Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 05 Roof Leak Issues
ericzombie
post Sep 18 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,729
Drives: '05 S40, owned 940 wagon since '93

Hi!

I'm new here on these forums, but I come seeking answers and others experiences.

I bought my S40 back in the summer of 05 after selling my family's 1993 940 stationwagon that served us so well for so long.

The issue that I'm looking for help with is that my freakin' car's roof has leaked 3 times since I purchased it, been repaired 4 times under warranty, once charging me an hour of labor fees, and I'm just really displeased with how Volvo is handling it.

More specifically, the front two pillars have clogged each time, filling the floor of the cabin with water, most recently causing rust damage and requiring the cabin carpet to be replaced. Every time they have said that it was debris that blocked up the drains, causing the flood, but I do not park under a tree, and in fact park over 200-500 feet from any trees at all, even though my car has been parked outside, usually under a covering. The most recent time, the service manager told me that through use of the sunroof (which I hardly ever use) I jammed debris into the drains causing a catastrophic flood in my car, causing it to smell at first like an animal died in my car.

I just don't get it. My 1993 volvo stationwagon worked great for me for 130,000+ miles, and it had a sunroof and drains, however they never had a problem in ALL the years we had it. I guess maybe some Ford was put into the S40s :(

I spoke to the service advisor about other instances of this and he said he's seen it now and then in almost all of the new volvo line. I asked how they keep the lot cars from leaking while they're under trees and that build up tons of debris, and he said they just wash the cars once a week and clean the drains and such. That's insane. I was once told by a different dealership's service manager to not use my car outside.... I said "you mean I can't use my car outside," and he said "yup." Que double-take....

So if anyone has heard of this problem, or has any suggestions on what to do, please let me know.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Ghent
post Sep 19 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 32,131
Drives: 2005 S40

Sounds like dealer double talk. I also have a '05 and were I live we've experienced one of the wettest years on record. It has rained like crazy, yet my S40 sits outside all the time and there have been no problems with sunroof leaks at all. Quite simply, the car was expressly designed and extensively tested to not leak. However, since it is leaking, something clearly is wrong it and the dealer needs to fix it - not give you weak excuses.

If another dealership is near you, I would consider visiting them for their take on resolving the matter. If you don't get satisfaction with them then plan on escalating the issue to Volvo USA.

QuoteReply
ElectricSilver T...
post Sep 20 2007, 01:39 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,504
Drives: 2006 Volvo S40 T5

You should call Volvo Customer Care (1-800-458-1552) and explain your issues to them. They should be able to help you; Iíve never had to call them, but Iíve heard that they have helped people out a lot.

QuoteReply
djcll6121
post Sep 23 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,176
Drives: 2007 Volvo S40 2.4i

I'm not sure of the lemon laws where you live but in NY, if you have to have your car serviced multiple times for the same problem they have to cut you a check for the full amount you paid for the car. I would really look into this if i were you and just get a brand new car

QuoteReply
owenmpk
post Sep 23 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,150
Drives: 1996 850, 1999 C70 Convertable, and 1978 Datsun Pickup

Yep look into the lemon laws. If a car is purchased in California you have lots of power to get all your money back plus repair bills, plus any rental car cost, plus attorney fees. I have a friend that is making a great living going after Ford for F250D owners.

QuoteReply
ericzombie
post Sep 24 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #6

Thank you all very much for your help.

I apologize for not responding back sooner as I just put another 1000 miles on my car driving across the state of FL. BTW the car is registered and was bought in FL. The lemon law to my understanding is 2 years in this state, and I had 3 repairs done in that time period, however it is past that period now, however I'm going to see what I can do with it regardless. I'm going to send a certified letter this week to Volvo corporate because over the phone they have not been very helpful, basicly giving myself and my mother (who the car is registered to) the cold shoulder, to the point of them "yelling" at her when she said that she wanted a new car in response to their "how should we fix it" question.

I'm glad to see that it isn't a common problem with anyone else, as it really really sucks.

On my drive it rained like hell out, however the car didn't leak the whole way. However after all the rain, I pulled into Tallahassee at 11:59PM, after not being in any rain for about 30 minutes or so, and a drip landed on my gas foot (I wear sandals a lot in FL). I was about to scream. I couldn't find where it came from, and I'm desperately hoping that it was a sheer fluke. Perhaps some statistical improbability of a drop of water flinging from one of the other 4 people in the car, or maybe spittle or something. Regardless I'm still worried.

I'll still keep following this thread, and thanks again to all those who made suggestions :)

QuoteReply
ericzombie
post Sep 25 2007, 01:15 AM
Post #7

Anyway I called Volvo and spoke with them today. They flat out told me that the car was out of lemon law warranty because of date even though the repairs were within date.

They said with a heavy hint of "I don't care" and a dash of sarcasm, "Well what do you want?" I replied "A car that doesn't leak" and nothing. She didn't even answer. Just sat there in silence until I said... Okay, at least an extension on the warranty since it's a factory problem and has been every time it was repaired. She said she'd forward the case to the regional director for my area and he'll review the case. When he's back from his week long vacation that started today.

I'm far too nice to these people because that's how I am, and I know they're going to tell me to bend over and take it up the arse and that this issue as well as any other I've had with my car was clearly my fault because I don't take good enough care of my car. The best was the suggestion of the service manager at Maroone Volvo in Delray Beach FL telling me that I can't use my car outside, as it will clog the drains and make my car leak. That one was a gem.

QuoteReply
ericzombie
post Dec 5 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #8

So I ended up talking with volvo a bunch, and finally they agreed to extending my warranty with a deductible. No compensation for all the times in the shop, but i can't complain much as they were very timely with their repairs (all under 1 week).

QuoteReply
Ghent
post Dec 8 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 32,131
Drives: 2005 S40

Glad to hear there was at least something. Thanks for updating us.

QuoteReply
raydar
post Dec 15 2007, 02:33 AM
Post #10

Senior

Member No.: 34,254
Drives: 2007 s80 d5

The s40 with sunroofs can have issues with the drain tubes clogging up, it does happen! At the bottem of the drain tubes they can become kinked/twisted making them block easy, perhaps the repairer is only blowing them out and not looking further into the problem for a 100% fix. Also at the very end of the drain tubes there is a restriction designed in that is like the pipe closing on itself, a litle trim of these flaps would be advised.

QuoteReply
Vole
post Dec 16 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 22,096
Drives: 2007 T5 S40/FWD

Raydar can you point us to where the drain tubes end, I'd like to check mine out but have no idea where to look?

QuoteReply
raydar
post Dec 17 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #12

Senior

Member No.: 34,254
Drives: 2007 s80 d5

sure m8 they end behind the skuttle panel (the plastic panel that the wiper shafts come through). The ends only just come down below the windscreen so you will need to look carefully at each side of the car to find them. Alarm siren will prob be in the way on one side.

QuoteReply
Philbert
post Jun 25 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 74,523
Drives: FZR 16

I used Sikaflex 227 to solve my leaks but I also had the roof lining out and found that where those leaks were there was bolts holding the rear section to the frame and they had rusted to the point they were not doing there intended job so I replaced them and thus pulled the sections closer together and with the sikaflex sealing it was perfect.

QuoteReply
ericzombie
post Jun 25 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (ericzombie @ Dec 6 2007, 12:21 AM)
So I ended up talking with volvo a bunch, and finally they agreed to extending my warranty with a deductible. No compensation for all the times in the shop, but i can't complain much as they were very timely with their repairs (all under 1 week).

Well, fast forward a number of years later, and my roof hasn't leaked since. They ended up replacing the entire drain line a number of times, and that fixed the clogging issues. They also had to take up the carpet in the front footwells and send it to a body shop to have some rust removed, the area re primed and painted, and that's about it. Only other issue I've seen with my car was a month or two ago the underside of the t-intersection of the first windshield washer sprayer fell out, so my sprayers didn't work. For $15 or so I replaced the t-intersection with the part from the dealership, and everything worked fine again.

Now I'm just riding on bald tires till tires are on sale again. Riding BFgoodrich KDWs, which were awesome but LOUD. Great for wet traction. I'm looking to switch to Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport when they go on sale at Costco in a week or two.

QuoteReply
FernC
post Sep 3 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 94,810
Drives: 2004.5 Volvo S40

Hi

I was thinking of applying sealant. How did you apply and where did you do so? Is the roof still functional in all ranges of motion> lift, slide etc? Glad to see someone has tried sealant. Has it solved the problem --long-term?

I have been having this leak issue--bought a used S40 2004.5 last August, and during the winter noticed ice on driver side foot well by the pedals--convinced myself that I had brought in the snow--this was a VOLVO, a leak was not likey. Then twice during a rainstorm noticed water puddles in same location, and convinced my self that the doors were open too long. During the recent Hurrican Irene (last week), I was out of town, and when I got in the car, after parking it open to the elements, there was a 2-3" puddle in the same location, that seemed to "spread" to the passenger front side and then to the rear foot wells. After googling, I discoverd the leaky drainage tubes for the sun roof were the issue and common to may Volvos--I love this car, but cannot have rust forming in the foot wells.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2004.5+) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 05 Xc90 Drivers Window
2 PAVOLVO 880 4th September 2014 - 11:51 PM
Last post by: OmniSci
No New Posts 05 Xc90 2.5t - Low Coolant **** Light
3 PAVOLVO 844 4th March 2014 - 11:02 AM
Last post by: PAVOLVO
No New Posts 05 S60 2.5t Auto Lock At Certain Speed
0 a14205 407 15th February 2014 - 03:51 PM
Last post by: a14205
No New Posts Leaking Window - 06 C70
1 arid 883 5th November 2013 - 09:04 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Leak Around Heater Matrix ?
2 Volvo Virgin 536 20th April 2013 - 06:15 PM
Last post by: Volvo Virgin

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 12:15 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement