Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Check Engine Light At Half Tank, Check Engine Light
beacher
post Feb 5 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,239
Drives: 2000 V70

Greetings,
We recently purchased a 2000 V70. Very happy with the car except whenever the gas tank gets down to the half tank mark the Check Engine Light comes on. We've taken it back to the dealer who ran a diagnostic and came up with nothing. I don't know if it's worth noting but the gas tank was full when the diagnostic was run. The dealer reset the light and it stayed off until we once again hit half a tank. We have tried higher octane fuel and tightening the gas cap but neither of these has made a difference. The timing belt was replaced when we bought it from the dealer. So far the dealer has covered the cost of scans and agreed to fix it free of charge is they found something (we've owned the car for less than two weeks). Any thoughts on what is causing this and should we be concered?

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
850Rarg
post Feb 5 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,189
Drives: 855R ; 240 SW

Something in the in-tank fuel pump might be bothering.
Maybe it sucks air when half full

QuoteReply
Damotu
post Feb 5 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 19,651
Drives: 2002 Volvo S80-T6 and 2001 Chevrolet Suburban

:blush: Same thing happend to my S80, except it was about on the quarter tank mark..Check Engine light came on and then died..Finally got it started and made it to the nearest gas station...It was full at 16.5 gallons (Vehicle has tank capacity of 21.5 gallons)..

Put a pressure gauge on the fuel pump and found it was pumping 15psi and should be around 55/60psi....Fuel pump replaced, problem solved..Just returned from San Diego and drove over 525 miles before refueling...
Hope your vehicle is still under warranty., it not it will cost in the 700/800 dollar range...Good luck

QuoteReply
850Rarg
post Feb 6 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #4

If the pump is sucking air, then probably the pump itself is OK and the rubber hose connecting the pump body to the pump assembly has a crack.
I donīt know exactly how it is in your model, but most cars have that kind of system.
If the pump is bad thou, try finding a Bosch replacement. They cost far less than Volvo parts and are in fact the same thing.

QuoteReply
volvo4mula
post Feb 6 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,213
Drives: bertone 780

QUOTE(850Rarg @ Feb 6 2007, 11:00 AM)
If the pump is sucking air, then probably the pump itself is OK and the rubber  hose connecting the pump body to the pump assembly has a crack.
I donīt know exactly how it is in your model, but most cars have that kind of system.
If the pump is bad thou, try finding a Bosch replacement. They cost far less than Volvo parts and are in fact the same thing.
[right][snapback]50525[/snapback][/right]

S80 intank pumps are vastly different than 850 units. the P1 cars (s80, v70, s60) have a split tank and one pump. The pump has an atatchment that spans to the other side of the tank to draw the fuel. Usually they draw one side down then the other. I have seen lots of problems with the pump and some with the second level sensor on the drivers side. The job is pricey because the tank has to be evacuated first and the rear seat has to be removed before the job can be started. It is the most involved fuel pump replacement procedure for a volvo so far.
If the light is coming on at half tank and the car is running fine it may not be a pump problem. The problem may also be in the evap system. If there is a leak in one of the hoses or if the shut off valve is bad you could have some of these problems. I would have the evap system visually inspected and smoke checked and have the purge valve and shut off valves tested. I would also have the fuel pressure and volume checked (very easy to do).

QuoteReply
volvo4mula
post Feb 6 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 24,213
Drives: bertone 780

Also has the gas cap been replaced? If not it wouldn't hurt to do so since the car is 7 years old and those seals are prone to small vacuum leaks.

QuoteReply
850Rarg
post Feb 6 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #7

another interesting aproach

QuoteReply
beacher
post Feb 9 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 24,239
Drives: 2000 V70

When they ran a second diagnostic this morning they discovered a problem with the air flow sensor. I'm not sure how this would relate to the fact that the light consistently comes on when we reach half a tank but they have agreed to fix it at no cost.

The possible solutions provided so far through this forum seem more likely than a problem with a sensor. Can someone explain to me how the gas tank and the air flow sensor could be related - or is this just a really good coincidence?

QuoteReply
850Rarg
post Feb 9 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #9

Seems to me they are not related. However, if they put a brand new MAF at no cost I wouldnt bother. Tell them you want to keep the old maf. One never knows.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2000) S70, V70 & V70XC Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Engine Immobilised !
Volvo Guard Alarm playing up.
4 slicknick 284 11th January 2014 - 09:41 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Engine Electronic Lamp
2 Soft 326 31st October 2013 - 02:44 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Engine Knocking
1 Begibbs1 554 9th September 2013 - 05:08 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsCheck Engine Light Is Switched On!
1 Talha Sajjad 754 15th August 2013 - 06:10 AM
Last post by: Peelot
No New Posts Engine Cut Out Due To Key
2 JuanHiggs 543 31st July 2013 - 11:00 AM
Last post by: JuanHiggs

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:11 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement