Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Volvo 940--1994 Oil Leak---please Read, PLEASE READ
volvogirl940
post Feb 7 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,042
Drives: 1994 Volvo 940 non turbo

:banana: My car as 163400ish miles. I bought it used about a year and a half ago. I have had to get some work done to it, I was also rear ended...other wise good car. Recently as in the last 2 months or so I have acquired an oil leak. Puddles of oil underneath the car a little to the right, varies as to the amount and leaks at least twice a day but not everyday. During an oil change the mechanic said rear main seal...$600. My dad, being dad had his mechanic look at it and said nothing was wrong! I had taken pics and everything. I have oil all over the hood of my car, and windshield, plus the puddles and having to add oil to it at least every other day depending on how much it leaks, etc. Another mechanic says it's something to do with a distributor seal (i can't remember exactly what was said he showed it to me and it was leaking, i watch every mechanic every time no matter what!) it was literally dripping in front of us. So i know i'm not crazy. If someone has had this problem and can tell me more about it, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather fix the distributor thing for about 600 dollars less, however if that doesn't fix the problem i don't want to. I also have issues with smelling gas fumes randomly, usually on warmer days or longer drives. No leaks or anything have been found, just wondering if others have this issue too.

Thanks and all help is appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Feb 7 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 31,123

I knd of agree with the rear main seal answer. never heard of a leak from the distributor.

QuoteReply
love2hatemy850T
post Feb 11 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 36,839
Drives: '95 850T

Hello there, I beleive the 940 to be a rear wheel drive so the rear main seal would be basically in the direct centre of the car. You said your leak is off to the right. Just about the same place the oil filter is located. That is if you mean off to the right side of the car while sitting in it. Sometimes it is hard to find the exact location of the leak with all that fluid sprayed around.Best thing would be to buy some de-greaser and clean the whole area up.Take it for a tour to dry up.Then place a fresh piece of cardboard down under the spot you think it is leaking.This might give you a better idea of where to look for the leak.

QuoteReply
Ryan 20
post Feb 15 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #4

Expert

Member No.: 25,669
Drives: 1984 Volvo 245 DL

It could be leaking from the distributor its mounted on the back of the engine cylinder head check the flame trap to if its clogged it can cause oil leaks.

QuoteReply
atic-attac
post Mar 26 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 40,197
Drives: 940 GLE

Check your crankcase breather system,
sound like its clogged up & not been replaced - if you leave it unsorted it will blow seals & rear main is a common one to get blown because the breather has not been serviced :huh:
See http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/Eng...%20A%20Treatise

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo?
Why Volvo?
0 supero 257 23rd September 2014 - 08:33 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Volvo V40 T4 - Knob Safety Lock
5 KONE 1,424 15th September 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: masud ali
No New Posts Volvo 240gl Wagon For Sale Near Perth Wa
Volvo 240GL wagon for sale near Perth WA
0 lee_ricketts1 186 6th September 2014 - 05:43 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsVolvo 240gl Wagon For Sale
Selling 240GL
0 lee_ricketts1 355 2nd September 2014 - 10:02 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Volvo Forum Is Boring!
not enough participation
2 supero 344 30th August 2014 - 11:30 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 08:05 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement