Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 92 940 A/c Compressor Relay, LOCATION OF RELAY
nalanala
post Sep 10 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,333
Drives: 1992 Volvo 940 GL

My 92 940 ac works sometimes and sometimes the compressor won't engage. While checking the voltage to clutch I went back into car to check controls and popped the side of the center console where relays and fuses are. The clutch wire now had 12 volts. After removing ash tray I tried to get that center plastic tray out to access the relays. There is on screw on the bottom left near cigar. lighter which I removed but couldn't remove tray, seems to be stuck on left side. Any ideas on which relay controls ac clutch? The layout shows fuse location but not relays. I've pulled a dash apart on a Mazda but this Volvo is a different animal. To put all this behind the ashtray??? Thanks for any help.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
deadken
post Sep 10 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 6,601
Drives: '83 240 (250+k), '91 940 Turbo, + '92 940 (R.I.P. '93 940)

First I will give you what you asked for....
(IMG:http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/relay.jpg) (IMG:http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/relay3.jpg)

Then I will tell you what you need to know:
Providing everything else in the system is good, the most common source for your problem is the MCC (manual Climate Control). There is a problem where the relay and plug solder contacts get very small cracks in them.

First, remove the ashtray, then remove the small plastic cover around the cigarette lighter. Then remove that lighter/tray. After that you'll need to take out the radio (remove the knobs and then push in the two little tabs). A few more bolts/screws and you'll get out the climate control module. Remove the Vacuum and the Electrical plug and then take off the tin cover and take out the circuit board. Look where the relay is on the board (it's a black box approx. 1"x1"x1"). Flip the board over and just touch a soldering iron to the four (or is it six) contacts where the relay connects to the board. You just want to get the solder to melt and then let off so that they harden again. Just do one at a time and take your time. Then reheat each of the 20 or so main plug connections.

Re-assemble in reverse order and try out your A/C. I'd bet it will all work fine.

QuoteReply
nalanala
post Sep 11 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #3

Your information was very helpful. Small plastic cover over the front of cigar lighter was hiding those screws to get tray out. It has an after market strereo that has been installed very well. The small bundle of wires won't past behind plastic box that stereo is in, keeping me from pulling it out. Plus they are short. I can't see how to remove plastic box. Mounting cage (stereo) probably has tabs pushed out so I can't get heavy grainy plastic ring to pull off from dash. How do I get box out thats right above relays? Trying to add attachments.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  MVC_007F.JPG ( 91.98K ) Number of downloads: 65
Attached File  MVC_001F.JPG ( 122.41K ) Number of downloads: 113
Attached File  MVC_005F.JPG ( 150.74K ) Number of downloads: 59

QuoteReply
deadken
post Sep 11 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #4

Senior

You need to remove the stereo unit in order to get out that bracket that is covering the bottom of the MCC unit (in the center photo you attached). IIRC, you have to remove the stereo and then the 'box' can be unbolted from the 'inside'. I don't know exactly what kind of stereo you have or in what fashion it is mounted/secured. But certainly, until you get that out, you can't get out what is above it.

Center Photo

Dang... I don't know how you added your photos... I saved your center photo to my desktop, added circles and arrows in 'Paint' and then tried clicking on the 'Add This Attachment' button and choosing what I saved it as. But, it didn't work. Anyway, you know that you can't get it out without getting the bracket off (center photo, bottom right screw, at the 5 O'Clock postion of the 'Temperature' dial.

QuoteReply
nalanala
post Sep 12 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #5

From your answer I clicked "reply" then "browse". "Look in" hit down arrow and clicked on A drive, my floppy drive, where pics were (old style camera). Right click on pic to 'preview' just to see it. Then single click on pic file to highlight it , choose 'open' and pic file shows up in box beside Browse on volvo forum page. Then hit 'Add this Attachment' and the pic file will show up under that box (beside browse button). I think I kept hitting browse and all the above stuff for each of the pics. Finally I hit 'preview' and 'add reply'.
But I still hav'nt worked on or fixed Volvo. I got tied up at work. Plan on maybe cutting those wires to back of stereo and splicing in longer ones after I remove stereo. Thanks for a timely response. You might be able to press 'shift' on keyboard and click on more than one pic , like to highlight 3 pics, then hit
open.

QuoteReply
nalanala
post Sep 13 2007, 06:40 PM
Post #6

I had to cut some wires to stereo. Speaker wires were long enough but power grnd and ant. were not. Got it out and removed MCC. Extended short wires.Did just like you said and got it all back together. There were 4 on that relay. Tested A/C with push button, on and off - on and off... It worked every time. I'm very happy. Grateful for you advice and knowledge. The real test is a road test. That's when it was most troublesome. Whole family in car on a hot day. Thanks.
One other question. What is adjustable on engine that will keep it from sometimes shuttering and cutting off when a/c clutch engages? It starts , runs fine.On cold start a/c will kill it unless I pad the gas. I know turning up base idle is not the fix. Motor has been well taken care of and clean. Runs like sewing machine.
Also what is that barrel type connector shown in picture? Its not plugged in to anything but looks real heavy duty. Like a cannon plug.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  MVC_006F.JPG ( 162.91K ) Number of downloads: 49
Attached File  MVC_010F.JPG ( 177.47K ) Number of downloads: 38

QuoteReply
deadken
post Sep 13 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #7

Senior

IIRC, that plug is for the factory radio. Perhaps it is prewired for a trunk mounted CD changer? Can't exatly remember what it is for, but I will look at the back of my factory radio when I pull it from my Wifes car.

As for the idle, there is an 'idle solenoid' beneath your intake. It should vary the amount of air that bypasses your throttle butterfly depending on your idle RPM. I don't think you need to adjust it, but perhaps clean it or replace it. Before I did that, I would try cleaning the throttle body. IPD used to have a nice link on how to do it, but they have gotten rid of it. Perhaps someone here downloaded and saved it. If someone did, please post it here or PM it to me.

Meanwhile, check HERE for some tips and procedures on how to diagnose/clean your idle solenoid (IAC).

BTW: Congrats on your repair. I am sure that it will work fine from now on.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 940 Td Temp Needle Wont Rise
Advice requested what to check first
3 Conrad 357 16th April 2014 - 01:42 PM
Last post by: Conrad
No New Posts 940 Gl Performance
getting more umph from 940 GL
1 cossy 594 17th April 2013 - 03:04 AM
Last post by: johnny5212
No New Posts Ac Low Pressure Reading
HVAC not Working
0 pdchemist15 896 14th April 2013 - 06:47 PM
Last post by: pdchemist15
No New Posts 940 Non-turbo Late Gear Change When Cold
0 Albert Neil 686 14th April 2013 - 06:06 PM
Last post by: Albert Neil
No New Posts 92 Wagon Rear Springs Question
3 mapledell 488 27th December 2012 - 05:12 AM
Last post by: thefamilyman

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 11:23 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement