Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 2006 S40, Upgrading Audio
nickross64
post Mar 14 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,586
Drives: 2006 S40I

I got this car last week (2006 S40) I would like to upgrade the audio system but cant find an easy way to do this, the dealer is no help. I am thinking of returning the car.
Its rather disappointing that in 2007 I find it so hard to connect an Ipod to a car.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
ElectricSilver T...
post Mar 15 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,504
Drives: 2006 Volvo S40 T5

If you have some free time, you can read through this post: http://www.volvo-forums.com/t5244-s40-ipod...ng-research.htm

I figured out a way to do it that wasn't too difficult, and I can also use an external hard drive or a thumb drive with MP3's on them.

QuoteReply
cm2gj
post Apr 2 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,198
Drives: Volvo S40 Elegance FWD T5

I already read all forums around there. The s40 2006 only have two options:

1- volvo fm transmiter
2- hardwire in the fm module (I need to validate how this works).

The 2007 have the aux input and mp3.

Very bad from volvo... :( :(

QuoteReply
ElectricSilver T...
post Apr 3 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(cm2gj @ Apr 2 2007, 04:12 PM)

2- hardwire in the fm module (I need to validate how this works).

[right][snapback]53935[/snapback][/right]

I installed one in my S40, so let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

QuoteReply
bamann
post May 18 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 28,157
Drives: looking at Volvo S40

"I figured out a way to do it that wasn't too difficult, and I can also use an external hard drive or a thumb drive with MP3's on them."

How did you do this? I'm looking at buying a 2005 S40 but I might not if I can't find a good way to integrate my ipod.

I currently can control my ipod with the steering wheel controls in my VW Jetta, so I'd hate to back track to an FM transmitter.

QuoteReply
Gregoire
post May 21 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Senior

Member No.: 6,913
Drives: Volvo S40 2005 T5

Unfortunatly unless you buy a 2007 model you will not be able to control any auxiliary devices with your steering wheel :(.
You might be able to find some add-on steering wheel control device but they tend to look cheap in my opinion.

Soon it will be 2 years I own my S40t5 and I still love it car!!! I'de do it again even without the Aux...

Greg

QuoteReply
cm2gj
post Jun 1 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,198
Drives: Volvo S40 Elegance FWD T5

please let me know the steps in order to get this to work. the fm air transmissions just is crap

QuoteReply
ElectricSilver T...
post Jun 1 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #8

I wrote an installation how-to on the fourth page of the sticky iPod thread. About half way down the third page of the same thread, I wrote about everything that I bought for the install with links and prices. Hope this helps!

QuoteReply
FlyingL
post Jul 19 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 30,394
Drives: 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i

OK, so how do I find a qualified audio place that can read those instructions and, as Captain Picard would say, Make It So?

QuoteReply
ElectricSilver T...
post Jul 23 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #10

Sorry, I can't help you there. I installed mine myself.

QuoteReply
Mikeynl
post Jul 26 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 30,200
Drives: S 40 2.0d 2006

Dear ElectricSilver,

I followed your instructions and wired my Harman Kardon Drive + Play with the FM-modulator using the 9V-method. A nice unit the HK - I have to say, background hiss is minimal.

At first I did a test install in my sister's car, a Peugeot 206 with a normal car radio and normal antenna. Although there was a small hiss (no filter used yet), the music came out at full dynamic range, better or at least equal to FM-radio.

Then I opened my Volvo S40 (2006) at all sides, made the antenna patch cables (soldered them) etc. and did a clean install.

I have to say, the music comes out of the radio on every frequency I chose, overruling any and all radio station that is broadcasting on that particular frequency. Like I said, minimal background hiss.

Three problems however:

1. The dynamic range seems limited (like some kind of stereo AM quality instead of stereo FM)
2. Harder rock songs seem to break up and make the sound awful
3. Whether I plug in the antenna and modulator or I leave it out of the HK unit, the sound remains unchanged (so bleeding through the air?)

Could it be my patch cables (no connection with the FM modulator)? Radio reception is fine.

Can I hack in anywhere else after the window AM/FM unit into either one of the antenna cables (I found them in the door)?

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks!
Michel

QuoteReply
ElectricSilver T...
post Jul 26 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #12

I answered you in the sticky iPod thread: http://www.volvo-forums.com/t5244-st-100-s...ng-research.htm

QuoteReply
mackloon
post Feb 12 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 52,440
Drives: Volvo s40 2006

QUOTE (Mikeynl @ Jul 26 2007, 05:04 PM)
Dear ElectricSilver,

I followed your instructions and wired my Harman Kardon Drive + Play with the FM-modulator using the 9V-method. A nice unit the HK - I have to say, background hiss is minimal.

At first I did a test install in my sister's car, a Peugeot 206 with a normal car radio and normal antenna. Although there was a small hiss (no filter used yet), the music came out at full dynamic range, better or at least equal to FM-radio.

Then I opened my Volvo S40 (2006) at all sides, made the antenna patch cables (soldered them) etc. and did a clean install.

I have to say, the music comes out of the radio on every frequency I chose, overruling any and all radio station that is broadcasting on that particular frequency. Like I said, minimal background hiss.

Three problems however:

1. The dynamic range seems limited (like some kind of stereo AM quality instead of stereo FM)
2. Harder rock songs seem to break up and make the sound awful
3. Whether I plug in the antenna and modulator or I leave it out of the HK unit, the sound remains unchanged (so bleeding through the air?)

Could it be my patch cables (no connection with the FM modulator)? Radio reception is fine.

Can I hack in anywhere else after the window AM/FM unit into either one of the antenna cables (I found them in the door)?

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks!
Michel

I noticed a while back that you did an install on your 2006 s40 integrating the Harman Kardon Drive + Play. I have had a Drive + Play sitting on the shelf for well over 2 years now, and have been hesitant to hook it up do to the obstacles which I am sure you are fully aware of.

Right now I just have the Drive and Play, and no modulator. I would love to get this thing installed over the weekend, but I have to go pick up a modulator. I was wondering if you ever found a solution that worked out good for you? I would like to get the best sound quality possible without spending more than like $50 total to get what I have hooked up.

If I am going to spend more than that I am going to get the Denison to integrate...which I do not have the $$$ in my budget for at the moment. If you could lend a hand, and tell me what worked best for you it would be greatly appreciated. If I am wasting my time trying to get something to work, that is also fine...I just want to know up front.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2004.5+) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 2006 C70 Cigarette Lighter
1 dancuthbertson 92 31st August 2014 - 07:15 AM
Last post by: grendel1960
No New Posts S40 Alarm And Mobiles ?!
1 BlackRain 180 18th August 2014 - 10:39 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsS40 Electric Problem
0 frost 496 29th May 2014 - 01:09 AM
Last post by: frost
No New Posts 2006 Xc90 2.5t - What To Check Before Buying ?
I am about to come on the XC90 side of the force.
1 Guinness9 624 28th March 2014 - 05:43 AM
Last post by: tpsells
No New Posts S40 Oil Trap/pcv Repair
Anyone done this?
2 dfagan261 1,474 27th February 2014 - 09:01 AM
Last post by: mf70

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 05:20 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement