Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Transmission Fluid Flush?
NCS60
post Feb 19 2007, 09:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,335
Drives: S60

I just purchased an 01 2.4t with an automatic transmission (non-geartronic) and I checked the ATF fluid (yellow top dipstick), which I noticed was brown. It does not seem to have any transmission issues but I figured since the fluid was black then it need to be changed. From previous posts (search function) it seems you needed 15 quarts of fluid to flush it properly. My question is, should I let the dealer complete this or is this an easy job to do at home? The fluid did not smell bad but it was BROWN....so I am sure it needs to be replaced asap. How much will it cost if I do it myself as compared to the dealer?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
NCS60
post Feb 19 2007, 11:22 AM
Post #2

I just called an independent Volvo Mechanic and was told absolutely do NOT flush the transmission fluid. He said that Volvo had an additive in the ATF fluid and that it was no big deal that the fluid was black. He said most individuals start having problems with their transmissions after a fluid flush or add/drain. It sounded good to me (although hard for "me" to believe coming from my experience with american transmissions in the past) especially since he wasn't making any money off of me for not taking my car to him.....The dealer quoted me $369.99 for a ATF flush....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

QuoteReply
Rick Case
post Feb 19 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,940
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60 T5 AW5

QUOTE(NCS60 @ Feb 19 2007, 11:22 AM)
I just called an independent Volvo Mechanic and was told absolutely do NOT flush the transmission fluid. He said that Volvo had an additive in the ATF fluid and that it was no big deal that the fluid was black. He said most individuals start having problems with their transmissions after a fluid flush or add/drain. It sounded good to me (although hard for "me" to believe coming from my experience with american transmissions in the past) especially since he wasn't making any money off of me for not taking my car to him.....The dealer quoted me $369.99 for a ATF flush....

Any ideas?

Thanks!
[right][snapback]51415[/snapback][/right]

Why would the dealer have an ATF machine if thery weren't designed to be flushed?

QuoteReply
Damotu
post Feb 19 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #4

Senior

Member No.: 19,651
Drives: 2002 Volvo S80-T6 and 2001 Chevrolet Suburban

:blush: Think I'd call another 'Volvo Mechanic' for a opinion., better yet a known Auto Transmission Shop...I have never seen Black Tranny fluid., burnt smell and darker color yes., not black.....I'am not sure Volvo condones adding an additive to the fluid, possible others might.....Good luck

QuoteReply
NCS60
post Feb 19 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #5

I don't disagree, I am just a little confused with different opinions. As far as the fluid goes, it is dark brown/black and the vehicle has had ALL routine maint. done at the dealer (inlcuding the 60K, 75K & 105K mile services). I went back through all of the maint. records and noticed that at all of the services listed that the dealer checked the Transmission fluid as part of the service. The vehicle now has 106K miles and I was wondering if this should have been questioned at the 105K service? The individual I purchased it from always replaced everything per technicians suggestion but it's strange that this was never an issue brought up by the technician?

Thanks again for all the help!

QuoteReply
NCS60
post Feb 20 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #6

I looked at the fluid a little closer last night and it actually appears the fluid is BROWN and not black. My mistake....(basement is not lighted very well). I still plan on doing a flush at home this summer. Thanks for the help.

QuoteReply
ClimberD
post Dec 11 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 65,648
Drives: 04 Volvo S60 T5 FWD

3-year bump

Answers to this are more relevant than ever, as these cars get older. Dealers have flush machines because they are cash flow blessings. Dealers make money if they ruin your transmission, because then they can do the trans swap, or sell you a newer car. Volvo North America has no interest in their transmissions lasting, which is why they do not say to replace the atf ever. If you have experience with cars, then you will know 30k is about the maximum life for conventional auxiliary fluids such as atf. Our S60 had brown ATF at 70k, which is a real shame since some wear has already been caused by lack of proper lubricating fluid. I've been doing an ATF drain & fill at every oil change to slowly and safely get it back to proper atf condition. It's been working fine.

I threw in Amsoil ATF last time, but it was too thick for the trans. I put in Toyota Type-IV this time, and it's definitely good stuff. Was as easy as an oil change with the proper long, skinny flex neck funnel. Anyways, if you want to make the dealer a LOT of money (it is the season of giving) and risk destroying your transmission (I have seen this happen disturbingly often after flushes dislodge all the crap that then plugs up all the trans orifices), then flushing is the way to go.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Transmission Issue (error Code Tcm002c)
Volvo S80 2.0 Turbo
5 sonic3 1,044 26th November 2013 - 07:25 PM
Last post by: pkrface
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsTransmission Problems With My First 240
2 245buster 605 17th July 2013 - 11:10 AM
Last post by: SykO
No New Posts Transmission Interchange?
What transmissions can be made to work in a 2002 v70xc?
1 rickn540 1,680 17th April 2013 - 07:30 PM
Last post by: sailor1065
No New Posts Transmission Leak Around Kick Down Cable
0 The Fonz 346 20th January 2013 - 08:58 PM
Last post by: The Fonz
No New Posts Transmission Service Required
1 Zee 2,020 2nd January 2013 - 02:30 PM
Last post by: volvotech06

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 05:23 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement