Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Aftermarket Stereo For S40, choosing the right size stereo
dacksoldier
post Jun 24 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,441
Drives: 2001 Volvo S40

yeah as above
my 2001 S40 only has a AM/FM/cassette player and i want to play cd and hd radio and i am wondering how i would choose the correct size, if i need mounting brackets, i don't want it to be really expensive...

and i am also think of putting in new speakers and i am wondering if i would need to run new cables
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
mcoles
post Jun 26 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 18,970
Drives: 2003 Volvo V40 2T Sport

Okay, with the radio, if is a double DIN unit you have fitted, when replacing with a single DIN unit you will need to find a pocket to fit the other half of the dash. There are double DIN units available from most of the major aftermarket manufacturers like Pioneer and Kenwood, in either case you wil need to acquire a wiring harness adapter and antenna adapter as the Volvo connectors are proprietary.

As for speakers, clearly you are not adding amps so the existing cabling should be sufficient for the power that most headunits are capable of. The connectors for the speakers are also proprietary so you could either chop the ends off and put your own connectors on, or alternatively you could create your own adapters using spade connectors ( you will need to slice the connectors in half for them to fit into the original Volvo speaker connectors ).

Hope this helps, should you have anymore questions, just post up. Loads of people here capable of answering your questions :grouphug: .

QuoteReply
SoCalS40
post Jun 26 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 28,677
Drives: 04 S40, 07 Ser Spec-V

I wouldn't cut any wires off! Best Buy, and sometimes WalMart have the wiring harness adapters, or they can order them. They plug into the factory harness and tell you what colors run what, this allows you to connect the aftermarket head unit to your factory harness without cutting.

The dash kit for your car from Scosche is V02158B and the harness is VO04. They also have the the antenna adapter as well VOAB. You can check Metra as well, but i've found the Scosche kits to be a better fit in the other 6 cars i've installed stereos in.

Good Luck

QuoteReply
vimukthilk
post Feb 24 2008, 07:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 38,828
Drives: 2002 Volvo S40 1.8

Hi! Any help is much appreciated. I have a Double DIN CD/Radio/Cassette player (original) fitted in my 2002 S40. I have found this Double DIN player on ebay.

Ebay item

Does it need any additional adaptors (I think it does). Even if I find it, will it still be too much trouble fitting it as in rewiring etc.

Thanks folks.

QuoteReply
mcoles
post Feb 24 2008, 06:32 PM
Post #5

Senior

Member No.: 18,970
Drives: 2003 Volvo V40 2T Sport

You'll need a Volvo to ISO harness adaptor and antenna adaptor.

QuoteReply
S40guy
post Feb 26 2008, 02:56 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 30,774
Drives: 2004 Volvo S40

I used a regular pioneer and instead of a pocket underneath I got a Dash plate that fits my Sirius Satellite Radio (Starmate) right into the dash below the new head-unit. It looks sweet everyone who sees it thinks a paid a lot for a custom install.

QuoteReply
jbdpsu82
post Jul 30 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 67,933
Drives: 2001 Volvo S40

I am not sure if anybody even reads these things, since it has been a few years since the last post. But anyway... i recently purchased a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT for my 2001 Volvo S40 and I am having trouble finding a dash kit for it. It is slightly smaller than the factory CD player/tape combo. Even if I was able to get it installe properly, there is still going to be a small gap around the edges of the player. Has anyone been able to find a double-din dash kit for Volvo S40s?

Thanks

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1995-2004) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsFor Sale 2005 Volvo V50 2.4i
Volvo V50 in Texas
0 tylerdean 191 5th October 2014 - 08:39 AM
Last post by: tylerdean
No New Posts S40 Alarm And Mobiles ?!
1 BlackRain 323 18th August 2014 - 10:39 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsS40 Electric Problem
0 frost 649 29th May 2014 - 01:09 AM
Last post by: frost
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsFor Sale: 2001 Volvo C70 Ht Coupe 5 Speed Mt
0 BRINK 453 31st March 2014 - 03:04 PM
Last post by: BRINK
No New Posts S40 Oil Trap/pcv Repair
Anyone done this?
2 dfagan261 1,646 27th February 2014 - 09:01 AM
Last post by: mf70

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 12:09 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement