Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Problem In Steering?, Problem in Steering?
cattrizz22
post Jan 31 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,021
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC 90 T6 AWD

Hi all!

I am so happy I found this site. It is great to be able to compare notes with other Volvo XC90 owners. Overall I have been satisfied with my Volvo and my previous problems have been more related to my dealer but that is a whole different story. :)

The question I have now is about a noise in the steering wheel. We recently moved to Maryland where the state inspections are pretty strict. My 2004 XC90 failed inspection because the inspector said that he heard a noise in the steering that I needed to have checked out. I immediately brought it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong and that it was a normal sound for that model. Upon bringing it back to the inspector he failed it again insisting there is an issue. Brought it back to the dealer and they are insisting there is not an issue.

Has anyone had this problem? I dont know who to believe! I bought the Volvo because safety was one of my primary concerns and I don't like feeling unsafe in my car.

Thanks for any information you can share!

Cat
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
M3 Driver
post Feb 11 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,271
Drives: 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

Cat,

Sorry to hear about your problems - can you describe the noise?

If the dealer says there is no abnormal noise - then perhaps you can go to a different inspection station to get your sticker. If that isn't possible, then maybe you need to find another dealer.

Dan

QuoteReply
staceyx5
post Feb 15 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,482
Drives: 2003 Volvo XC 90 T6

Take it somewhere else, you can read my story under the Oil Leak Tread, but long story short
I AM NOTICING A TREND ON SEVERAL OF THESE POSTS THAT THE VOLVO MECHANICS BRUSH PEOPLE OFF. NICE! THESE ARE EXPENSIVE VEHICLES AND THIS IS THE SERVICE VOLVO OFFERS?! I AM NOT IMPRESSED!
Take it to a service facility not linked to a dealership or something, but I have a feeling you won't get an answer from the quacks at the Volvo Dealerships.
Best of luck to you : )

QuoteReply
mach0123
post Mar 15 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 25,893
Drives: jeep

there is a service bulletin out for steering rack noises. if you are at a stop and hear a knock when turning the wheel back and forth quickly you probably need the steering gear adjusted. 17mm adjusts the gear. you might need a pry bar to get the sway bar out of the way enough. there are marks on the adjustment bolt. you should mark the current position on the rack and the gear with permanent marker then move the adjuster 4-6 lines clockwise. its kind of hard to do since the sway bar is in the way. if adjusting the gear does not get rid of the noise, the car will need a new steering rack. usually the steering racks end up being replaced.

QuoteReply
XC90AWD
post Dec 22 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 36,076
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD

mach0123, where did you hear the steering rack service bulletin from? would like to know more since my XC90 have a steering issue

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Intermittent Starting Problem!
My 2001 C70 2L LPT has developed an intermittent starting problem.
6 bay72 931 15th August 2014 - 10:11 AM
Last post by: MJH
No New Posts Intermittent Failure Fob/remote
1 Jasper van Dijk 250 3rd July 2014 - 03:30 AM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Intermittent Speedometer/odometer Failure
Intermittent speedometer/odometer failure
2 budalla 333 2nd June 2014 - 07:57 AM
Last post by: moncharleskey
No New Posts Installling Aftermarket Radio
3 Alex G 868 11th January 2014 - 01:07 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Steering Wheel Trim Differences
1 vlvwagon 341 18th November 2013 - 03:03 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 06:55 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement