Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 850r Transmission Trouble, shift light flash and now no start....
bigape73
post Oct 15 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 111,879
Drives: 1996 volvo 850r wagon, 1974 chevy blazer, 2006 mustang gt

I purchased a 1996 850r wagon about a year ago, she has some minor issues and most have been fixed but on my way home the shift arrow started flashing as well as the winter drive light, shut the car off at the store with the intention of looking at it when I got home... car will not start now... cranks over fine but wont light... I dont have access to a reader until next week when it gets returned to me... any suggestions as to places to look until then...

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
freshstunnaboy
post Oct 17 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 50,473
Drives: 1993 volvo 850 glt

Does it crank? If it doesn't even crank then it might be the neutral safety switch.
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6217/113781...se-light-switch

My light flashes also. But it still starts though. Another symptom of a bad neutral safety switch is sometimes not downshifting to first or second. ie. you stop at a light. When you hit the gas the transmission is still in third gear so it takes a very long to speed up. It might be second that it goes down to i'm not 100% on that. It's because the switch will sometimes go into winter mode. Winter mode doesn't allow the transmission to downshift to first or second. This helps you get going from a standstill on ice or slippery surface with less wheel spin. Good on ice but annoying in the summer.

This post has been edited by freshstunnaboy: Oct 17 2012, 03:17 PM

QuoteReply
bigape73
post Oct 19 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (freshstunnaboy @ Oct 17 2012, 04:16 PM)
Does it crank? If it doesn't even crank then it might be the neutral safety switch.
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6217/113781...se-light-switch

My light flashes also. But it still starts though. Another symptom of a bad neutral safety switch is sometimes not downshifting to first or second. ie. you stop at a light. When you hit the gas the transmission is still in third gear so it takes a very long to speed up. It might be second that it goes down to i'm not 100% on that. It's because the switch will sometimes go into winter mode. Winter mode doesn't allow the transmission to downshift to first or second. This helps you get going from a standstill on ice or slippery surface with less wheel spin. Good on ice but annoying in the summer.

Thanks for responding,

The car cranks good but does not start, doesnt have any spark. I got the code reader today and will check it out tonight. Hopefully it will tell me what is wrong. I will post what I find out and what the fix is...

QuoteReply
freshstunnaboy
post Oct 21 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #4

Senior

Member No.: 50,473
Drives: 1993 volvo 850 glt

Check to see if your getting spark from the coil. If your not getting any from the coil, then it might be your camshaft position sensor. Exact same thing happened to my car. No spark from the coil, replaced the cam sensor and it fired right up. The camshaft position sensor is what tells the computer when to send spark to the ignition coil, and the crankshaft sensor tells the computer when to activate the fuel injectors.
Note: The cam sensor is located on the end of the exhaust camshaft.

This post has been edited by freshstunnaboy: Oct 21 2012, 12:24 AM

QuoteReply
bigape73
post Nov 19 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #5

[quote name='freshstunnaboy' date='Oct 21 2012, 01:18 AM' post='147560']
Check to see if your getting spark from the coil. If your not getting any from the coil, then it might be your camshaft position sensor. Exact same thing happened to my car. No spark from the coil, replaced the cam sensor and it fired right up. The camshaft position sensor is what tells the computer when to send spark to the ignition coil, and the crankshaft sensor tells the computer when to activate the fuel injectors.
Note: The cam sensor is located on the end of the exhaust camshaft.
[/quote

Codes were throttle position sensor and a temp sensor were bad... replaced both and nothing... I will check the cam sensor this weekend... Thanks for the info...

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 20 2012, 12:05 AM
Post #6

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (bigape73 @ Oct 15 2012, 08:58 PM)
I purchased a 1996 850r wagon about a year ago, she has some minor issues and most have been fixed but on my way home the shift arrow started flashing as well as the winter drive light, shut the car off at the store with the intention of looking at it when I got home... car will not start now... cranks over fine but wont light... I dont have access to a reader until next week when it gets returned to me... any suggestions as to places to look until then...

Thanks

check down the left hand side of the gear stick, for a torn bush , as that moves your switch down there.

QuoteReply
blackcomb
post Nov 29 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 112,344
Drives: Volvo 850 GLE 1995

Happened to me today too, though engine starts (had my fair share of failure there already twice, expensive fixes, not good having recently purchased the car!!).

I was told by a volvo mechanic it was that switch too. In my case it is the flashing arrow light and at first my fuel gauge went off, thankfully next time I drove the car it was working as per normal.

But now I am to take this ruddy car to the garage (again) tomorrow for this fix and am seriously considering trading it in instead, is it worth the hassle and expense?? I think not.

Sounds like a problem car to me, only ever owned a problem car once in the past, am not willing to repeat that experience, it's wiped me out already now I can't afford another fix! cars are not worth this much hassle, sorry this car is not.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Dec 15 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #8

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (blackcomb @ Nov 29 2012, 08:31 PM)
Happened to me today too, though engine starts (had my fair share of failure there already twice, expensive fixes, not good having recently purchased the car!!).

I was told by a volvo mechanic it was that switch too. In my case it is the flashing arrow light and at first my fuel gauge went off, thankfully next time I drove the car it was working as per normal.

But now I am to take this ruddy car to the garage (again) tomorrow for this fix and am seriously considering trading it in instead, is it worth the hassle and expense?? I think not.

Sounds like a problem car to me, only ever owned a problem car once in the past, am not willing to repeat that experience, it's wiped me out already now I can't afford another fix! cars are not worth this much hassle, sorry this car is not.

Did you pull the engine codes? If not do that.

I have a GLE just like yours, maybe I can help.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Pinned: Troubleshooting Guide To Volvo 240 No-starts And Stalls
13 robert240 29,936 22nd March 2014 - 04:20 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Transmission Issue (error Code Tcm002c)
Volvo S80 2.0 Turbo
5 sonic3 662 26th November 2013 - 07:25 PM
Last post by: pkrface
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsTransmission Problems With My First 240
2 245buster 468 17th July 2013 - 11:10 AM
Last post by: SykO
No New Posts Transmission Interchange?
What transmissions can be made to work in a 2002 v70xc?
1 rickn540 1,514 17th April 2013 - 07:30 PM
Last post by: sailor1065
No New Posts Trouble With Electrics Since Snow/jump Start
1 Crockett77 319 3rd March 2013 - 02:02 AM
Last post by: Platypup

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 07:12 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement