Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Key Stuck In Ignition, Please help! 2006 Volvo s40
volvo lover
post Mar 15 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,750
Drives: 2006 volvo s40

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the forum (first post but frequent reader).

I have a 2006 volvo s40 turbo, and I love it. Haven't had any troubles until today... I was running errands this afternoon, and when I got to the store, the key wouldn't turn all the way to the left for me to take out of the ignition.

I tried all the usual tricks - shifting into drive, neutral, rear, park, etc, moving the steering wheel back and forth while trying to take the key out but to no avail. I don't think the steering wheel is even locked. It seems like the car isn't recognizing that it's in park.

When I called Volvo Roadside Assistance, they suggested I be towed to the dealer for them to take a look on Monday. I can drive there myself, but then I'd have to leave the key in the ignition - really smart idea for the car not to be stolen. So, the car is currently in my garage, and I've disconnected the battery so it doesn't drain completely.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Volvo <3er
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
zdiddy
post Apr 8 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 40,784
Drives: Volvo S40

I came searching this forum to see if anyone else was having this problem. This happened to me a few days ago, i put the key in try to start it up, it starts for a second and then completely just dies on me. This is the first problem ive had with the car besides the brakes screaching when i reverse. And i dont know what to do. AAA didnt even know what was wrong. I thought my car had to be jumped but that wasnt the case. The following day i put my key in the ignition to try and see what was wrong, no response when i turned the key, so i try to take the key out and it is stuck at the very last little click. This is especially annoying because the car is in the driveway, unlocked (power is completely dead, the key nor the inside buttons will even unlock/lock the car.)

QuoteReply
andy34
post Apr 17 2008, 05:54 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 38,932
Drives: 2004 S40 2.0D SE

I had this problem a few weeks ago. Parked the car on the drive....went in the house...came out and put key in the ingnition...turned to start and nothing.....tried to take key out but it would not realese. I rang local vovlo gagrage who could not hepl over the phone and asked if I could get the car to them!!!

Then rang a mate who has been in the industry for many years and he told me to check the battery connections.....and yes the positive lead was loose. Even though the dash lights were on, because it was loose it caused the ignition problem.

Tightened the terminal and up to now....no problems

QuoteReply
MRVOLVOFIXIT
post Apr 26 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 41,404
Drives: 1994 850

most likely by the time you read this your volvo shop will have fixed it. but from what you described it sounds like the ignition switch is faulty. this is not real real
typical but we see it from time to time. somtimes the steering wheel wont even
unlock making towing a big problem. but once you get that new ignition swich in you should be ok

QuoteReply
swansong86
post Jun 15 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 44,121
Drives: 2006 V50 T5 AWD

Have same issue with 2006 V50. Key goes in & car starts fine & turns off ok - but cannot rotate to the 0 position to remove key. Sometimes can remove with jiggling the key (there is an audible "click" behind the ignition & this allows removal of key).

Think it needs full ignition replacement (happily under warranty).

My dealer said he'd never heard of the problem (& siad they couldn't have a look for a few days - NOT very helpful). Anyway, at leat now I know I'm not the only one to have this problem. :blush:

QuoteReply
chamomiami
post Jul 13 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 39,016
Drives: s40

happen to me yesterday... same thing... i just bring my girlfriend car jump start my "volvo s40 2.4i 2007" and i taked it to sears.. $154 new install battery and wala.

problem now is so far... the driver power window is no working as before, with a single touch go down/up, now have to let the finger there until reach close or open.. the rest still working propetly.

i guess i have to go to the dealer and spend there almots $400 to they do some king of reset to the car computer.

QuoteReply
mehdimusic
post Jul 15 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 40,735
Drives: VOLVO S40 2004.5

Donít worry about the driver window auto mode..... It will fix by itself after couple of weeks.... Iíve had same problems after disconnecting and connecting the battery.... I also had same problem with the Key!!! This car is really #@#$^%$#.... a lot of electronic problems.... I even wrote letter to VOVLO... you guys should do that too!!!!.... this is going to be my first and last VOLVO.... Good luck

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2004.5+) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Intermittent Starting Problem!
My 2001 C70 2L LPT has developed an intermittent starting problem.
6 bay72 957 15th August 2014 - 10:11 AM
Last post by: MJH
No New Posts Intermittent Failure Fob/remote
1 Jasper van Dijk 278 3rd July 2014 - 03:30 AM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Intermittent Speedometer/odometer Failure
Intermittent speedometer/odometer failure
2 budalla 369 2nd June 2014 - 07:57 AM
Last post by: moncharleskey
No New Posts Ignition Won't Turn Past 1st Postition
5 EagleBarra 462 11th March 2014 - 08:53 PM
Last post by: Deeks
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsKey Fob Only
Passenger door locks / unlocks
5 j6tuc 894 21st January 2014 - 12:26 AM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 09:15 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement