Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> '87 240 Won't Stay Running
Speedwagon
post Aug 17 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,122
Drives: '87 240

The car starts, but stalls right away. I can usually play with the throttle, and get the car to rev up. However, in order to rev the car up, I have to play with the throttle alot. If I just mash it, the car stalls. As soon as I let off the throttle, the engine picks up a bit, and runs ok for a second.

Other things I noticed... if I disconnect the MAF sensor, the car idles fine, but I can't give it any throttle. Also, if I disconnect the vacuum hose(big one) off the top of the intake piping, just before the throttle body, it idles fine, but again I can't rev it up.

When I can get the engine to rev up, I can go WOT with it. It doesn't like to hold it, but if I play with the throttle, I can keep the revs up.

Might this be a fuel pressure regulator going bad? And is that what is in the vacuum line that comes off the intake piping I described?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Ryan 20
post Aug 17 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,669
Drives: 1984 Volvo 245 DL

Try replacing the AMM Air Mass Meter since it stays running with it unplugged but you can rev it up with it plugged in so I think theres enough gas pressure for the fuel pressure regulator try removing the small vacuum hose from it to see if theres any gas coming out of it when the engine is running if there isn't than that is most likely good.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Running Cold
5 thullz 564 3rd December 2014 - 08:06 AM
Last post by: grendel1960
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsStay Tuned For Black Friday And Cyber Monday Volvo Car Kit Deals From Grom Audio!
0 GROM Audio 43 25th November 2014 - 04:11 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio
No New Posts 240 Sun Visor Clips
0 86volvoguy 155 28th October 2014 - 06:27 PM
Last post by: 86volvoguy
No New Posts Topic has attachments240 Wagon Just Purchased - Wheel Upgrade?
New Member Intro
3 wiffies 1,075 9th March 2014 - 01:39 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts 240 Wagon Cargo Cover
15 deadfan50 5,506 30th December 2013 - 05:54 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 06:31 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement