Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Your Engine Wont Start?, Things to look at...
madeleine2383
post Jan 19 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 51,246
Drives: 1993 Volvo 850

possibly, but i will double check again today to see if there is. However we did take it out and put a used one in to see if it made a difference. But it seems like this happens often so maybe the new used one was bad too.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
xpiecemealx
post Jan 19 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #42

Veteran

Member No.: 3,208
Drives: 1997 Volvo 854 GLT, 1988 BMW 325i BIG FLAT SIX.

QUOTE (madeleine2383 @ Jan 19 2009, 08:08 AM)
possibly, but i will double check again today to see if there is. However we did take it out and put a used one in to see if it made a difference. But it seems like this happens often so maybe the new used one was bad too.

Have you considered cleaning the gunk out of the throttle body and replacing the pvc valve? I also thought maybe it has something to do with your grounding on your battery.

QuoteReply
madeleine2383
post Jan 19 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (xpiecemealx @ Jan 19 2009, 11:14 AM)
Have you considered cleaning the gunk out of the throttle body and replacing the pvc valve? I also thought maybe it has something to do with your grounding on your battery.

Unfortunately, I have taken almost my whole engine cavity apart and cleaned everything. But to no avail. I have had about 30 epiphanies with this car and then you put it all back together again and nothing. The throttle body is very clean.

Right now i am leaning toward my ECT sensor again because i have noticed that my fan is staying on after i turned the engine off. Not more than 15 seconds but stays on nevertheless. Anything i should know about the ECT sensor?

On another note, why does the 93 850 glt not have an EGR Valve? I spent a LONG time looking for it one day and then read in a THE volvo service manual that some may not have an EGR valve?

QuoteReply
madeleine2383
post Jan 19 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #44

just wanted to update people and say that my car is running now. Got it to start by dumping transmission fluid down the cylinders. Still don't know what causes it to not run. If it was a compression issue it seems like it would happen on a more regular basis.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Jan 23 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #45

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

Maybe its just one of those days where you'd just have to crank and crank and crank and crank until it starts.

QuoteReply
bbogle
post Jul 22 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 59,830
Drives: Volvo 850

Just bought a used '95 850. I've had it a few days.

My daughter was driving and reported that when she tried to start it, the dash lights all came on, but it won't start, it seems to try to turn once, but stops. When you turn the key back to the 0 spot, the horn honks. When you open a door, the horn honks.

What is going on? This is my first Volvo. Is the horn sounding some security thing or the symptom of some other issue?

Any feedback is appreciated.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Jul 28 2009, 03:20 AM
Post #47

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Close all the doors, and check to dis-alarm the car. Then try again, and see.

QuoteReply
94_volvo_850_T_B...
post Aug 15 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 60,890
Drives: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo Sedan

This is my first post on volvo-forums.

I own a 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo sedan with 154,000 miles. My trustworthy mechanic just flushed the transmission fluid. Then, I had him change the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, and thermostat. He also had to replace one fuel injector. When he got the car back together, the car would turn over fine, but it would not spark and start. He has tested the cam position sensor, coil, and crankshaft position sensor on a 1996 volvo 850 Turbo, and the other car started fine. He also put tested my car with another ecm and tcm, but the car still did not spark. Fuel pressure is good also.

The problem that seems to be that the magnetic field in the coil never collapses to send a spark to the plugs.

We have talked with a Volvo and Saab mechanic who said that this shouldn't happen by replacing the headgasket etc, but after 10 days of checking voltage and resistance at all parts, replacing with known good parts, and asking lots of questions the car will not fire.

There is one more piece of information that might be helpful. I should have replaced the transmission fluid sooner, and it was similar to oil when it was flushed out. Prior to replacing the transmission fluid and when the engine got hot, the car would sometimes not shift out of second gear, but after driving a little the transmission worked fine. Also, during this time, the car would heat up. I assumed it was because of the old transmission fluid and the leaking headgasket (that had not yet totatlly broken).

Does anyone have any other suggestions that could help me figure out how to get the engine to fire again?
Thanks

QuoteReply
Souders4
post Aug 23 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 61,219
Drives: Volvo 850 Wagon

I am not sure if this is the correct spot to post this question, but it does fit the title. I own a 1994 Volvo 850 wagon, when I accidently shut the car off while it was in drive then put the car in park to take the key out, when I went to re start the car it would not do any thing. The dash lights come on and I hear a humming like noise under the hood (when I leave the key to the on position), but when I turn the key to start I get nothing. Can anyone give me any insite on what I did and what I can do to fix it. I thought maybe the battery terminals because there was corrosion, I cleaned them then place it on a charger and let it sit, but still nothing. Please Help.

QuoteReply
phabbage
post Aug 24 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 61,278
Drives: 96 Volvo 850 Turbo

Today my 96 850 turbo died while driving, just stopped running. If it is the timing belt, would I have heard something? Also, I've heard 2 different answers to this question (yes and no): Is this engine an interference engine?

The fuel relay was just replaced and I was told the fuel pump was too before that. The battery is new, the starter is turning, just not the engine. Any idea's?

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Aug 27 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #51

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (Souders4 @ Aug 23 2009, 11:43 PM)
I am not sure if this is the correct spot to post this question, but it does fit the title. I own a 1994 Volvo 850 wagon, when I accidently shut the car off while it was in drive then put the car in park to take the key out, when I went to re start the car it would not do any thing. The dash lights come on and I hear a humming like noise under the hood (when I leave the key to the on position), but when I turn the key to start I get nothing. Can anyone give me any insite on what I did and what I can do to fix it. I thought maybe the battery terminals because there was corrosion, I cleaned them then place it on a charger and let it sit, but still nothing. Please Help.

Do you have a Lambda light? If yes, please check the codes and go from there.

Otherwise, when you say nothing - do you mean, there is cranking and the engine turns over, but it wont 'catch' and start? Is the hummming sound still existent?

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Aug 27 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #52

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (phabbage @ Aug 25 2009, 06:10 AM)
Today my 96 850 turbo died while driving, just stopped running. If it is the timing belt, would I have heard something? Also, I've heard 2 different answers to this question (yes and no): Is this engine an interference engine?

The fuel relay was just replaced and I was told the fuel pump was too before that. The battery is new, the starter is turning, just not the engine. Any idea's?

Dont worry, if the timing belt snapped, you would have been more 'panicky' than this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Meaning the engine would have made so much more alien noises to you that you'd know you just effed up the engine.

That said, IF your timing belt is due, please do not delay.

Otherwise, is there a Lambda light? If yes, please read the codes and go from there. For your 850, its the OBD2, meaning you'll need the reader to decipher the code and the message.

Aside from that, i would think the common things that could cause a stalled engine would be RPM sensor, Idle Air Valve (IAC) valve dirty and needs cleaning, Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor needs checking, CaMshaft Position (CMP) sensor and the like. Check first, dont replace anything yet to see if they are either seated properly, or dirty, or check to see any visible damages like cut in sensor's cable etc.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Aug 27 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #53

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (94_volvo_850_T_Broomfield @ Aug 15 2009, 11:06 PM)
This is my first post on volvo-forums.

I own a 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo sedan with 154,000 miles. My trustworthy mechanic just flushed the transmission fluid. Then, I had him change the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, and thermostat. He also had to replace one fuel injector. When he got the car back together, the car would turn over fine, but it would not spark and start. He has tested the cam position sensor, coil, and crankshaft position sensor on a 1996 volvo 850 Turbo, and the other car started fine. He also put tested my car with another ecm and tcm, but the car still did not spark. Fuel pressure is good also.

The problem that seems to be that the magnetic field in the coil never collapses to send a spark to the plugs.

We have talked with a Volvo and Saab mechanic who said that this shouldn't happen by replacing the headgasket etc, but after 10 days of checking voltage and resistance at all parts, replacing with known good parts, and asking lots of questions the car will not fire.

There is one more piece of information that might be helpful. I should have replaced the transmission fluid sooner, and it was similar to oil when it was flushed out. Prior to replacing the transmission fluid and when the engine got hot, the car would sometimes not shift out of second gear, but after driving a little the transmission worked fine. Also, during this time, the car would heat up. I assumed it was because of the old transmission fluid and the leaking headgasket (that had not yet totatlly broken).

Does anyone have any other suggestions that could help me figure out how to get the engine to fire again?
Thanks

Good work to you and your mechanic thus far.

If the coil itself is faulty, try replacing it. Or get a used one, and test that with the car first to see if that works.

I am assuming other things like the ECT sensor, the spark cables, the fuel delivery system (including relay, FPR in the fuse box and the fuel pump, and the fuel filter and the lines) are all OK?

QuoteReply
94_volvo_850_T_B...
post Sep 23 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 60,890
Drives: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo Sedan

QUOTE (ampangbear @ Aug 27 2009, 07:35 PM)
Good work to you and your mechanic thus far.

If the coil itself is faulty, try replacing it. Or get a used one, and test that with the car first to see if that works.

I am assuming other things like the ECT sensor, the spark cables, the fuel delivery system (including relay, FPR in the fuse box and the fuel pump, and the fuel filter and the lines) are all OK?

The coil seems to be good. We ended up taking the car to a volvo dealership. They thought the problem was the crank position sensor, but they were wrong. Then, they suspected the ECU, but it seemed to work fine. Then, they suggested replacing the wiring harness. Me mechanic got a wiring harness from a salvage yard. The Volvo mechanic replaced it. The car started, so we went to pick it up. When we drove home, rich black smoke came out of the tail pipe some, and when we checked under the hood, the volvo mechanic had not re-connected all of the vacuum hoses. My mechanic left to return the car to the volvo mechanic, but he stopped to get gas first. After he had pumped the gas, the car would not start again. It was the same problem--the car would crank but not fire. The volvo mechanic has the car again, but they do not know what the problem is.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Sep 26 2009, 01:40 AM
Post #55

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Bummer...

Sucks if even the dealer dont know whats wrong, doesnt it?
Hmmm...

I have to suggest you go through ALL the Stage 0 items one by one, and test all of them to check.

QuoteReply
E_V_A_N
post Nov 30 2009, 01:13 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 65,339
Drives: 95 850 gl

i have a 95 850 non turbo that intermittently just doesn't turn over at all (dash indicator lights come on along with daytime running lights, but absolutely no cranking). usually (but not always) if you wait 5 minutes and try again it will turn over and fire right up, runs flawlessly. what causes this??
not sure if this is related, but the dash lights (for seeing at night) only flash on for about a second then go out when ignition turned on - this has been the case for 2 years tho.

QuoteReply
Ronbo
post Jan 17 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 67,690
Drives: '76 242, '94 850

January 26 update:

Replaced neutral safety switch (PNP), temporary fix. Replaced fuel pump, no go, and pump does not fit properly in original plastic assembly. Pulled pump relay and jumped the pump power circuit. Car starts. Should have checked circuit before replacing pump. Pump and pnp switch were probably ready for replacement anyway with 150,000 on the 850 wagon. Took the car home and test the camshaft (CMP) and crankshaft sensors, cmp is defective. Car runs great. Had the codes read and the cmp does not show up in the readout. $200 for a new cmp. Will wait for used one.

May 16 update:

Suggestion: Learn to read the codes before replacing parts. It's very easy once you figure out where the code reader is. The Haynes repair manual and the one published on this site both explain how to do it. Easier if you can get someone to show you where the reader is. The 850 turns out to be a great car once you master the code reading. The cam sensor was defective and replacement part could have been expensive. I was able to replace the Hall Effect Magnetic Sensor inside the cam sensor housing. Here are a couple of websites: http://www.brickboard.com/AWD/volvo/131134...nformation.html http://www.ebbo.org/2av54.ph.

Then I broke down and bought a new fuel pump relay and the car started right up. Then the RPM sensor was acting up and replaced it.
You can test used RPM sensors for the correct ohms. The codes tell you everything. You can clear the codes and the dash warning lights. You can read the brake codes and all this without getting a code reader, and you don't need a break-out box.

QuoteReply
Jhon Smith
post May 3 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 70,412
Drives: T6 AWD

That's good engine for using any of this auto products.

QuoteReply
Nepochem
post May 15 2011, 06:25 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 89,342
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC 90

very interesting article .thx for post.

QuoteReply
dmlough2016
post Apr 22 2016, 06:17 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 179,546
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo

So I own a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo.

One day a couple weeks ago it misfired and then wouldn't turn on.

I think I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key to POSII.

It cranks, turns over, but won't fire. I swear it sounds as if it is going to fire everytime I turn the key, but then it doesn't.

I have replaced:

--fuel pump relay
--battery
--oil
--spark plugs

I've been trying to do as much as I can without a mechanic, but I'm running out of ideas.

What else could be going wrong?

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Start Prevented
Start fails on first attempt w/txt messg
17 cnomann 31,078 27th March 2017 - 09:06 AM
Last post by: Rosy Dey
No New Posts Start Stop Not Working (noisy)
0 trickyg 196 29th October 2016 - 01:10 PM
Last post by: trickyg
No New Posts Engine Light For Airbag
1 namz 431 21st August 2016 - 03:09 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Engine Swap From V70 To V70xc
Engine Swap question
0 rax_tempus 431 20th May 2016 - 09:57 PM
Last post by: rax_tempus
No New Posts Engine Threw A Rod
Help Needed
0 Justin Bert 1,435 1st May 2016 - 06:51 PM
Last post by: Justin Bert

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 25th June 2017 - 10:44 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.

Privacy Statement