Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Power Steering Failure On Xc60, Bad experience
GegeXC60
post Dec 10 2012, 06:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,446
Drives: XC60 D5 AWD XENIUM

We have an XC60 D5 AWD Xenium all "security" options of january 2012. There was a first bad defect with the engine which had to have the cylinder head replaced at 2500 km. But even worse, at about 6000 km, we had a sudden power steering failure right in the middle of a cross roads, big fright, no accident by magic. Volvo France wrote us that this is due to a "common place" alternator failure and that there is nothing to do but change the alternator. How can Volvo claim that a "common place" failure, be it of the alternator or other, can cause a power steering failure? Is it safe to have sudden power steering failure while driving a nearly 2t car? How can they still pretend they care about their cars being safe? We asked for a judiciary expertise, but Volvo lawyer is making any possible obstruction to it. Would someone have similar experience, with or without accident, and indicate what Volvo says in other countries ?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Dec 10 2012, 07:44 AM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

I could understand if the alternator drive belt failed as that drives the power steering pump also, I have had that happen (at a lot higher mileage)certain types of alternator failure might also stop the drive belt working, but that said although the steering becomes very heavy (more so at slow speeds) at no point have I found the car uncontrollable (just hard work) caught by surprise it can seem as if it has stuck but you just need to use more effort.
Grendel

QuoteReply
GegeXC60
post Dec 10 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 113,446
Drives: XC60 D5 AWD XENIUM

thanks for your answer, the belt was fine when the car was towed to Volvo garage. If the steering becomes very heavy for you, I do not know how strong you are, for my wife, the steering was like stuck. It is not clear that she would have time to react if this happened on a small mountain road. When I came to take the car, it was not possible to only consider driving it (anyway the engine was also intermittently down at the same time).
Gerard

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC60 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Xc60 - 2010 - Water Leaks
Water leaks in 2010 XC60
6 Wet feet 802 22nd December 2013 - 12:49 PM
Last post by: Thanosgr
No New Posts Power Steering Fluid
WSS M2C204-A
2 Begibbs1 725 27th November 2013 - 07:49 AM
Last post by: Begibbs1
No New Posts Steering Wheel Trim Differences
1 vlvwagon 231 18th November 2013 - 03:03 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts Xc60 44k T6 With Roof Leak
New purchase questions
3 c_hill 1,507 10th November 2013 - 07:33 PM
Last post by: Wet feet
No New Posts Only Runs Cold
1985 240 GL (B230E)
4 BucJohn 315 10th October 2013 - 07:43 PM
Last post by: BucJohn

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 12:36 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement