Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Excessive Oil Consumption, S60 Turbo 5qts low!
Bauchou
post Sep 28 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,600
Drives: 2002 Volvo T5 AWD

Hi everyone,

HELP!
Two months ago I bought an S60 Turbo from a used dealer with no warranty (big mistake?!). They had changed the oil before I purchased the car, and I also had a trusted tech from another dealer do a thorough check on the car before I bought it. I have put about 2,000 miles on the car, and made the mistake of not checking the oil since I purchased it assuming it was fine.

Yesterday, on three occaisions while the car was idling, the "No Oil Pressure - Stop Engine" signal came on for about 2 seconds and went off. After returning home, I checked the oil and the dipstick was dry! My husband added 5qts :o and we checked the ground and under to car to look for a leak, but no sign of any oil. There was no unsual smell and we haven't noticed any smoke coming from the exhaust. The car seems to have been running perfectly fine!

Does anyone have an idea of what could cause 5 qts of oil to disappear!?? I am concerned that I have just bought myself an expensive problem... If that is the case, is anyone aware of some kind of law that protects buyers from such situations? *wishful thinking I'm afraid*

Thanks for any ideas and advice!!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Sep 28 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,684
Drives: formerly 2005 S60R

It may be wishful thinking, but if you haven't noticed any smoke or smell, maybe they just never put enough oil in when they changed it...granted, they would have forgotten alot, but you never know. I would check it a couple times a week for a while and see how it goes.

And maybe put a quart or two in the trunk...

QuoteReply
Volvo Virgin
post Sep 29 2007, 04:24 AM
Post #3

Expert

Member No.: 17,785
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60 T S

That sure is alot of oil to put in.

Did you check the oil when you looked at the car or when you picked it up ?

I think some people underestimate the amount of oil these things can take.

A similar thing happened to me when I got my S60, it had just been serviced (non Volvo) and the level was half way between MIN/MAX when I picked it up.
However after driving a couple of thousand miles I checked the level on the dipstick and it was just under the MIN and it took just over 2 litres to bring it up to just under the MAX.

However I have no idea what oil they used and I believe it's not unusual for the engine to burn a litre or so every 2-3K (I have the 2.0 turbo)

I like to keep the level on mine just under the MAX (ckecking when cool/cold) and I would agree with S60R and always carry some oil with you in the trunk .... I always do!

QuoteReply
Bauchou
post Oct 1 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 30,600
Drives: 2002 Volvo T5 AWD

Thanks for the replies!
I had the car checked over thoroughly before I decided to purchase it, so I feel pretty confident that the oil level was okay. My husband thinks he checked it also. I have to admit, I have my doubts about the capability of the mechanic at the small dealership (non Volvo) I bought the car from, although I don't really have any sound evidence to back that up.

My husband called the saleswoman we dealt with on the purchase, and she actually said for me to bring the car in today so they would check it for a leak. So, I guess we'll see if they find anything.

After we added the 5qts of oil 4 days ago, I have checked the oil a couple times and the level has not changed. I have been keeping an extra quart of oil in the car just in case! :thumbsup:

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Oil Pan
How to remove
0 Fernando 34 3rd April 2014 - 07:28 AM
Last post by: Fernando
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsOil Leak Behind Engine Top / Smoke Coming From Burned Oil
1 flatlander84 174 11th March 2014 - 08:41 PM
Last post by: Deeks
No New Posts Oil Dipstick Tube
0 KeithZ 166 28th February 2014 - 08:43 AM
Last post by: KeithZ
No New Posts Oil Pressure Light Flickering
low oil pressure
4 epicsurfjr 545 15th July 2013 - 10:31 PM
Last post by: SeaMike
No New Posts Oil Change V50
how much oil
3 nutrunner 2,004 18th May 2013 - 10:51 AM
Last post by: pkrface

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 02:33 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement