Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Reduced Engine Performance, Loss of power with performance error
Jojhoe
post Feb 23 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,798
Drives: 2004 S60

2004 S60 Suddenly lost a lot of power while driving (non-highway) and the "Reduced Engine Performance" warning appeared. Depressing the gas pedal gave it only minimal power and the engine would not shift. Even in park, depressing the gas pedal would not rev the engine. Turning the car off and on produced the same warning message.

After overnight inactivity, the car started fine, but the Engine Service Required warning light was on. The car was towed and inspected at a Volvo service facility.

The reduction in engine performance could not be duplicated. A computer upgrade was performed and the Service Engine light cleared. They could not find anything else and said if it happened again to bring it in.

I believe this is a safety issue, since loosing power mid road can be dangerous on the highway.

Has anyone experience this problem and if so, have you found a cause or cure?

Thanks
Jojhoe

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
paulguy
post Mar 13 2008, 09:30 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 39,634
Drives: 2003 xc90 awd

Hi, it just happened to me, too, 2003 xc90 awd, while I was driving. Would love to hear what others have found.
thanks,
Paul

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Mar 13 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,684
Drives: formerly 2005 S60R

This might be helpful to read through...

http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?show...ine+performance

QuoteReply
MdUb
post Aug 16 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 46,980
Drives: 2004 S60R

This same exact problem just happened to me about 1 hour ago. I was driving on the freeway, pressed the gas pretty hard to pass someone and as soon as I got around them it felt like the engine cut off. There was absolutely no response whatsoever when pressing on the gas pedal and my speed reduced to about 40MPH. It Managed to reach to a safe speed (70MPH) after about 3 mins. I pulled off the freeway parked and turned the car off. Started it right back and and the engine started sputtering and shaking real bad. Turned it off again and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Started it again and it started fine, and also ran normal for another 10 minutes or so before it did the same thing and practically died. I then noticed the message in the display window "Reduced engine performance", which is very much an understatement.

My main concern is if this is covered by my warranty or not. I bought the car (2004 S60R) about 9 months ago, certified pre-owned with the 100,000 mile warranty. Has anyone else that experienced this problem managed to get it fixed? I haven't taken my car to the dealer yet for service or scheduled maintenance as I tend to be leary of dealers and their outrageous prices. Does anyone have any opinions or advice on taking my car to the Volvo dealer? I normally have it serviced at a local repair shop I trust, but with a problem like this, although hesitant, I would prefer to take it to the dealer. Any thoughts, comments, opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Aug 16 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #5

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 31,123

for mdub, you have a warranty. leery or not, WARRANTY. you paid for it, get them to fix it. local mech or not, if you have a warranty all the work should be done by them. getting it done somewhere else and then going for the big things at the dealer will just make them put your car last. i also don't like dealers, but if it's under warranty, crap, i'm there. and to everybody else, all we at the forum will tell you to take it to the dealer. with the electronics in todays vehicles, there is no magic wand to cure this. for you to be getting that message and reduced power means that this is something that a haynes manual and a wad of gum won't fix. good luck, but i wouldn't drive your cars until they get checked out.

QuoteReply
MdUb
post Aug 17 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 46,980
Drives: 2004 S60R

Point taken. I can't really argue with that advice. Thank you for the quick response and advice Mason. I had the idea in my head that this problem would somehow not be covered by my warranty, most likely due to bad experiences with previous cars and the associated dealer. I have no idea what the exact nature of the problem is, but I believe I am correct in the assumption that it will be covered by my warranty. It is clearly a problem with the engine itself or something that is logically or causally related to it, so it has to be covered.

I am having it towed to the dealership this afternoon. If anyone would like to know the cause of the problem and (hopefully) the solution let me know and I will let you know. Thanks again for the advice Mason.

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Aug 17 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #7

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 31,123

nobody knows better than myself about dealers. brand new audi s4 bought it with .08 miles in 2000. in 2004, the engine blows up because of sludge causing the cams to snap in half. not under warranty, owner fault. they serviced it, they took care of it. i never even opened the damn hood. no explanation. so i took the loss, burnt the car in my backyard and towed the remains and parked them in front of the audi dealership that i bought it from in city (new york) i left it there to accumulate two weeks worth of parking tickets and place a banner extolling the virtues of that crappy dealership and audi north america. anyway, it's a known quirk of the ecu, my logic (if there is any) is that with so many electronic doodads in them, and the fact that you bought it as a certified pre-owned volvo, let them do it. it's not like you are independantly wealthy, and if you are-adopt me :grin: i am housebroken, and even if you were, the car cost money. wow, i'm lightheaded from the top of this soapbox :thumbsup:

QuoteReply
Denverspeed
post Apr 7 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 52,589
Drives: 2005 s40 T5 AWD

My 2005 T5 AWD just started doing something similar. The "Reduced Engine Performance" message comes on intermittently, and I lose power and the shifting seems "off". I can't tell if it's the turbo or the transmission or something else, but I do notice that I can take it out of Drive and use the triptronic shifter and it seems like it's working correctly. I am dropping the car off at the shop tomorrow, and we'll see what they have to say.

QuoteReply
chris505
post Feb 15 2010, 05:14 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 68,946
Drives: volvo v70 r

QUOTE (S60 R @ Mar 13 2008, 06:04 PM)
This might be helpful to read through...

http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?show...ine+performance

I happened also once with my 2004 v70 R. Light came up and couldn't start the engine. Turned around that's all. After a few minutes the light went of and the car started as if nothing happened. Car was just service, new battery, cleaned intercooler, new gauges.

I think it's just an safety thing nothing to worry about.

QuoteReply
VolvoBadger
post Jun 28 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 74,696
Drives: 2006 S60

What sounds like a similar problem to this series of posts just happened to me. 2006 S60, I was coming off the highway, and when I was nearly at a stop at low speeds, it felt as if the engine cut off and I could not continue driving. I turned off the car and tried to re-start a few times. I don't recall getting the warning message that others have mentioned however. Of course, after I called the towing service, I tried to start it up again and it re-started fine. Very strange.

My question is, can anything be done by bringing it into the dealer? Won't they need some sort of light or evidence of failure to diagnose a problem? I'm just leery of taking the car longer distances and having this happen somewhere hours away.

any input would be appreciated, thanks.

QuoteReply
60t5
post Aug 7 2010, 05:01 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 42,811
Drives: 2001 volvo s60 t5

QUOTE (VolvoBadger @ Jun 29 2010, 04:56 AM)
What sounds like a similar problem to this series of posts just happened to me. 2006 S60, I was coming off the highway, and when I was nearly at a stop at low speeds, it felt as if the engine cut off and I could not continue driving. I turned off the car and tried to re-start a few times. I don't recall getting the warning message that others have mentioned however. Of course, after I called the towing service, I tried to start it up again and it re-started fine. Very strange.

My question is, can anything be done by bringing it into the dealer? Won't they need some sort of light or evidence of failure to diagnose a problem? I'm just leery of taking the car longer distances and having this happen somewhere hours away.

any input would be appreciated, thanks.

hi all, being follwoing this kind of problem for long. Really wonder is there anything that we could do to prevent it?????? i mean preventive measure like servicing certain parts to prevent it goinginto limp mode.

thanks.

QuoteReply
tinto99
post May 2 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 28,360
Drives: 2006 Volvo S60 2.5T

This happened to me today.

This morning, car wouldn't start first try, then started. In slow traffic on the bridge, it conks out. I re-start and get to work safely. I didn't notice any messages, but then I hardly looked.

This afternoon, leaving work, difficulty starting again. Then starts, conks out with the message 'reduced engine performance'. I also got another message 'anti-skid service required' at the same time, not sure if coincidence.

Anyway, any new info on this error message? I should mention, it is a very misty, rainy day, maybe some ignition problems, plugs, etc in these conditions?

QuoteReply
alisam
post May 19 2011, 02:12 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 50,096
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60 T5

I had the same problem about a month ago.
It is very scary on a motorway (3 times in 1 trip) to get the Reduced Engine Performance message and I limped to the local Volvo dealer.
The first time the 2001 S60 T5 went into the dealer, they thought it was the out of date software.
So they downloaded that from Sweden (and of course charge a stupid amount for the privilege).
The car was OK for a week, but it happened again, fortunately in my garage.
I had it towed back to the dealer and they replaced the ETM (I think Engine Throttle Mounting) which is not cheap (but then again it is a European car in NZ).
The car has been OK for about 3 weeks now.

QuoteReply
J. A. Higgins
post May 19 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 84,064
Drives: 2002 Volvo S 60 AWD

ETM = Electronic Throttle Module, a common nuisance that has spurned many a Volvo owner. At least Volvo has extended the warranty on this part to 10 years.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Engine Immobilised !
Volvo Guard Alarm playing up.
4 slicknick 280 11th January 2014 - 09:41 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Engine Electronic Lamp
2 Soft 323 31st October 2013 - 02:44 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Engine Knocking
1 Begibbs1 545 9th September 2013 - 05:08 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Engine Cut Out Due To Key
2 JuanHiggs 538 31st July 2013 - 11:00 AM
Last post by: JuanHiggs
No New Posts Engine System Service Required
1 vmrdoug 1,234 29th July 2013 - 01:37 AM
Last post by: Peelot

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:16 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement