Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Volvo S60 Awd Clicking Noise In Passenger Door, electrical problem?
begler
post Oct 26 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,613
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60 AWD

I have a 2002 volvo s60 AWD and recently I noticed a clicking noise in the passenger door. It would only occur during the first five minutes of driving, then it would go away. Now it is more like 15 mins and more rapid but eventually it goes away. While the clicking occurs, the power window, power mirror, locks on that door are inoperable. Everything else in the car is ok. When the noise stops, everything on the door works fine. Is it a relay problem? Is it something I can fix or should I go to the dealer?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
volvo_kris
post Oct 27 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,368
Drives: V70

Hi, there is a passenger door module that controls the window & locks. The module has relays inside which click on/off when they get power. It maybe that you have a poor power connection to the module.

QuoteReply
Gogigboy
post Oct 27 2006, 06:39 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,456
Drives: Volvo S60 SE D5

I have the same car but not AWD, I've got the same problem, I think its when the weather is cold, it was clicking for 15 minutes this morning, it was 8 c outside.
I put a message on here last week and just seen the reply, I will try later, I hope it is of some use to you.

you could try the infamous UEM reset which has already been posted on the same forum...

- Close all of the doors and bonnet.
- Key in position II engine not running.
- Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the windows are closed.
- Release buttons.
- Remove the ignition key.
- Operated the remote twice. lock/unlock lock/unlock.

This will reset the UEM brain. This can correct faulty operation of the sunroof and/or erratic door lock function.

its worked well for a few people..

QuoteReply
begler
post Oct 27 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #4

How can I access the passenger door module easily? Or should I leave it to the dealers? If it's a matter of a few screws, I can look at it but I don't want to potentially damage the door upholstery. Is it something where you need some special tools? (BTW, I tried the UEM reset to no avail. )

QuoteReply
begler
post Oct 31 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #5

OK, the plot thickens. The problem only occurs when the temperature drops below 68 degrees F. When the temperature rises above, everything is OK. In fact, if I leave the car out in the sunshine, when I start the car there is no clicking and everything works. When I start the car in the morning when it is cooler, the clicking will persist. And get this, when the temperature is below 68 degrees F, the dashboard displays dashes instead of the temperature i.e. --F . When the temperature reaches 68F it displays 68F and so on for above temperatures. So the temperature gauge is included in this situation somehow. Any ideas now? Weird stuff.

QuoteReply
Gogigboy
post Oct 31 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,456
Drives: Volvo S60 SE D5

Obvioulsy a common fault.
To access the module, pop the plastic off the door handle and find two screws (Hex) then you will finda around the panel round plastic clips. Push the centre of them with a screwdriver until they pop in then the panel should lift off. When replacing the panel, make sure the centre of the clips a sticking outwards, push them through the panel into the whole then push the centre of the clips in and they should lock.

QuoteReply
sl33stak
post Jan 19 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 51,304
Drives: 2001 S60

QUOTE (begler @ Oct 31 2006, 10:01 AM)
OK, the plot thickens. The problem only occurs when the temperature drops below 68 degrees F. When the temperature rises above, everything is OK. In fact, if I leave the car out in the sunshine, when I start the car there is no clicking and everything works. When I start the car in the morning when it is cooler, the clicking will persist. And get this, when the temperature is below 68 degrees F, the dashboard displays dashes instead of the temperature i.e. --F . When the temperature reaches 68F it displays 68F and so on for above temperatures. So the temperature gauge is included in this situation somehow. Any ideas now? Weird stuff.

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM in my wifes 2001 S60!!!! Once the we run the car (for almost an hour in the winter) the clicking stops. But until then, no control over passenger side window,lock,or interior map lights, or moonroof. Our temperature display also reads --- until the clicking stops.

Did the UEM reset work for you?

QuoteReply
begler
post Feb 3 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (sl33stak @ Jan 19 2009, 08:21 PM)
I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM in my wifes 2001 S60!!!! Once the we run the car (for almost an hour in the winter) the clicking stops. But until then, no control over passenger side window,lock,or interior map lights, or moonroof. Our temperature display also reads --- until the clicking stops.

Did the UEM reset work for you?

No it did not. I had to get the faulty electrical relay in the door replaced. Cost $100 at the dealer. Sorry about that.

QuoteReply
Desolator
post Nov 2 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 75,693
Drives: Volvo S70

QUOTE (begler @ Feb 3 2009, 09:25 PM)
No it did not. I had to get the faulty electrical relay in the door replaced. Cost $100 at the dealer. Sorry about that.

Hi
do you mind telling me what relay , there are no relays in the driver door.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo 960 Auto Not Starting...?
1 bemshawn 34 24th November 2014 - 05:09 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo Xc90 Bluetooth Android Usb Car Kit
It is official - Volvo XC90 all get GROMified!
9 GROM Audio 2,852 10th November 2014 - 05:00 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio
No New Posts Volvo?
Why Volvo?
0 supero 347 23rd September 2014 - 08:33 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsDoor Card/a Pillar/headliner Deterioration Solution!
how to repair for under $50
0 William47 143 21st September 2014 - 06:21 PM
Last post by: William47
No New Posts Volvo V40 T4 - Knob Safety Lock
5 KONE 1,484 15th September 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: masud ali

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 10:57 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement