Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Volvo 240 Dl Pushing White Smoke
brookemarie
post Dec 13 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,511
Drives: 1990 Volvo 240 DL

Hi,

My 1990 Volvo 240 DL is pushing lots of white smoke on start up, which I guess is a little normal, but it's a lot and pretty billowy. It does lessen as the car warms up but doesn't go away completely. Does anyone know what this might mean? Any advice would be appreciated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
robert240
post Dec 13 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 30,857
Drives: 86 240

Check the coolant level - worst case is a bad head gasket, and coolant is being combusted

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 13 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #3

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (brookemarie @ Dec 13 2012, 02:52 PM)
Hi,

My 1990 Volvo 240 DL is pushing lots of white smoke on start up, which I guess is a little normal, but it's a lot and pretty billowy. It does lessen as the car warms up but doesn't go away completely. Does anyone know what this might mean? Any advice would be appreciated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thank you!

check the crankcase breather may need cleaned, and check your air filter may be dirty,does the smoke smell of water, check your expansion bottle any gunge shown and check your oil dip stick for the gunge. oil and water mix.

QuoteReply
drewdle
post Dec 15 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 76,812
Drives: 1989 240 DL

QUOTE (brookemarie @ Dec 13 2012, 02:52 PM)
Hi,

Thank you!

Best case scenario: is it cold and damp where you live, Brooke? I live on the West Coast and it's been cold (3C) and damp at night. In the morning, my 240 billows white smoke until it's been running about five minutes. In my case, the breather and the coolant levels are just fine, it's just that condensation forms in the exhaust from the weather and thus gets turned to steam when the car is started and warmed up.

Just thought I'd throw that out there too. It is rather comical to be stopped at the traffic light outside my house as my car warms up, as the cloud practically envelopes the car. Gives passer-by something to look at.

QuoteReply
brookemarie
post Dec 28 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 113,511
Drives: 1990 Volvo 240 DL

QUOTE (drewdle @ Dec 15 2012, 05:45 PM)
Best case scenario: is it cold and damp where you live, Brooke? I live on the West Coast and it's been cold (3C) and damp at night. In the morning, my 240 billows white smoke until it's been running about five minutes. In my case, the breather and the coolant levels are just fine, it's just that condensation forms in the exhaust from the weather and thus gets turned to steam when the car is started and warmed up.

Just thought I'd throw that out there too. It is rather comical to be stopped at the traffic light outside my house as my car warms up, as the cloud practically envelopes the car. Gives passer-by something to look at.

Well, I've thought of that too. I live in Shawnigan Lake so it is cold and damp...but the smoke is so dang thick! And it's a little smelly too. Not blue though. And yes, I do get enveloped in smoke at stop lights...not always, but it's kind of embarrassing!

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 29 2012, 04:11 AM
Post #6

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (brookemarie @ Dec 28 2012, 11:39 PM)
Well, I've thought of that too. I live in Shawnigan Lake so it is cold and damp...but the smoke is so dang thick! And it's a little smelly too. Not blue though. And yes, I do get enveloped in smoke at stop lights...not always, but it's kind of embarrassing!

do a compression test that will check if your head gasket is leaking ,letting water in the head.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo Show On April 6th, Davis, Ca
1 GROM Audio 64 7th April 2014 - 06:16 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsSmoke From The Engine
5 mong man 68 6th April 2014 - 07:26 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo Satisfaction Down Under
Happy Owner in Oz
0 Platypup 42 1st April 2014 - 10:32 PM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Volvo Parts - Australia
2 voluto.com.au 369 24th March 2014 - 09:11 PM
Last post by: voluto.com.au
No New Posts Topic has attachments240 Wagon Just Purchased - Wheel Upgrade?
New Member Intro
3 wiffies 316 9th March 2014 - 01:39 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:05 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement