Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1991 Volvo 740 Fuel Pump Problem, Engine doesn't always
PortlandOregon
post Sep 25 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,880
Drives: 1991 Volvo 740 Wagon

Hi Everyone.. this is my first post.. so thanks in advance for any and all advice. I own a 1991 Volvo 740 wagon with 125k miles that I bought used with 120k on it.

Recently I've experience the following problem.

My fuel pump doesn't always work so my car doesn't always start. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't and I haven't identified a pattern. When it doesn't start.. I just wait a while.. and then it does. It can be running fine and then I turn it off and it doesn't restart. I can be driving down the road and lose engine power.

When I hear the fuel pump (in the gas tank) the car starts. When I don't hear the fuel pump turn on the car doesn't start. (surprise surprise)

When I hold the Fuel pump relay (located behind the lighter socket) with my finger I always feel it click whether it starts or not. The date on the fuel pump relay switch indicates it's four years old.

My current thought is
A) either the pump is bad and turning on and off intermittently, or
B) I have a electrical problem.. either power or ground.

I've completely cleaned my battery terminals thinking that was the problem but that didn't help. I've also tried jiggling he electrical wires on the battery terminal but that doesn't seem to help.

so.. my questions..
1) how is the pump powered.. via the battery?
2) Can pumps fail intermittently? i.e. sometimes they run and other times they don't?
3) do Fuel relay pump switches fail intermittently? A fuel relay pump switch is a $41 part which I'd hate to replace if it's not broken particular if I have to budget for a fuel pump replacement
4) has anyone scene replacing a fuel pump in this model documented anywhere as a DIY job?
5) any other things I might consider checking.. either electrical or otherwise in terms of figuring out why the pump works sometimes and other times not.

Sure seems like a pain to get to the actual Fuel Pump.

Again.. thanks for the read and any suggestions in advance.

Anthony
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
flamingredfish
post Sep 26 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 32,998
Drives: 940 turbo 1991 on H plate

hi, ive just had the same problem with my 940 turbo
1 check your fuel pump relay
2 could be a faulty ecu unit,its a common fault with this model this could be expensive so look on e bay , see part no this is on the unit make sure this matches
3 to by pass the ecu ive wired my fuel pump direct to the fuse box, i checked with Volvo and they say this is ok for a temp fix however the pump will be permanently running , the pump has an outlet for unwanted fuel to an overflow reseviour so you cannot flood

QuoteReply
owlsurfer
post Oct 10 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,532
Drives: volvo 740 estate gl auto 1990

Hi, I had a similar problem with the fuel relay in France last year,on inspection of the relay after removing it's green plastic cover,I noticed that the printed circuit board was overheating on one of the pins, the solder had melted giving a dry joint and subsequent intermitant fault,cured mine in minutes with a soldering iron,I tend to carry a spare,must be quite common as this has happened on two previous occasions,worth a look,could save you loads of the hard earned cash,good luck :57:

QuoteReply
Login:j0sie27
post Oct 10 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 30,744
Drives: 2004 S60 R / 1987 740 TURBO WAGON

i had the same problem on my 87-740.....first i replaced the fuel pump relay........it turns out that i needed a new fuel pump..car has been running like a chap ever since...be prepared to spend $500..there are 2 fuel pumps...the in tank one is about $150, the in line fuel pump is about $350

good luck!

QuoteReply
PortlandOregon
post Oct 19 2007, 08:00 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 32,880
Drives: 1991 Volvo 740 Wagon

Thanks folks - I replaced my fuel pump relay.. $40 at Napa (though If I'd know I could have gotten a 7% AAA discount. Napa refused to offer me the discount retroactively when I went to return the relay because that wasn't the problem. I think its the in tank pump. (it seems to be under duress when I listen to it. I actually banged on the tank with a rock and it seemed to sound better (and start)). Anyone have a handy link to a repair procedure to replace the in tank fuel pump on a 1991 volvo 740?

Thanks everyone for the replies. Regards, Anthony

QuoteReply
740_FAN
post Nov 8 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 34,457
Drives: Volvo 740 GLE, 740GL, 740

I think I read somewhere that the in-tank fuel pump is crucial for fuel level in the tank below half; when the tank is full, it's malfunction should cause no special problems. Is this correct?

QuoteReply
cedonn
post Apr 7 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 40,721
Drives: 91 volvo 740

some 740's have only in- tank fuel pump.
Removal is hassle. Any help appreciated. URGENT!!

QuoteReply
xoneinax
post Apr 21 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 41,397
Drives: 1991 VOLVO 740 TURBO

1991 740 Turbo

Sometimes when driving around town or on freeway, I experience a brief loss of power. Occurs every couple of weeks or so, not a constant issue. Sound more like a fuel filter, fuel pump relay, or fuel pump problem ?

QuoteReply
SykO
post Apr 22 2008, 06:05 AM
Post #9

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 19,150
Drives: 1989 740 SE AUTO, 1993 940GLE Turbo 2.0i

740 in tank fuel pump removal - this is from my memory as i got bored one time and was interested in what a random metal plate was covering :)

Open the boot
open the bonnet - disconnect negative terminal.
lift carpet at the back fo the boot, and you will find a rectangular plate secured by 4 bolts
remove the bolts and the plate

you will see a round unit with a few wires and pipes, this is where the level sender and pump is located.

around this unit is a big screw cap, i think this undoes if you turn it clockwise ... not sure on that

thats how you remove it

be careful when you replace it though and dont knock the sender either as if it goes back in at a funny angle you get all sorts of funny fueling problems when you start to get near half way point in the tank and yout fuel tank meter will be way off!!

Matt

PS - this is the fuel tank your dealing with so please DO NOT smoke or do this with battery terminals connected or anything cos you will blow yourself up or something and i would hate to know that by not putting this warning and you did do it i could be atrributed to causing your immediate death.

QuoteReply
xoneinax
post Sep 12 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #10

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo
Brand new fuel filter installed (that was tough, had to hacksaw the old one off !), Gas tank full with premium
No smoke of any kind at any time

Intermittent sluggish problem more prevalent now :
-When cruising on freeway at cruising speed (60 mph), RPMs will decrease for a few seconds (e.g. 2500 drifts down to 2000) and come back up
-Feels like running out of gas if I was to describe it

-Occasionally, when driving at parking lot speed (10 mph) and turning to park or go around a corner, feels like car is going to stall or cut out; but never does. RPMs go down to 300 and erratically drift up and down b/t 300 and 900 for a few minutes.

Sort of think my intank fuel pump is bad, or its filter sock is clogged up ?

www.a-1injectors.com/fuel-pumps/volvo.htm]http://www.a-1injectors.com/fuel-pumps/volvo.htm
DELPHI Part # FE0069
CARTER Part # P72206
AIRTEX # E8186
VOLVO 740(744) 2.0 2.3 2.3TURBO 08/83-07/90
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/841348069.html
volvo scan tool

QuoteReply
xoneinax
post Sep 12 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #11

And on incline or small hills, I notice this problem also occurs quite frequently

QuoteReply
xoneinax
post Sep 15 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #12

And when I am moving at say over 50mph and there is a small dip or rise in the highway that causes the car to fall and rise, I notice a hesitation and RPM dip from 2500 down to 1900 or so.

Happens even when gas tank is full.

QuoteReply
Wagonmomfp
post Apr 3 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 85,878
Drives: 1990 740 wagon

Having trouble with installing the fuel pump on this car for momma (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .This car has the single pump "internal pump", I got it out and purchased a new one with screen but im a little confused on the wires that came with the new pump. There is a gray and black wire with the new one with connectors. The one in there now is a red/pink and black wire and everything is soldered. Here is a photo of the pump in there now

(IMG:http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/Melspace02/pump1.jpg)

The wires are soldered at the pump and there soldered at the bottom of the round plastic fuel tank cap where the wires go in. Im wondering how to connect the wires at that position? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

QuoteReply
Maxy
post Aug 23 2011, 07:02 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 90,275
Drives: Volvo V40

I have a system of 91 740 in Regina, it has a pump in the fuel tank. You can try to turn the key to position II (not to start the car, radio, fan and AC off), you should be able to hear the fuel pump turns on for about 1.5 seconds for a pressure in the fuel system. I believe in your fuse box of the fuse 1, the fuel pump, it checked.

QuoteReply
Scouttah
post Aug 23 2011, 09:24 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 16,539
Drives: 1991 Volvo 740 GL

QUOTE (Wagonmomfp @ Apr 3 2011, 03:52 PM)
Having trouble with installing the fuel pump on this car for momma (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .This car has the single pump "internal pump", I got it out and purchased a new one with screen but im a little confused on the wires that came with the new pump. There is a gray and black wire with the new one with connectors. The one in there now is a red/pink and black wire and everything is soldered. Here is a photo of the pump in there now

The wires are soldered at the pump and there soldered at the bottom of the round plastic fuel tank cap where the wires go in. Im wondering how to connect the wires at that position? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

When I replaced the pump on my Regina fuel system I ran into the same issue. In the instructions for the new pump it tells you which new wire is the ground, you need to connect the new ground to the black wire and the new positive wire to the red one. I used crimp connectors to connect the wires. You have to cut the wires in order to remove the old pump. Be sure that you cut the wires on the part that goes inside the tank.

Also, when you go to install the pump you need to line up the two marks on the sending unit top with the seam on the tank. This is the link I used: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/FuelTankSe...Replacement.htm

QuoteReply
GlobalCarDealers
post Oct 22 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 96,119
Drives: Honda Accord

I too was facing with the same problem with my car, but then i replaced the fuel pump relay and then it worked fine without any problem.

QuoteReply
90volvo740
post Dec 8 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 99,714
Drives: 1990 Volvo 740 GL

Since you're losing fuel pressure at highway speeds, I'm curious how old your fuel filter is. If it's clogged your car will sip tiny amounts of fuel instead of having normal free flow. If your car has one fuel pump you have the Regina type fuel delivery system and the filter is almost dead center of the vehicle, just left of the transmission well. The non Regina type fuel delivery system will place the fuel pump and filter somewhere along the right frame rail if my memory serves correctly. I hope I haven't steered you in the wrong direction. Good luck.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 740 & 760 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo Starting
FUEL ? SENSOR?
6 claudeworld 200 10th July 2014 - 11:16 PM
Last post by: claudeworld
No New Posts Volvo C70 2002 - Srs Light 0085 Code
unable to clear code 0085 Left SIPS air bag signal missing
1 Awesome Fury 94 19th June 2014 - 11:55 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo Parts - Australia
3 voluto.com.au 622 17th June 2014 - 08:12 PM
Last post by: Awesome Fury
No New Posts Volvo 240 Engine
Engine problems
0 mrvos 183 13th June 2014 - 05:12 PM
Last post by: mrvos
No New Posts Volvo Infotainment System Of Your Dream
0 GROM Audio 155 3rd June 2014 - 12:07 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 09:50 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement