Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Starting Problems, Intermitent Starting problems
hutchinson440
post Jan 2 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,176
Drives: 1994 volvo 440

Here I am again. now my Volvo 400 a month ago had starting problems ie: just would not turn over or start. I have replaced the battery, my local garage replaced the starter motor, great woked for a day then would not start, back to the garage. They placed another cable from the engine to the body. Great working ok for over a month. Came to car yesterday and it would not start, left it a few minutes, turned key started ok. Any Ideas or has anybody had same problem? (ihave replaced both battery terminals one with a new earth lead and the battery is a Bosch sliver one)</span>
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
blazp
post Jan 2 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,916
Drives: 1995 Volvo 460

i had problem with car alarm module (which consists of immobilizer, alarm and central locking sistem). Sometimes engine didn't start. I left car for couple of hours and then it started normally. I replaced it and now it works ok.

QuoteReply
cbt123
post Nov 18 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 34,853
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

Did you ever get your starting problem fixed?

I am dealing with the same issue for a 2002 Volvo S60- intermittantly won't start, crank or turnover, but the dash lights come on. I also have left it at a Volvo dealer for 4 days, but they could never duplicate the problem. There are never any codes that appear. I have also had the limp-home mode recall software change done on my Volvo, still intermittnatly won't start. Also I have had a software change on all the door locks.

Below is a copy of my first post today from another msg. I saw from someone who looked like they had the same problem:
Hi there!

I am brand new to this forum but couldn't help to take interest in your "car won't start" issue.

I have a 2002 S60 that has had this very intermittant and tricky problem to diagnose for about the last 2 years. The car will not turn over, but the lights come on, the air will blow, you can turn the radio on, but as far as the car and the engine, it is silent, it will not start, it's dead. It all began shortly after I purchased the vehicle used. Trust me, we have spent thousands of dollars and seen 3-4 different Volvo dealerships and other mechanics, none who could diagnose the problem. I am curious to know if the crank shift faulty wiring was in fact your problem. I noticed this was posted about 1 year ago and not sure if you have resolved your problem yet. I really am hoping you did because I really love my Volvo, it is sporty and red and really good looking and it drives good too, when it starts I might add.

I have been standed at night several times, a female alone. I have had it towed twice to the dealership only for it to start for them after pulling it right off the tow truck. I have paid over $100 to have new keys made, that did not fix it. I have had the battery checked 3 times....it's good. I have had a new starter put in, a new ignition switch installed, and a new PNP switch installed (that was our original gut feeling of what the prob. was), so after all of that when the PNP switch was installed about 3 months ago, I did not have any more problems.....for awhile.

Until it came back 2 weeks ago. I learned throughout the last 2 years, after the first half dozen times when I was stranded that if I would keep the key turned enough for the lights to come on, put my foot on the brake where it would take pressure, and then take the car out of gear and then put it in neutral and then back in park while turning the key as soon as it hit park, it would start every time (but sometimes with a slight hesitation) Then after the PNP switch was installed, I thought my problem was solved, but it's not.

Now today, after trying all my little tricks to get it to start, putting it in neutral and then back in park......it still would not start! My husband took his jumper cables and we jumped started it and I drove it straight to Auto Zone, sure that I had a dead battery. It registered over 12.44- it was good. My problem is back!

Can someone please let me know what maybe has been missed? I even went to a Toyota dealership today to drive a new Camry because I was sick and tired of this undependable car, no matter how good looking it is. Needless to say I was not impressed with the new Camry's....my Volvo is soooooo much nicer and my interior is a big cut above all the Toyotas.

Please help!!!

QuoteReply
kitcloudkicker
post Apr 8 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 40,772
Drives: 2004 Volvo S60R

Have you resolved that issue? I think I have the same exact issue with my S60R. I love my car and I'm not ready to give it up yet.

QuoteReply
Lemon
post Apr 15 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 55,613
Drives: Volvo 2002 S60

QUOTE (kitcloudkicker @ Apr 8 2008, 02:54 PM)
Have you resolved that issue? I think I have the same exact issue with my S60R. I love my car and I'm not ready to give it up yet.

QuoteReply
Lemon
post Apr 15 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 55,613
Drives: Volvo 2002 S60

QUOTE (cbt123 @ Nov 19 2007, 12:24 AM)

I am dealing with the same issue for a 2002 Volvo S60- intermittantly won't start, crank or turnover, but the dash lights come on. I also have left it at a Volvo dealer for 4 days, but they could never duplicate the problem. There are never any codes that appear. I have also had the limp-home mode recall software change done on my Volvo, still intermittnatly won't start. Also I have had a software change on all the door locks.

Below is a copy of my first post today from another msg. I saw from someone who looked like they had the same problem:
Hi there!

I am brand new to this forum but couldn't help to take interest in your "car won't start" issue.

I have a 2002 S60 that has had this very intermittant and tricky problem to diagnose for about the last 2 years. The car will not turn over, but the lights come on, the air will blow, you can turn the radio on, but as far as the car and the engine, it is silent, it will not start, it's dead. It all began shortly after I purchased the vehicle used. Trust me, we have spent thousands of dollars and seen 3-4 different Volvo dealerships and other mechanics, none who could diagnose the problem. I am curious to know if the crank shift faulty wiring was in fact your problem. I noticed this was posted about 1 year ago and not sure if you have resolved your problem yet. I really am hoping you did because I really love my Volvo, it is sporty and red and really good looking and it drives good too, when it starts I might add.

I have been standed at night several times, a female alone. I have had it towed twice to the dealership only for it to start for them after pulling it right off the tow truck. I have paid over $100 to have new keys made, that did not fix it. I have had the battery checked 3 times....it's good. I have had a new starter put in, a new ignition switch installed, and a new PNP switch installed (that was our original gut feeling of what the prob. was), so after all of that when the PNP switch was installed about 3 months ago, I did not have any more problems.....for awhile.

Until it came back 2 weeks ago. I learned throughout the last 2 years, after the first half dozen times when I was stranded that if I would keep the key turned enough for the lights to come on, put my foot on the brake where it would take pressure, and then take the car out of gear and then put it in neutral and then back in park while turning the key as soon as it hit park, it would start every time (but sometimes with a slight hesitation) Then after the PNP switch was installed, I thought my problem was solved, but it's not.

Now today, after trying all my little tricks to get it to start, putting it in neutral and then back in park......it still would not start! My husband took his jumper cables and we jumped started it and I drove it straight to Auto Zone, sure that I had a dead battery. It registered over 12.44- it was good. My problem is back!

Can someone please let me know what maybe has been missed? I even went to a Toyota dealership today to drive a new Camry because I was sick and tired of this undependable car, no matter how good looking it is. Needless to say I was not impressed with the new Camry's....my Volvo is soooooo much nicer and my interior is a big cut above all the Toyotas.

Please help!!!

QuoteReply
jackal3688
post Jun 20 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 58,469
Drives: 2003 Volvo S60 AWD

Have any of you found a solution to your problems? I am having similar problems with my 2003 S60 AWD. I just got a new battery, so I know it cant be the battery. Also, when I put the keys in the ignition, everything inside the car (radio, A/C, lights) work fine. I turn the keys to turn the car on, and the headlights go on, but the car doesnt start. I had this problem a week ago and got the starter engine replaced. It was fine for a few days until the same sort of problem came back again. I am baffled, I do not know what to do. I keep taking it to the mechanic and they end up either starting the car fine without fail several times all throughout the day, or they cant find anything wrong with it. Please, if any has had any success in fixing this type of problem, any help would really be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys

QuoteReply
mattstat435
post Jul 4 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 58,884
Drives: 2001 volvo s60 2.4 na loaded

try looking under the dash by the brake pedal and behind the obd2 plug there is a unit (my guess the imobilizer unit) check to make sure the all the connections are properly seated.

I also replaced antenna ring to no avail when I decided to check under the dash and low and behold there are loose wires I put them where they belong and away i went and have not had any issues since

I have heard of people jabbing on the brakes to get the car stated maybe the jabbing is causing those loose connections to make contact and thus allowing the car to start. I dont know maybe this is just my car but i doesnt hurt to try I was about to pay for a new immobilizer unit when i found this.

QuoteReply
MamasV70 Wagon
post Mar 10 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 69,964
Drives: 2004 Volvo V70

QUOTE (mattstat435 @ Jul 4 2009, 11:45 AM)
try looking under the dash by the brake pedal and behind the obd2 plug there is a unit (my guess the imobilizer unit) check to make sure the all the connections are properly seated.

I also replaced antenna ring to no avail when I decided to check under the dash and low and behold there are loose wires I put them where they belong and away i went and have not had any issues since

I have heard of people jabbing on the brakes to get the car stated maybe the jabbing is causing those loose connections to make contact and thus allowing the car to start. I dont know maybe this is just my car but i doesnt hurt to try I was about to pay for a new immobilizer unit when i found this.

I had the same issue...intermittent starting...turn the key and everything seemed fine but the starter wasn't engaging...after months of dealing with it...it just failed to start for several days straight...turned out to be the small wire connection to the solenoid (pick wire)...cleaned it and it fired right up!!

QuoteReply
laumanweb
post Jul 22 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 75,870
Drives: lots of volvos

I have had problem with starting my 92 Volvo for the last three years (only in heat of summer).
I have had it worked on and have replaced various parts. Diagnostics read that there aren't any problems with it. It starts, but won't turn over. My brother who is the second smartest person I know says it is "ballast resistor". So now I am looking into this. Who knows?

QuoteReply
bradley nguyen
post Apr 21 2011, 01:14 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 88,368
Drives: s60 2002 volvo

QUOTE (cbt123 @ Nov 18 2007, 11:24 PM)

Hi there!

Please help!!!

Hi my name is Bradley. I am new !

But i just got my Volvo S60 2002- non turbo. And i got the same problem as you!

And i tried the same thing as you, put the gear back to Neutral and Park. ( I assume that because the car is not recognize the the P and D position).

It did work but it took time. So i dont thing it is the key for the problem

Do a lot of research.

Some people say it is the key. It doesnt recognize the ignition

Some say some wires are loose seated!

Some say because of the immobilize!

I myself i am not sure. But one thing i assume is Volvo car depends too much on the computer program.

Please help me

QuoteReply
Roy321
post Apr 23 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 73,535
Drives: 1990 740, 1992 240, 1998 S90

QUOTE (bradley nguyen @ Apr 21 2011, 01:14 AM)
Hi my name is Bradley. I am new !

But i just got my Volvo S60 2002- non turbo. And i got the same problem as you!

And i tried the same thing as you, put the gear back to Neutral and Park. ( I assume that because the car is not recognize the the P and D position).

It did work but it took time. So i dont thing it is the key for the problem

Do a lot of research.

Some people say it is the key. It doesnt recognize the ignition

Some say some wires are loose seated!

Some say because of the immobilize!

I myself i am not sure. But one thing i assume is Volvo car depends too much on the computer program.

Please help me

Bradley, if moving the shifter sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, I would suspect the neutral safety switch is going bad. When it happens again, keep the key twisted all the way clockwise where it would otherwise crank, then reach over to the shifter and move it slightly up and back -- but not so far as to put it in reverse. If it cranks at that point, the neutral safety switch is most likely your culprit.

QuoteReply
Eve
post Apr 29 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 88,716
Drives: 1989 Volvo 440 GLT injection

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Hello to everyone!!I drive the Volvo 440 GLT injection of the year 1989!!my parents bought it at Brussels and we grew up together that why I adore it so much!!!although it is 23 years old is at a very good condition!!!unfortunatelly one year now I have a problem which seems to be unsolved!!first it doesn't get straight ahead!!second Comes out black smoke from the exhaust!not always!!third always it turns off!!I must all the time keep pressing the gas in order to Upload speed so that the engine won't turn off!!does someone knows something?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post May 26 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #14

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Eve @ Apr 29 2011, 12:43 PM)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Hello to everyone!!I drive the Volvo 440 GLT injection of the year 1989!!my parents bought it at Brussels and we grew up together that why I adore it so much!!!although it is 23 years old is at a very good condition!!!unfortunatelly one year now I have a problem which seems to be unsolved!!first it doesn't get straight ahead!!second Comes out black smoke from the exhaust!not always!!third always it turns off!!I must all the time keep pressing the gas in order to Upload speed so that the engine won't turn off!!does someone knows something?

change the fuel pump relay,get a good fuel cleaner into your fuel tank,check your air filter,and the box it is in ,change the air filter if dirty,and clean your idle control valve ,remove and clean it,and clean the inside of your throttle body ,with carb cleaner.and check your plugs are not dirty,with soot,if so clean or replace.

QuoteReply
Eve
post May 27 2011, 09:30 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ May 26 2011, 02:57 PM)
change the fuel pump relay,get a good fuel cleaner into your fuel tank,check your air filter,and the box it is in ,change the air filter if dirty,and clean your idle control valve ,remove and clean it,and clean the inside of your throttle body ,with carb cleaner.and check your plugs are not dirty,with soot,if so clean or replace.

Thank you very much for replying to my problem!!I went to the engineer and at last he found the problem!!the fuel pressure regulator was out of order!!!now my Volvo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) works much much better! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QuoteReply
tejas24478
post Jun 12 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 90,741
Drives: 2000 Volvo S80 T6

QUOTE (Eve @ May 27 2011, 09:30 AM)
Thank you very much for replying to my problem!!I went to the engineer and at last he found the problem!!the fuel pressure regulator was out of order!!!now my Volvo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) works much much better! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have 2000 Volvo s80 T6 ...
It is not getting started.. It seemed to me like my battery has drained out..So put a jump starter box and tried to start it ...But even with jump starter it makes just clicking noise and does not start..!

AC, other lights everything works when I try to start but the engine doesn't start up.

Before I faced this problem I had turn signal not working so I removed fuse 21, 22, 25 and 35 and then kept them back... Then I started facing this starting problem... and turn started working !!!

The battery seems fine ... and I am trying to start with jumper box ... What could be the issue... please help me with this..

Thanks...

QuoteReply
tejas24478
post Jun 12 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 90,741
Drives: 2000 Volvo S80 T6

It is not getting started.. It seemed to me like my battery has drained out..So put a jump starter box and tried to start it ...But even with jump starter it makes just clicking noise and does not start..!

AC, other lights everything works when I try to start but the engine doesn't start up.

Before I faced this problem I had turn signal not working so I removed fuse 21, 22, 25 and 35 and then kept them back... Then I started facing this starting problem... and turn started working !!!

The battery seems fine ... and I am trying to start with jumper box ... What could be the issue... please help me with this..

Thanks...

QuoteReply
Eve
post Jun 12 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (tejas24478 @ Jun 12 2011, 01:07 PM)

Thanks...

Hi,my car is older than yours!!440 GLT 1989 but I faced a similar problem before 2years!!the lights were on but the engine did not work!I thought the battery too but it was ok!!the problem was the petrol pump (which is under the back seats)I replaced it and it worked fine afterwards!!I know that your car has newer technology than mines!! I wish I helped you!!!

QuoteReply
Maxy
post Aug 20 2011, 01:10 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 90,275
Drives: Volvo V40

I deal with the same question for a Volvo S60 2002-intermittent will not start, or rotation of the crankshaft, but the bulbs. It also left me with a Volvo dealer for four days, but could never reproduce the problem. There is never any codes that appear. I also had a change of software limp booster is my way of Volvo, intermittnatly still not working. I also had a change of software in all the locks on the doors

QuoteReply
Geni
post Sep 27 2011, 07:40 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 95,964
Drives: 2003 Volvo S60 T5

I am having the exact same issue with my 2003 S60... it happened first time last week when I came out from work to go home. I ended up sitting in the parking lot for few hours before someone I know came and helped me out. He ended up (after re-checking all the fuses and the battery) knocking on the starter and the car started like nothing was wrong before... but while I was trying to start it it was giving me the message about immobilizer... It happened again this morning and again a knock on the starter did thr trick ... I will be replacing that and will see if it stops... but after reading posts here I am not so optimistic anymore ... maybe it's the antitheft/immobilizer unit that went...TT

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 440, 460 & 480 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Starting Problems In Hot Weather S60 2001
2 manofsteel05 848 25th June 2013 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: J. A. Higgins
No New Posts Starting Problems
Battery, Alternator, Regulator or Starter?
1 2007S60 868 9th March 2013 - 07:53 PM
Last post by: grendel1960
No New Posts Problems With Grom Usb2-plus
Startup problems
0 Emil889 887 3rd February 2013 - 11:53 AM
Last post by: Emil889
No New Posts Problems To Look For In 1988 740 Turbo Wagon
1 cholyoke 1,458 10th January 2013 - 06:15 AM
Last post by: Jopower
No New Posts Starting Problems
1 VampireNick 925 6th January 2013 - 06:00 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:10 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement