drives: 1993 volvo 940

I just bought a 1993 940 and it ran fine for about 300 miles. All the fluids were fine and it started fine. Yesterday the engine just quit when I was going down the highway. It turns over but doesn't try to catch and start. I checked for spark off the coil lead and it was weak. Any ideas on what it could be? I am going to try a new coil but if it is something else I would like your input. Thanks!

-matt
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
SykO
post Apr 22 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #2

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 19,150
Drives: 1989 740 SE AUTO, 1993 940GLE Turbo 2.0i

hello. congratulations on your purchase of the volvo! and welcome to the board!

In regards to your problem i have replied to anot6her thread int he 740 forum regarding the same problem.

the link is here. Please have a read of this.

It does apply to the 940 if its a 4cylinder version as these are exactly the same engines. If it is a v6 however, i do not know if this will apply.

Matt

QuoteReply
m4tt
post Apr 22 2008, 08:12 AM
Post #3

Thanks, Little story you might enjoy.

It died going down the highway about 30-40 minutes from home. I coasted her up into a parking lot by the road and was on my cell talking when I saw another volvo wagon drive by. I thought it was odd because in that area you never see a volvo. A few minutes later the same wagon pulls up next to me and the owner had seen my car and actually only lives a block away from where I was. We checked some things over and towed it to his drive where it is sitting now waiting for me to get it running again. His is a 1990 740 and he has manuals and some spare parts and experiance working on volvos. Good luck that he was there, bad luck that mine died.

It is my first experiance with a Volvo but I don't have any bad feelings towards them yet. I love the car and want to get it back on the road. I m ordering the extended service kit from IPD with cap, rotors, timing belt, plugs, injector seal kit, etc.. It probably could use them all anyways. Im getting a new coil too.

I looked around for an ignition amplifier too but I don't want to drop the cash on one just yet.

After work today Im going to check:

Failure to Start; Flywheel Sensor Bad. [Query:]My 1990 740GL has been having trouble starting for the last few months. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and fuel pump relay. The wiring harness looks fine. Today it refused to start at all. Cranks fine, but no spark. I unplugged and re-plugged the flywheel position sensor at the firewall and it started! The contacts looked OK, but I cleaned them and put on some dielectric grease. Now we'll see if that did it. Question: I remember some talk on the list awhile back about a recall or TSB on faulty flywheel position sensors (impulse sensor) on late '80s 740s. I can't find the message on my hard drive. I seem to recall that the model with a yellow band was either the good one or the bad one. Mine is yellow. [Response:] The newer kind has a white band, as opposed to the older style yellow band. Replacement takes about 10 minutes.

Car Won't Start; Ignition Diagnosis. [Problem:] This morning my 86 740 GLE (B230F) started and ran for approx. 30 seconds then died and will not restart. No spark exists at the coil (replaced coil with new one no change). The fuel relay does kick on after taking the ignition switch from start to run. [Response:] Ok let's go thru a general no start fault trace:
1. When you turn the key on does the pump run for about 1 second? From your post I would assume that the answer is yes. This indicates that the fuel pump runs and the relay and ECM are capable of turning it on.
2. When you put the engine to crank does the pump run during the cranking? Again you said yes, as you deduced this indicates that the hall switch is working
3. is there spark at the coil itself? (to test pull the coil wire part way out and have someone else crank the engine) If the answer is yes then the problem is in the distributor secondary (cap, rotor, wires) If the answer is no continue.
4. Is there voltage present at the coil low tension terminals with the key on? ( and are all the wires connected?) If no fix, if yes continue
5. Is the power stage connected? yes? remove the connector and examine the terminals on both the power stage and connector if they are corroded they will need to be cleaned. Still no start continue.
6. IS THERE ANY GAS IN THE TANK?

QuoteReply
SykO
post Apr 22 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #4

Veteran
Group Icon

one thign it doesnt say - when being difficult to start is - is the battery flat? under 12v when running? if so you might want to consider alternator problems for the trouble starting etc...

Matt

QuoteReply
m4tt
post Apr 23 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #5

Update: Last night I tried to start it and it started and ran for about 4-5 minutes then it just shut off on its own. I will admit that it had my hopes up that I could drive it home. The coil should be in to put on Thursday.

QuoteReply
SykO
post Apr 23 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #6

Veteran
Group Icon

sorry to hear that mate. I know what its like my daily driver failed its MOT today which was a BIG shock. but the MOT tester was just being picky - 3 blown lamps. bloomin stupid if u ask me, the lamps were in the glove box!

QuoteReply
rlosiniecki
post May 20 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 42,760
Drives: 1991 volvo 940 se

Was this problem ever solved I have the same issue.

QuoteReply
m4tt
post May 20 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #8

I replaced the Regina Ignition Control Module and put on a new Coil. Right after bolting it on the car started and ran fine. I read somewhere online that the Ignition Control Module has problems when it gets older due to the bottom of it swelling and cracking with heat.

The alternator died on it a few weeks ago so I put in a salvage one and plan on rebuilding to old one when I can find parts.

Currently the only problems I am having are the temp gauge works fine for awhile but then sometimes it gets jittery and goes to not working at all. Also the air conditioning isn't working but I haven't really looked into any of these problems yet. I will post back when I do.

QuoteReply
olver hump
post May 28 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 43,245
Drives: 1993 Volwo 940

check the fuel pump.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo 850 Cd Smokes Like Crazy But Runs Fine?
9 JeremyK 172 8th August 2014 - 12:25 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo S60, V60 Polestar Pricing Announced
0 AutoGuide.com 104 7th August 2014 - 01:54 PM
Last post by: AutoGuide.com
No New Posts Volvo B230gt Engine?
Please explain to me because it seems that I have one in my car
0 Archon 84 30th July 2014 - 09:53 AM
Last post by: Archon
No New Posts Volvo Starting
FUEL ? SENSOR?
6 claudeworld 323 10th July 2014 - 11:16 PM
Last post by: claudeworld
No New Posts Volvo C70 2002 - Srs Light 0085 Code
unable to clear code 0085 Left SIPS air bag signal missing
1 Awesome Fury 150 19th June 2014 - 11:55 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 04:25 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement