Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Engine System Service Required, Need advice
Tennisjock
post Jul 17 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,304
Drives: 2001 V 70 2.4

This past Saturday, my dashboard readout read "enginer system service required" was displayed. After the car resting for about 90 minutes the light never came back on. This moring... (Tuesday) the light came on again. During my lunch hour I tried resetting by placing the key in position one then holding trip odometer and mvoe the key to position 2 and waited for the beep and message to go away which it did. I had my windows and sunroof open. I was not able to shut the sunroof, so I turned the car off, locked the car by the keyfob and then unlocked and restarted and all "seems" good. Did my stint work you think? I was not having any problems with the car. About a month ago I did have the breatherbox replaced.

Look forward to hearing from someone.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
stickydub
post Jul 18 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,837
Drives: 2001 S60 2.0 TS

hey man,

not a major expert on volvo's but have had similar problems ...

the trick you tried will only reset the "yearly service" (oil etc service) light, the "engine system service required/urgent" message is different, and usually doesnt reset until the fault that made it occur is fixed, I have an intermitent fault with my s60, it throws up this system service msg along with slow accelaration whenever I warm start, then stays there for a few starts and disappears, I still have no idea why my s60 does this, however when I want to reset it, I just open the hood, flip open the fuse box and pull out fuse 23 for about 20 seconds, plug it back in, when you get in the car and start the engine, it'll show the message for a few seconds and then bang its gone

hope this helps ... would be interested to know if you ever get this problem again, as I say Im still trying to work out why my car chucks this message at me and refuses to play

EZ!

QuoteReply
Tennisjock
post Jul 18 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the note back. It has been 24 hours and the message and light is not back on.. knock on wood.

QuoteReply
Tennisjock
post Jul 19 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #4

The light is back on.... time will tell.

QuoteReply
Tennisjock
post Oct 16 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #5

I am back.....
turns out the throttle needs to be replaced. Turns out it is under warranty. Even with 168,000 miles on it is covered under warranty. The throttle on the 2001 V70 is covered by a 10 year 200,000 mile warranty.

QuoteReply
nikolay
post Oct 18 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 33,720
Drives: e.g. 2000 Volvo V70 XC AWD

Hi,Tennisjock!
I had interest for your problem with light on the dashboard. I am owner V70 XC (09/2000, 2.4 turbo ) from March of this year. And the first negative surprise was same point what you described in your message. Also I can add other texts: "perfomance reduce" and "emission service". And every time I should go to official service in Moscow and get under these mistakes on the car's computer... And every time I had pay near 100 euros! Of couse the servicemen proposed for me to change a differente parts and trottle body like a main reason for this distress. I not sorry about money but I sorry about time what I spend for all procedures and I am not sure that replacing the throttle will be final solution for disappearance of messages... And by this reason I kindly ask you give me some note after your replaicing.
One week ago I demounted myself the throttle from Skoda Oktavia from my colleague. It was broken. And I saw my own eyes a typical reason why this part are break. There was worn down the contacts from flocking of ferro-metal in place where the contacts has no-load condition. Our parts has resource about 100 000 km middle.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Engine System Service Required S80 2006 2.4d
0 S60D5SE 79 13th August 2014 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: S60D5SE
No New Posts Service Diagrams For Volvos
Information only
0 YesNoMebbeSo 87 4th August 2014 - 07:17 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo
No New Posts Service Diagrams For Volvo Vehicles
Information only
0 YesNoMebbeSo 57 4th August 2014 - 07:16 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine System Service Required .. But No Codes!
5 V70 Driver 3,211 7th July 2014 - 08:48 PM
Last post by: Teamac
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Computer Test
car runs better with vacuum tube disconnected
17 ThagSimmons 293 16th June 2014 - 01:57 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 11:20 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement