Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1982 B23e, Tappets or hydraulic lifters
Ned Kelly
post Mar 5 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,931
Drives: 1980 244 GL

hi guys, I have some good old fashioned tickety ticks from my tappets, question is does the B23e enging have adjustable tappets?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
manxman
post Mar 5 2008, 03:34 AM
Post #2

Expert

Member No.: 35,867
Drives: 9/'86 Courier Crew Cab Diesel, '80 Yamaha XT & SR 250's

I'm told its by shims-an expensive process, even by exchange. WARNING: Special tool req'd, ALWAYS insert shim with writing DOWN! (so it doesn't rub off).

QuoteReply
jaan
post Mar 6 2008, 07:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,951
Drives: volvo 240 gl 1989

They are adjustable but rarely need adjustment. The B23E engine, like all B23XXX engines made by Volvo are noisy beasts and that is the nature of them.
You asked about a good Volvo mech. in Sydney in another post- I can't tell you of a good one but I can sure tell you a bad one. Precision Automotive in Mascot/Botany- they rip you off plus they do very poor work. They have f**cked me around a few times, never again.
I have a 240 and do the basic stuff myself. For more complicated stuff I go to Killara Garage at Killara (on the Pacific Highway). They know Volvos (a couple of the older blokes worked at SVM Lindfield) and seem trustworthy. They're a bit pricey but I think it's worth it.
I used to have a Volvo with Kjet an it also had a rough idle- they all seem to. Don't worry about the motor- the B23 is one the toughest Volvo ever made- just clean the flame trap and change oil and filter regularly and they will go forever. The later version B230 is not as strong.
Also, another good Volvo website is www.brickboard.com and also www.turbobricks.com.

QuoteReply
240on280
post Mar 6 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #4

Expert

Member No.: 7,689
Drives: 2000 Volvo S70, 1988 Volvo 240, 1986 Volvo 245

The B23E shouldn't have excessive valve noise. A lot of the engine noise comes from the v-belts. If the noise is bothering you, you can fit a hood blanket from a 240 turbo which cuts the engine noise significantly. As Manxman said, the valve clearances are set with shims. In most cases, you only need to change a few shims as you can swap your existing shims around to get the correct clearances. You can do this yourself-take your time measuring all the clearances and shim sizes. There's a special tool for pulling the shims out with the cam in place but you can take the cam off and replace the shims that way if you want. If you take the cam off, it would be advisable to change the timing belts if it's old.

QuoteReply
Ned Kelly
post Mar 7 2008, 03:39 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 38,931
Drives: 1980 244 GL

Thanks guys, I know Killara Motors well, I grew up 2 streets away and used to know the owner etc. People have mentioned cleaning the flame trap but I still have no idea what it is or where it is, can someone help me? It's nice to hear the B23 is such a good motor. mine doesn't drip or burn any oil at all, just a bit tappety. My biggest problem is the worlds noisiest main fuel pump, it's driving me nuts. I am doing the inlet manifold gasket tomorrow, maybe that will kill some sounds and improve the idle a tad. The car is in such good nik I feel responsible to make it work perfectly and I am a bit fussy I guess. Keen on the hood blanket idea also but not sure what it is?

QuoteReply
Anna
post Mar 7 2008, 07:02 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 38,584
Drives: 1984 Volvo 240 GL

I have just replaced the head on my B23E engine, and found that the shims were a bit tricky to remove, but could be done with your fingers. Just that they are such a clean fit, they need to be drawn directly upwards, and they should then slide in/out fairly easily.

If there is any noise there, possibly it is the hushers underneath that may be worn. These are small rubber gizmos, like an o-ring that sit on top of the valve stem, dead centre of the shim.

I don't really see how it would be possible to remove these with the camshaft in place though, special tool or not.

QuoteReply
240on280
post Mar 7 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #7

Expert

Member No.: 7,689
Drives: 2000 Volvo S70, 1988 Volvo 240, 1986 Volvo 245

There are actually 2 special tools that you need. 5022 which presses down the tappet and 5026 which is a pair of special pliers for removing and installing the shims. Sorry for the confusion.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 1982 Turbo 240 (245) Weird Power Loss Issue (came And Went)
Ideas where to start troubleshooting?
0 coalminecanary 156 4th August 2014 - 09:33 PM
Last post by: coalminecanary
No New Posts 1982 Turbo Requires Many Start Attempts When Cold
fires up & dies several times, then starts and runs fine all day
6 coalminecanary 714 7th June 2013 - 09:00 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts 1982 245 - Dash Lights On But Key Is Not In Ignition
1 JazzInc 439 20th May 2012 - 10:48 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts 1982 Fuel Injectors
5 The Highlander 576 14th May 2012 - 11:45 AM
Last post by: robert240
No New Posts 1982 240
What to Look For
4 tscorda 4,437 3rd January 2012 - 11:19 PM
Last post by: Peerieelips

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 03:36 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement