Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Knocking Sound From Under Car, Urgent help required - end of warranty
Marie11111
post Jan 28 2008, 06:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,588
Drives: XC 90

Hi

My XC90 has suffered with a intermittent knocking problem from new, the sound coming from under the car, but from a variety of different places. The vehicle is now nearing the end of its warranty. The dealership has been unable to fix the problem, despite repeated attempts. Most recently when they had the car back in, it came back worse than it started, this time with the noise coming distinclty from the offside rear underside of the car when going over bumps or through holes in the road.

Research on various forums has come up with a few possible causes: right rear shock, rear spring seat insulators, and 'sway bars'. I have quoted these possibilities to the dealer, who hasn't even heard of 'sway bars', though this has been mentioned a couple of times on one forum. I wonder if it is a piece of US terminology? Can anybody enlighten me?

Has anyone else had these problems? Has anyone else managed to get them fixed?

My dealer informs me that once outside warranty, fixing this problem will be at my cost. Can this be right? Is there no guarantee on work done within warranty? Surely, this would mean that a dealer could make any claim about work they have done within warranty, with no come back on the quality of the work once the vehicle is outside warranty. The dealer says there's no warranty on work I 'haven't paid for'. I certainly feel that I have paid for it in the purchase price of the car, but there doesn't seem to be much point in arguing this one without any back up.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Marie
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Chiuchutrain
post Feb 13 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 38,379
Drives: 2006 XC 90 AWD

I have a similar knocking noise problem coming from the front left side of my car. Almost every time when the car coming to a stop or going down hill. I have taken my car to the dealer 6 times but they haven't been able to fix the problem. I had the sway bar taken off but it did not solved the problem. Your dealer must be retarded for not knowing about the sway bar!!!

QuoteReply
cmaus825
post Feb 14 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 38,397
Drives: 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD

I have the knocking sound coming from the same place as well. I have not yet addressed it w/ the dealer. I was thinking spare tire movement possibly, but have not yet checked into it...I have only had the car for a few months - the sound has been notable for the last couple of months.

QuoteReply
jks2
post Feb 14 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,518
Drives: 2007 Mercedes C230 Sport, 2007 Chevrolet Equinox (Daughter), 2003 Saab 9-3 (Son), 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe (Tow Vehicle), 2000 Ranger R83 Bass Boat

It is actually an anti sway bar. It could also be an exhaust hanger problem. I know that was a problem with some other Volvo's. Part of the exhaust was rattling against the vehicle. It's worth a look.

QuoteReply
Diego@Atlanta
post Feb 16 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 38,503
Drives: 2003 XC90 T6AWD

I have a 2003 XC90 T6AWD. I have had a number of problems with knocking sounds, mainly when braking and turning.

Over the past 2 years, I had the lower control arms, ball joints, steering rack, rotors, prop shaft and the rear right shock absorber.

The noise would go away and come back shortly thereafter.

One explanation I was given was that, when the rotor develops a lip, the brake pads 'mount' on that lip and fall back in place, to then mount again, etc. This would produce a series of 'clunks' when braking and turning, mainly at low speeds.

Regarding the answer you got from the dealer, I would simply tell them to do one of two things:

1- fix the problem
2- get Volvo to cover for their inability to do so.

In either case, it is not your fault and you should not pay for repairing that has failed while the vehicle was under warranty.

Hope this helps.

Diego

QuoteReply
atlantadriver
post Jul 7 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 44,158
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC 90

Ask the dealer to check the motor mount. Mine made knocking sounds during acceleration and it cost around $180 to get it replaced by a non-volvo mechanic.

QuoteReply
NickMc
post Oct 30 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 92,474
Drives: Rubbish - At the moment!

Hi Guys,

I know this is an old thread but I am currently searching for an answer to this question. I recently purchased a new XC90 2011 model from the dealer in August. I am now having the same problem with the knocking noise coming from the front of the car on braking and slow turning (U-turns etc).

Did the any one find out what the cause of the problem was? I have my car in at the Volvo dealer now but I am expecting them to say they can't find anything, as usual!

Thanks for the help.

Nick.

QuoteReply
Tatunka
post Jan 21 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 102,731
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC 90 AWD

Try this tech bulletin on your next visit. I also had a problem with a clunking noise at slow speeds while turning with my XC90. Same response as everyone else. Can't find it or hear it. Torqued the front end , checked steering etc... Well... got the service mgr to hear it . He did some research and found a tech bulletin titles "17 inch front brakes, knocking noise while turning"
Ref # US22751.1.0 en-GB

Tech Journal# 22751

Description: A knocking noise may be heard from the front brakes and turning at low speeds

Service: If the noise is confirmed to be coming from the front brakes , clean the brake pad mounting surface on the brake caliper and brake caliper bracket and then apply silicone grease accordingly

Long story short. It worked. It's an issue with the calipers. That was Aug of 2010. Now the noise is back. Guess the grease ran dry. Taking it back in early Feb and I'll let you know.

PS: If its the same problem I am having just go about 5-10 mph in a parking lot then lightly apply the brakes with/without turning you should hear the clunk. The clunk goes away until you start moving again and calipers retracts back.

QuoteReply
uh60pic
post Feb 9 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 103,622
Drives: 2012 Volvo XC90

Hi, I had a same problem with my brand new 2012 XC90. Knocking sound from front end when brake was applied, especially making a left turn at low speed with brake applied. Firt time I took it to the dealer, they didn't find anything wrong. After reading Tatunka's post, I took the vehicle to the dealer again earlier today and told them about the technical bulletin. They did some research and found out there WAS a tech bulletin addressing the problem on XC90s. The dealer told me that when XC90s were manufacutred at the factory they didn't apply any grease on the brakes. So, they used $14 worth of grease on my XC90, and the knocking sound was gone. Hopefully it stays that way.

I hope this helps you also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsCarb Conversion On A 245 B23f
Quick and dirty solution to a badly deteriorated FI system.
6 ejbrush 914 3rd October 2014 - 10:31 PM
Last post by: ecolo
No New Posts Carbon Fiber Or Wood Finish For Xc60 Dash
2 CarID 322 21st July 2014 - 02:15 AM
Last post by: CarID
No New Posts From Portugal, New Kid In Town!
1 CBD 309 13th December 2013 - 05:04 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Carid's Facebook Channel Updates.
8 CarID 488 27th November 2013 - 07:02 AM
Last post by: CarID
No New Posts Understanding Volvo Part Numbers And Chassis Numbers
0 eccl1213 451 23rd September 2013 - 04:42 PM
Last post by: eccl1213

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 05:11 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement