Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> What Would Be The Best Oil To Use ?
Volvo Virgin
post Nov 5 2006, 07:33 AM
Post #1

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,785
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60 T S

Been driving my S60 around for around 4000 miles and had to top up the oil recently - was surprised how much it took from min to max on the dipstick.

What would be the best oil to use when I change it ?

The handbook is not too specific .... 0/30 0/40 5/30 5/40 10/30 10/40 ?

VADIS has the same little chart but the 5/30 & 5/40 arrows are 'greyed' out as though that would be recommended.

But i'm sure found a chart somewhere on VADIS that listed all the engines with a specific grade - and i'm sure it stated 0/30 for the 2.0T engine. (trouble is I can't find it now)

What brand would you recommend - I was going to use Mobil 1 but was also looking at a Castrol oil, I think it was called 'Edge' or something.
Also finding 0/30 hard to find although I can easily get 0/40 Mobil 1 - but I suppose I could order it ?

It also says that it's normal for these engines to burn oil at around 0.15 ~ 0.2 litres every 1000K or 600 miles - so thats about a litre every 3000 miles.
Perhaps a little more for higher milage (i'm up to around 107K at the moment).
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Robinson Crusoe
post Nov 5 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,894
Drives: 2000 S70 AWD, 2001 S60 T5

Hello V V,

Everyone will probably have an opinion on this one, here is mine :)

After 30 years of oil changes I have migrated to synthetic lubricants, and use Mobil 1 in my all of my operational vehicles. I have had one test done on the crankcase oil from my 2001 S60 T5, after ~6,000 miles of mixed highway/city driving, and even with this synthetic, the results convinced me that 6,000 miles/10,000 km is probably the upper limit on oil change frequency. With conventional/non-synthetic oils I have always considered 3,000 miles/5,000 km the upper limit. I am probably more conservative than most, but even today, lubricant changes are much cheaper than engine overhauls and poorer fuel economy.

I am uncertain what oils are available in your area, but over the years I have found Castrol and Mobil to produce good quality lubricants. If you wish to stay with conventional/non-synthetic oils, either of these manufacturers should offer an adequate selection. I am fully of the belief that a consistent diet of fresh lubricant, irrespective of brand/type, is one of the most important engine maintenance practices. Your oil consumption of .2 liters per 1000 km seems high to me, and so you might wish to have a compression check done.

Where I live ambient temperatures can approach 100 F/38 C in the summer and -25 F/-32 C in the winter and I use 10W-30 spring - autumn 5W-30 in the winter. Depending on how cold it gets this winter, I might try 0W-30.

I hope this helps,

RC

QuoteReply
Damotu
post Nov 5 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 19,651
Drives: 2002 Volvo S80-T6 and 2001 Chevrolet Suburban

:banana: Completely agree with forum member., Robinson-Cruso...If you are willing to change the oil/filter between 3000-5000 miles, and due scheduled maintenance as per your owners manual, you'll get 100-200 thousand miles without any engine trouble...IMHO it is'nt necessary to spend 4-6 dollars a quart for the so called full synthetic super oil that claim 10 to 25 thousand mile interval
between changes...Thats way to long regardless of oil you may use.....
Cheap insurance to change more often and a lot easier on the pocket book..
This is your choice and know others may differ..Good luck whatever...

QuoteReply
Volvo Virgin
post Nov 5 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #4

Expert

Well at 107k I guess it would pay to carry out more frequent oil changes anyway.
With my next service due at 114k - now would be midway.

Even the cost of semi synthetic oils seem to have crept up - so much so there seems little between them.

The cheapest I have found 0/40 Mobil 1 is around 25 + VAT / 4 Litres from Costco. Which is not too bad considering I have seen it on sale elsewhere for almost twice that.

But it's the grades that have me a little confused, here in the UK we are rarely below -5 C in the Winter and in a good Summer we might reach 35 C
(RC all I can say is God help us if the UK ever sees anything close to -30 C ~ this place would come to a complete and utter standstill)

Bearing this in mind and that Volvo recommend Fully Synthetic for the Turbo engines what grade or viscosity would offer the best protection for my higher milage engine ?

On the fuel consumption, according to VADIS ....
Driving between 5,000 and 150,000 km
Normal driving: up to 0.25 litres per 1000 km is considered normal consumption.
Note: The oil consupmtion can be as much as the following at 150,000 km. The oil consumption can be approx. 0.35 - 0.55 litres per 1000 km under all conditions.

So do these figures seem normal - what sort of consumption should I expect ?

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Nov 6 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #5

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,684
Drives: formerly 2005 S60R

I started with Royal Purple, then realized Volvo recommends Castrol. Been using Syntec since then, 5w30 now with winter coming. 10w30 when it looks like the 80's and up are coming.

I realize this is a U.S. site, but it might help.\...
http://www.volvocars.us/tools/OwnersInfo/

From the owners manual (there is a chart, but isnt coming up when I copy here)
"pg. 171 Oils and fluids

Oil quality
Meeting minimum ILSAC specification GF- 2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/ CF and SJ/ Energy Conserving. Your Volvo has been certified using ILSAC oil specification GF- 2 5W/ 30.

Depending on your driving habits, premium or synthetic oils may provide superior fuel economy and engine protection. Consult your Volvo retailer for recommendations on premium or synthetic oils. Volvo does not recommend the use of oil additives.

Volvo recommends use of oil with a quality rating equal to or higher than ILSAC GF- 2. Equivalent and better oils include ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/ CF, and SJ/ Energy conserving. Lower quality oils may not offer the same fuel economy, engine performance, or engine protection.

Operation in hot climates
When temperatures exceed 86 F (30 C) in your area, Volvo recommends, for the protection of your engine, that you use a heavier weight oil, such as SAE 10W/ 30. See the viscosity chart at right.

Oil viscosity (stable ambient temperatures)
Operation in temperate climates
Incorrect viscosity oil can shorten engine life. Under normal use when temperatures do not exceed 86 F (30 C), SAE 5W/ 30 will provide good fuel economy and engine protection. See the viscosity chart at right.

Extreme engine operation
Synthetic oils meeting SAE 10W/ 30 and complying with oil quality requirements are recommended for driving in areas of sustained temperature extremes (hot or cold), when towing a trailer over long distances, and for prolonged driving in mountainous areas."

QuoteReply
hugdi
post Nov 7 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,574
Drives: 89 volvo 240, 96 volvo 850, 2001 volvo s60

Greetings, We have 3 volvos 240,850 and S60. In the 850 and well as the S60 we run Mobile 1 10w30. We were advised to wait until 10,K on it we did wait. During that time we used Castrol 10w30. We still use it in the 240 because we were advised to do so by one of our mechanics ( in business for 20 years and only works on volvos ). We now have 55K and the car runs like a dream we currently get 29.75 miles to the gallon on the hwy and 24 in the city we do run 93 octain for the most part. The car uses 6.10 quarts of oil but we never top off to max. :)

QuoteReply
Damotu
post Nov 8 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #7

Senior

Member No.: 19,651
Drives: 2002 Volvo S80-T6 and 2001 Chevrolet Suburban

:grin: Comment to forum member 'hugdi'...My 02-S80-T6 has a oil capacity of 7.5 qts including filter,,Have only driven abut 2500 miles since purchase, and have not added any additional oil..I do plan on changing oil/filter ea 3000 miles....I also use 91 octane fuel and just recently had the injectors cleaned....Yesterday I drove to Phoenix and return here to Tucson,., All interstate (I-10) and mostly between 75-80 mph...
Refilled the tank this morning and got 30mpg...Very pleased.... :)

QuoteReply
nervegrind3r
post Nov 8 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,299
Drives: 2002 S60 N/A

drop a little extra virgin olive oil in there, my s60 loves it.

otherwise I'd say mobil 1 synthetic

QuoteReply
Volvo Virgin
post Nov 10 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #9

Expert

Thanks for you comments, nervegrind3r would garlic infused olive oil do ? :grin:

I intend to use fully synthetic - either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge, but I can't decide on the viscosity (it all confuses me a bit)

VADIS seems to specify 0/30 for my B5204T5 engine but for the climate in the UK I would probably be better with 5/30 or 5/40.

Also with the milage being a bit on the high side, would it not be recommended to use a slightly thicker oil ?

I also think 3000 miles might be too often for an oil change and that changing it midway between services around the 6000 mile change would be more suitable.

I found this quite an interesting read ....

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Introduction

But then I suppose everone has their own opinion ?

QuoteReply
dos_vovo
post Nov 10 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 19,692
Drives: 1999 S70 NA, 2002 S60 NA

I own and maintain 2 volvos. '99 s70 - 153K, '02 s60 52k. When I first acquired the s70 he had 63k.
I went with the synthetic oil, and what I later found was that I started to get some minor seepage around various gaskets. With some research I found that synthetic is great if you start with a new engine and feed it this chemical. If you switch over - you will find that the first couple oil changes will result in more consumption than usual. And that the synthetic will actually cause "older" "used" gaskets to go brittle and leak.

Since this, I have went with Mobil 5000. This is a natural petroleum product that provides viscosity stability and more importantly, detergent levels that can hold up to 5000 miles between changes.
With the mileage I drive this has became more practical. I now run this on both my vovos.

But the more important item in all this is the filter. If you run extended mileage chemicals then the filter must be able to standup to the extra duty. With the s60 - MANN filers.

dos_vovo
roho '99 s70 153k
blanco '02 s60 52k

QuoteReply
Volvo Virgin
post Nov 10 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #11

Expert

Hi dos_vovo, I had a search for the Mobil High Milage and Clean 5000/7500 etc. but i'm not sure if I could get that range of Mobil Oils here in the UK.

I couldnt make out if they met the Volvo specifications in the handbook either as mine only lists ACEA oil grades (A1/A3/B1)

Interesting about the gaskets though.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Best Replacement For S60 R Design Continental Contact3 Tires?
Replacement suggestions?
0 BSE1956 90 11th October 2014 - 10:33 AM
Last post by: BSE1956
No New Posts What Year Was It Last Year?
1 daveej 511 8th August 2014 - 05:28 PM
Last post by: cloudbase
No New Posts Oil And Smoke
I get a lot of oil and smoke.
1 Octa Gog 339 1st July 2014 - 07:01 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Oil Pan
How to remove
0 Fernando 395 3rd April 2014 - 07:28 AM
Last post by: Fernando
No New Posts Torque Converter Lockup
5 williala 892 1st April 2014 - 11:51 PM
Last post by: williala

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 12:04 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement