Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Your Engine Wont Start?, Things to look at...
ampangbear
post Jan 13 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #21

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

What else do you observe?

Is the fan running the minute you turn to POS II on the ignition (one notch before crank)? If yes, then its the ECT Sensor that needs looking it. Doesnt mean have to replace totally yet.

What about the fuel injector relay? Could you feel a click when you turn to POS II? Place a finger at the relay to feel the vibration.

It could also be the flywheel sensor - remove the sensor head and clean it. Also check the connections to the sensor.

Or what about the CMP sensor? Got oil at the rear cam seal?

I hope your battery was strong when you tested it.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
red850turbowagon
post Jan 15 2008, 11:01 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,756
Drives: 1994 Volvo 850 turbo wagon

GOT THE CAR STARTED!! I talked to the original owner, and although he never had the problem with THIS car, he suggested the "teaspoon of oil, in each cylinder" trick...and it started right up! Smoked up the neighborhood for a few minutes, but it was running, so I didn't care. He told me it was a compression issue, and by putting the oil into the cylinders, it built up the compression. He aslo said that it was a one in a million chance that this would happen, and will probably never have that problem with it again. Sounds like a crazy idea, but it worked. Hope this helps anybody out there, that might be having a similar problem. PEACE!!

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Jan 20 2008, 02:23 AM
Post #23

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

May still have to work on the compression thing, dude.
:)

QuoteReply
red850turbowagon
post Jan 26 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 36,756
Drives: 1994 Volvo 850 turbo wagon

Well, no......the car ran like a top, BEFORE this happened, and runs perfectly fine, now. Has all the power, that it has ALWAYS had! Weird, huh?

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Jan 26 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #25

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Hmmm. Well, thanks for the update.
:)

QuoteReply
Guest_Volgrrr_*
post Feb 19 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE(red850turbowagon @ Jan 16 2008, 03:01 AM)
GOT THE CAR STARTED!! I talked to the original owner, and although he never had the problem with THIS car, he suggested the "teaspoon of oil, in each cylinder" trick...and it started right up! Smoked up the neighborhood for a few minutes, but it was running, so I didn't care. He told me it was a compression issue, and by putting the oil into the cylinders, it built up the compression. He aslo said that it was a one in a million chance that this would happen, and will probably never have that problem with it again. Sounds like a crazy idea, but it worked. Hope this helps anybody out there, that might be having a similar problem. PEACE!!
[right][snapback]69807[/snapback][/right]

And the reason is this.

In certain circumstances engine oil may seep under the hydraulic valve lifters (tappets) and prevent the lifters from settling back to their correct position.

This means the valves are kept ever-so-slightly open and the car will crank but not start.

However, if you keep cranking, oil pressure will eventually pump up the lifters and the engine will fire.

But this process might take about 80 seconds of solid cranking (don't stop) with the accelerator pedal flat to the floor before the engine rights itself enough to fire - but it will.

QuoteReply
my0806
post Feb 25 2008, 10:51 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 38,814
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850

:clap:
Hi,

I just want to ask a quick and maybe naive question.

I have 1995 volvo 850 ran 250,000 miles.

It has been OK since I had a mechanic changed fuel pump last summer. It is not staring now. I am sure it's fuel problem because it crank but doesn't catch it. Fuel guage is not functioning correctly cause it is showing empty level even though it has 5-6 gallons of gas. What do I need to check? Fuel filter or fuel pump relay or else? If fuel pump (or pressure) relay marked 103 is not good, the engine doesn't start at all? I have to figure it out before taking action. :liebe011:

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Feb 25 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #28

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Your answers are here in the other post you made.

http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?show...3089#entry73089

QuoteReply
smoothace
post Feb 28 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 39,034
Drives: 1992 850 2.5 20v

i hd this problem with my 850 and i found it was the fuel pump i got a new one and fitted it and it worked ok for about a month then it did it again i cleanded the crank sensor and its been fine ever since. :banana:

QuoteReply
my0806
post Mar 5 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 38,814
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850

Thanksful advice from 70_140
====================
A quick way to check the fuel system - assuming you do not have a proper F.I. pressure tester.

pop the black cover off the thottle area. There is a schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail (used to check fuel pressure )- Turn the key to run, then turn it off. Poke the tip of something in the valve (like you were deflating a tire) A healthy spray of gasoline should come out. Be careful, don't have the key on, don't be smoking, wear safety glasses, etc, etc.

If gasoline sprays out chances are fuel delivery to the injectors is ok. Check for other issues - electrical, spark, etc.

If you have been cranking the car over and over to get it started, when you get it going change the oil. When you crank a car over and over the gasoline that isn't being used makes its way into the oil.

Thanksful advice from ampangbear
=====================
Good tip, by 70_140.

Another thing you may want to look at is the fuel injectors relay. It's located on top of the radiator area. There's the fan relay bunch on one side, and the injector relay on the other (single-standalone). It's grey in colour.

Try to 'feel' for a click movement, as you get someone to turn the key to Pos II. If no click, replace that.

=======================
I've tried a couple of things below that I can. Could any other tips available? Thanks

Thanks ampangbear,

There's no click movement when the key is on Pos II (as you get someone to turn the key to Pos II --> The key stays itself on Pos II so didn't need to get someone to hold the key). I got a couple of questions related to this.

According to 70 140's grateful advice, I checked schrader valve after turning the key to run, then turning it off. No spray of gasolin came out when I poked the tip of schrader valve. So it must be a fuel problem there.

Fact 1. I feel trottle area working sound or vibration when key is on Pos II position even though no gasolin comes out.

Fact 2. I don't feel fuel pump working sound or vibration under the trunk cover. I have a mechanic installed a new one last summer but it could be broken again. Not sure so will appreciate your opinion.

I have no way to check fuel pump relay marked 103 but there are some suggestion to replace it. So I bought one from used volvo and replaced it but it didn't make any change.

Fact 3. There is no click movement from fuel injector relay. Do I have to replace it anyway even there is no working sound or vibration from fuel pump? --> I bought a used fuel injector relay anyway and switched it with old one but didn't make any change. I don't feel anything at the fuel pump at all when my key is on Pos II. Is this gone bad again after 6 months?

It is frustrating cause it seems that there is anything left for me to try. This site is really helpful though and thanks experts here for advice.

This post has been edited by my0806: Mar 5 2008, 06:07 PM

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Mar 9 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #31

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE(my0806 @ Mar 6 2008, 07:04 AM)
There's no click movement when the key is on Pos II (as you get someone to turn the key to Pos II --> The key stays itself on Pos II so didn't need to get someone to hold the key). I got a couple of questions related to this.
[right][snapback]73654[/snapback][/right]

RIGHT, but err... the click was supposed to engage the second you turn the ignition. If you turn the ignition to Pos II and then run to the front of the car to feel the click, chances are that you'll definitely miss it. Its the first light of current that makes the one initial click.

Same way for the 103 Fuel Pump Controller. Fortunate for us, the right hand-drivers, the 103 fuel pump relay is just at the base of our windscreen. So, we can turn the ignition with the left hand, and feel the click with the right hand.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Mar 9 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #32

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Dont worry, there are many things left for you try.

If you know how to, check the fuel pump for current. Or get a mechanic-friend or any of the DIY-stores to help you here.

QuoteReply
Tsviets
post Mar 19 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 39,811
Drives: Volvo 850 4 door wagon

Hi, I just bought a Volvo 850, 1996. I have a starting problem. I can start it up just fine but any time after I shut it off I run the risk of it not starting. I'll have it start and stop and start and stop and sometimes it'll start up up to four or five times, but I'll have other times where I shut it off once and it won't start. I have to wait overnight in order for it to start again. I think it might be the fuel pump but I'm not sure. Anyone have any suggestions?

QuoteReply
Ryan 20
post Mar 24 2008, 02:22 AM
Post #34

Expert

Member No.: 25,669
Drives: 1984 Volvo 245 DL

It could be the fuel pump or fuel pump Relay. Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the ignition on to POS II when it wont start ?

QuoteReply
happynow
post Apr 11 2008, 07:43 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 40,863
Drives: gfgv

useful messages.

QuoteReply
xpiecemealx
post Jun 23 2008, 01:13 AM
Post #36

Veteran

Member No.: 3,208
Drives: 1997 Volvo 854 GLT, 1988 BMW 325i BIG FLAT SIX.

QUOTE(Tsviets @ Mar 19 2008, 02:08 PM)
Hi, I just bought a Volvo 850, 1996. I have a starting problem. I can start it up just fine but any time after I shut it off I run the risk of it not starting. I'll have it start and stop and start and stop and sometimes it'll start up up to four or five times, but I'll have other times where I shut it off once and it won't start. I have to wait overnight in order for it to start again. I think it might be the fuel pump but I'm not sure. Anyone have any suggestions?
[right][snapback]74511[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like what Ryan said to me if you want a second opinion.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Oct 31 2008, 07:50 AM
Post #37

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Anyway, over some time, i've looked around for somemore possible causes:

Battery (including loose or oxidised battery cables)

Starter (a knock on the starter might help)

Wiring connections or even Ground connections (no choise, have to go through each one)

Ignition switch

Park_Neutral Position Sensor

QuoteReply
Cliff Wieser
post Jan 15 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 51,088
Drives: 1995 850 GLT

QUOTE (red850turbowagon @ Jan 10 2008, 07:19 PM)
I've had my '94 wagon since November of 2006, with only two previous owners, who maintained it immaculately, and I've had no problems with it, myself, until yesterday morning. After sitting in the garage for two days, which it has done many times before, it will not start. It cranks, and acts like it WANTS to start, (has SOME firing) but will not stay running. The "check engine" light has been on for a couple of months, because of a 4-3-5 code, which, according to the chart I have, is "front heated oxygen sensor-slow response". But, it had continued to run fine, despite that fact. That's from socket #2, on the diagnostic unit. Sockets #1, #3, and #7 have the 1-1-1 code (no faults), but the #6 socket has no code from it, at all. I've always done most of my own repairs, on my previous vehicles, but this Volvo is all new to me. Somebody please help me!

btw...the fuel pump IS working (I can hear it come on, when the key is turned on) And their is spark, at least at the coil. Like I said, it ACTS like it wants to start, but it will not stay running.

THANKS

Cliff wieser here, I had an older 240 did the same thing. and it was an O2 sensor. Coincedently I just picked up a 95 850 glt and all was fine for the first two days.Cliff wieser here, I had Then today leaving work, seems like it wants to start, if you touch the pedal, no response, actually stops hitting on the few cyls trying. I remember that my past experience revealed the only way it will start is try about 4 to 10 times and eventually it started roughly then smoothed out and ran very smoothly after reaching temp.

QuoteReply
madeleine2383
post Jan 18 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 51,246
Drives: 1993 Volvo 850

I have a 1993 Volvo 850 that seems to stop running every 6 months like clockwork. Usually after sitting for a day without starting. The battery will be dead but when i go to boost the car it won't start. it will crank and crank and crank but never starts. Occasionally it will fire but never more that a once or twice. Then after about two weeks of working it, it will inexplicably start and run fine for another 6 months. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/puzzled.gif)

Here some things that have been fixed or that are still good:

new fuel pump
fuel injectors have power and not plugged
new MAF sensor
new fuel filter
Swapped out computer controlling fuel system and it made no difference
swapped out relays and it made no difference
new fuel pressure regulator
swapped out with a used camshaft position sensor and that didn't help

*There will be no residual pressure at fuel rail after cranking the engine sometimes
Not sure when the heated O2 sensor was changed last. Could this cause the car not to start?

No codes stored in computer.

There IS spark
new distributor and rotor
new spark plugs
new timing belt
new oil/air separator box

I am at a complete loss for what the problem could be. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Jan 19 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #40

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (madeleine2383 @ Jan 19 2009, 10:05 AM)
... *There will be no residual pressure at fuel rail after cranking the engine sometimes
Not sure when the heated O2 sensor was changed last. Could this cause the car not to start?

No codes stored in computer.

Have you tried feeling the Injector relay for 'vibrations' with someone in the car, turning the key to Pos II?

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Start Stop Not Working (noisy)
0 trickyg 109 29th October 2016 - 01:10 PM
Last post by: trickyg
No New Posts Engine Light For Airbag
1 namz 241 21st August 2016 - 03:09 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Engine Swap From V70 To V70xc
Engine Swap question
0 rax_tempus 288 20th May 2016 - 09:57 PM
Last post by: rax_tempus
No New Posts Engine Threw A Rod
Help Needed
0 Justin Bert 1,288 1st May 2016 - 06:51 PM
Last post by: Justin Bert
No New Posts Engine Cooling Fan Doesn't Start Sometimes
3 Voljoe 582 17th March 2016 - 07:57 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th February 2017 - 08:27 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.

Privacy Statement