Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> P0422 - Check Engine Light, Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold
scookstlmo
post Mar 26 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,188
Drives: 2000 S70 GLT, 2000 S70 SE

I've got a 2000 S70 Volvo GLT (turbo) with a CEL OBD II code of P0422 which I reported to the dealer last June (07) while the vehicle was under the 8 yr/80K emissions warranty. The dealership said that this code was caused by a bad brake booster (vacuum leak) although I indicated that there were no noises or problems braking. I insisted they investigate the catalytic converter but they refused. Now, 9 months later, I am experiencing the same issue - P0422 code and the dealership is now indicating that it's a bad catalytic converter. I insisted that this should be addressed under the federal emissions warranty but the dealership is refusing because the vehicle is 'technically out of warranty by 4 months (but still under 80K).

1) was I sold a bill of goods with the brake booster?

2) shouldn't Volvo cover the catalytic converter since it was originally reported while vehicle was under warranty but the dealership muffed correcting it?

3) two weeks ago the CEL came on with this code and I reset it. It came on two weeks later after 400 miles. That's when I took it into the dealership this past Friday.

4) dealership last Friday just reset the CEL and told me to drive as-is

Doesn't this sound irresponsible and just totally wrong? CEL has been off now again for over 150 miles since the dealership reset it.

Anybody have any suggestions? The car has always ran fine and if it weren't for the CEL, you wouldn't know there was a problem. I have reported this to Volvo Customer Care but am interested in hearing about similar experiences or catalytic converter issues. Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
raydar
post Mar 31 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 34,254
Drives: 2007 s80 d5

I would be suprised if your cat is at fault if the car still has the original volvo one fitted, has the garage tested the emissions of the car to see how the cat is performing! If the emissions are ok it may be a rear 02 sensor causing the problem.

QuoteReply
scookstlmo
post Mar 31 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 40,188
Drives: 2000 S70 GLT, 2000 S70 SE

unfortunately no, this dealership is rather suspect and I do not have any trust or confidence in its ability to correctly diagnose the problem. BTW, the CEL came back on Friday evening and I have an independent/reputable Volvo repair facility looking at it tomorrow.

I've referred the matter to Volvo Customer Care(less), but so far have not been provided with an acceptable remedy to this issue. I am rapidly losing my confidence in Volvo due to this and previous problems that I've had with this vehicle after the extended warranty expired, e.g. new master cylinder, new brake booster, and now a catalytic converter (which should have been replaced last year under the fed emissions warranty). Has anyone else had these problems on a S70 with less than 79K miles?

With respect to the rear oxygen sensor, I understand that they should only be replaced if they fail, but the front sensor should be replaced every 100K for efficient and trouble free operation.

This vehicle passed emissions testing in January of this year for tag renewal.

QuoteReply
raydar
post Apr 1 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Senior

i would not change a o2 sensor unless it fails, yes it will not operate as efficiently as it gets older but if passing emissions then why fix whats not broken.

The rear o2 sensor does not effect your emissions its purpose is to check the operation of the front o2 sensor (yes I know one sensor to check another) and also to check the operation of the catalyst. It is the rear o2 sensor that decides if the engine management should log a catalyst fault, so if the rear o2 sensor is reading wrong it can tell you that a perfectly good catalyst is faulty when its not.

QuoteReply
MechChick
post Jul 11 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 45,388
Drives: GMC C3

I'm a mechanic working on & off on my boss' S70... We've replaced the cat all the way to the tail pipe, both O2 sensors, and even worked on the hoses around the turbo. Basically there's a bunch o' new parts we've installed (ALL volvo cert'd parts!) And we now have this code, too. "P0422 - Main TWC efficiency Bnk1 below thresh" All codes were cleared, then after approx 57 mi the code appeared. We're a little stumped and going clear it, see if & when it comes back (accelleration, even driving, etc), and then re-check all the connections before the upper O2S before we move on. I'll keep ya posted & I hope you do the same! :grin:

Don't let the dealership work on it unless they level with you. Make sure you show them you know what the heck you're talkin about. Lay down the rules: you won't take crap from them, you won't pay for their screw ups, & you expect complete honesty. They throw whoever's available out there to talk to you even if it's a new guy that hasn't finished his Volvo cert mech course. (Almost all the car dealers do this, not just volvo.) If the mech says "I don't know," then the boss is gonna get MAD, cause they want people to think ALL the mechs back there know everything there is to know about the cars they service. I get a lot of crap from them with my GMC because I'm a chick, but once I call their bluff and start talkin shop with them it's good to go. :thumbsup:

After an alignment my front passenger wheel felt like it was gonna come off while I was driving, but when I checked the lug nuts, they were tight. I brought it back and told them to fix it. They claimed they didn't do it, and that it was someone else since they don't touch the fixtures attaching the wheel assenbly in an alignment! I went off on them and rattled off how the entire wheel-well area is assembled and the location of the alignment bolts. He got embarassed to be caught in his lie by a (very pregnant) woman, and I got it all fixed free. It knocks them off balance and then they're trying to show they know more than a girl! I love it - it's gives me something to laugh about the rest of the day! :bwekk:

QuoteReply
tr_car_nut
post Sep 1 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 37,201
Drives: 2003 Volvo S40, 1997 Volvo 850 (non-turbo)

My mother in-laws 2000 V70 XC has the CEL on recently (just when I happened to drive it). The car has been sitting since she has been ill so not much driving of that vehicle. The car has a little over 88K and I ran the codes at Advance auto and I received the P0422. I believe this is the second time the light has come on in the last year. Advance Auto thought it might be the O2 sensor instead of the Catalytic converter but only a guess. She will be taking it to a local mechanic who specializes in Volvo's to have it checked. BTW I'm also in NC.

QuoteReply
MechChick
post Sep 9 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 45,388
Drives: GMC C3

Since the last post (SIGH!) we cleared the code, then replaced the water pump. So far the code hasn't come back and it's been over 90 miles later. :amen: We'll see if it stays that way. Not sure what made it stay away... :huh: Maybe a combo of all of the above!! :beer:

QuoteReply
raydar
post Sep 9 2008, 04:25 PM
Post #8

Senior

hope its not a cheap aftermarket cat you fitted mechchick as unfortunatly this can also be a cause of this code as the cat is not efficient as a oe part and can take to long to get to operating temperature and function as well as a original part (had this on a s40).

QuoteReply
FromLeftField
post Sep 22 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 48,454
Drives: 2000 XC70 and 2000 V70

I have been chasing a P0422 on my 2000 XC70 (140K miles) for a few months.

I may have finally resolved it in the past week.

It was an obtuse, but inexpensive problem to fix.

My approach was to eliminate all the places where un-metered air could get into the intake manifold.... clean and clamp the vacuum hoses; etc.

After checking and rechecking everything, and making some significant improvements in the performance and economy along the way, I still got an occasional P0422 under specific driving conditions.

One more check last week and I discovered that one of the two plastic clips on the intake air temperature sensor was broken off.

I bought a new one from volvo for about $20. It took 2 minutes to replace.

With only one plastic clip, the sensor will work fine at highway speed and a good vacuum in the intake. At suburban driving, the seal is not so good, and a positive pressure in the intake (like when you let you foot off the gas), might even push the sensor partially out.

IMHO, the only way that sensor got broken was when it was in the dealer for service. From the looks of the break, it has been broken for a while.

I think that this solution to P0422 would more likely apply to turbo vehicles, as the non-turbo's would not have the positive pressure in the intake.

Good luck !

QuoteReply
girlsnmud
post Mar 31 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 87,548
Drives: 98 volvo v70 non turbo, 99 ram 4x4 5.2L...

i have a 98 v70, non turbo and it has a p0422 and p0133. i know the flex piece on the header is bad so ordered a new header which i just got today. im hoping by changing the header it will cure both codes, it needs it reguardless. i will post again after the job is done to let you know what happened. i do have a mac tools OBD II scanner that i did the running diagnostic with, glad i have it and it was def worth the $. this is my first volvo that i have had for a yr now and i love it!

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2000) S70, V70 & V70XC Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine System Service Required .. But No Codes!
6 V70 Driver 3,315 28th August 2014 - 04:06 AM
Last post by: alanjackson
No New Posts Engine System Service Required S80 2006 2.4d
0 S60D5SE 120 13th August 2014 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: S60D5SE
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Computer Test
car runs better with vacuum tube disconnected
17 ThagSimmons 313 16th June 2014 - 01:57 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Engine Immobilised !
Volvo Guard Alarm playing up.
4 slicknick 516 11th January 2014 - 09:41 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Engine Electronic Lamp
2 Soft 464 31st October 2013 - 02:44 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 06:17 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement