Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Upgrading Hu611 Radio To Hu801
jeffnelson
post Mar 21 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,083
Drives: 1999 Volvo S80

I would like to upgrade my radio in my 1999 S80 from the HU611 to the HU 801.

I can buy a used HU801 for $275.00 but I do not know if it is that simple. Are the two systems completely different? Ie. do they use different speakers, do I need to buy the center speaker, does it utilize external amps???? I would like to keep the same factory look and not use an aftermarket head unit. Also is it possible to use aftermarket amps and speakers with either OEM head unit? I have not looked behind to see if there are any RCA outputs. Any words of advice would be appreciated. Jeff
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
2001.S80
post Apr 13 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 26,969
Drives: 2001 S80 2.9L

Greetings! I am looking to make the same upgrade (HU-601 to HU-811) in my 2001 S80 and was wondering if you have found any more information on that since you posted?

QuoteReply
kyoung3582
post Apr 15 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 27,054
Drives: 2000 Volvo S80 T6

I have already purchased an HU 801 radio and an external amp that mounts under the passenger seat. I have tried once to hook everything up and was successful except I cannot find where the power plug to the amp is located. All functions of the HU 801 radio worked as soon as I hooked it up, but without the amplifier powered, I get no sound out of the speakers (these plug right into the amp). I was wondering if anyone knows where I might find the factory power wire for the amp. I have been told it should be under the passenger seat, but I cannot locate it.

QuoteReply
eli
post Apr 16 2007, 02:14 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,991
Drives: 2001 S80 2.9

I two, have done this on my 2001 S80. The power cable for the amp was located under the passenger seat toward the right side, under the carpet. There should be a 1 or 2 inch slit in the carpet so you can pull it out.

Without the external amp hooked up, you will not hear any audio with the HU-801 (since it does not have a built-in amp). I also installed the center channel speaker, the wire was already there (not sure for earlier models, it may not be installed). No programming was needed.

The HU-801 works fine, however I lost my steering wheel controls for the audio volume and seek. I seem to recall that there were 4 versions of the HU-801 out there, and that some of them may need to have software programmed/downloaded from the dealer for them to have full functionality.

QuoteReply
kyoung3582
post Apr 20 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #5

I was able to locate the power wire!! It was taped to the wire for the power seat controls under the carpet. Guess the dealership did not know what they were talking about. Thanks for your help.

QuoteReply
kyoung3582
post Apr 21 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #6

I completed the install today. I too lost the ability to use the controls on the steering wheel. :o I will call a different dealer on Monday and see if there is a software download that they can do to make the controls work again. I hope they can get them working, I really enjoy the controls being right at my fingertips while driving. Just so everyone out there knows, I bought both the HU 801 radio and the amplifier off of ebay! The whole upgrade cost me less than $300! The new system is definetly worth it! I will post again if I find out the dealer can get the steering wheel controls to work again.

QuoteReply
kyoung3582
post May 1 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Eli,

When you hooked up the Hu 801 did all of the lights on the front of the unit work? The ones on my unit do not light up at night, I am thinking I got a bad unit (good thing it is under warranty). Before I send it back I just wanted to check and see if this is something that also happened to your unit.

Also where did you get your center speaker from? Do you have the part number for that?

Thanks
Keith

QuoteReply
KEN S80 T6
post May 20 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 28,180
Drives: 2002 Volvo S80 T6

I've been looking for the HU-801 and can't find one that looks like it's in good shape. One on E-bay at the moment looks very scratched up.... Lots of amps available but no head units. Can't find any in on line part houses. Any Ideas?

Thanks.

KEN 2002 S80 T6

QuoteReply
nicolaselias
post Jan 28 2008, 06:55 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 37,591
Drives: 96 Honda Accord, 02 Volvo S80 2.9

Hi, I was also considering this upgrade and I seriously wanted the extra power given by the amp and centre channel speaker.. However I had to ask something..
Does the Hu801 use the same speakers as the HU-611 stock? If so, that doesnt make much sense because the 611 can more than max out these speakers, so possibly the amp can lead to these speakers blowing if I upgrade to it and the 801....

Also, I wouldnt make the switch just because i love the steering controls too much, if I was told that these will work, only then will I consider.
Let me know,
thanks

QuoteReply
kyoung3582
post Mar 14 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #10

I was never able to get the steering wheel controld to work, I just decided to put the old HU-601 back into the dash, but I kept the amp. I have had it this way for a few months now and the speakers are still going strong. The sound is definetly no where near the quality as the HU-801, but I found the steering wheels controls too much of a good option to go without. I was also never able to find the center speaker for sale anywhere, so I guess at this point my only upgrade is just the amp.

QuoteReply
eli
post Jan 21 2010, 02:06 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,991
Drives: 2001 S80 2.9

QUOTE (kyoung3582 @ May 1 2007, 04:12 PM)
Eli,

When you hooked up the Hu 801 did all of the lights on the front of the unit work? The ones on my unit do not light up at night, I am thinking I got a bad unit (good thing it is under warranty). Before I send it back I just wanted to check and see if this is something that also happened to your unit.

Also where did you get your center speaker from? Do you have the part number for that?

Thanks
Keith

Keith, sorry for the late reply. I do recall that the lights on the front of the HU 801 did not work, so I soldered a ground wire to the lighting circuit of the radio near the front behind the face plate. It was a temporary fix, which did work.

The problem is that you do need to get the software download for the lights and steering wheel controls to work.
Since there are 4 versions for this same model, some won't work even with the software download. The chassis number and year of the car have to be within a certain range.

I bought the center channel speaker from the dealership for almost 100. The system works fine, and sounds good.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2006) S80 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsRadio Wires Messed Up
2 nicolie 75 17th July 2014 - 03:00 AM
Last post by: nicolie
No New Posts Upgrading 2004 Xc90 Single Cd To Multi Cd?
0 bigbruggsy 67 18th June 2014 - 12:30 AM
Last post by: bigbruggsy
No New Posts Torque Converter Lockup
5 williala 482 1st April 2014 - 11:51 PM
Last post by: williala
No New Posts Radio Problem V50
0 volvov50chris 426 5th March 2014 - 04:10 PM
Last post by: volvov50chris
No New Posts Radio Repair
Premium Sound Presets not working
3 KJay 480 9th February 2014 - 05:45 PM
Last post by: KJay

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 09:57 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement