Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Suspension Noise First Quarter Mile Of Driving, Front right suspension noise that disappears after first quarter mile
bigbasinguy
post Nov 14 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,348
Drives: 2005 S60 T5

I have a 2005 S60 T5 with an R series engine. It has developed a loud right front suspension noise, like a loose clanging part, that is only present when I go over bumps for about the first quarter of a mile of driving first thing in the morning. When I park the car during the day and let it sit, noise does not seem to reappear. Is there some type of multi-valve system in the strut cartridge that could have failed and account for this? I inspected the strut and see no external signs of oil, but the accordion boot does not appear to be fastened at the bottom end to the cartridge (appears the same on both sides) and I can see the exposed stainless steel shaft of the cartridge on the jacked up side. Is this normal or should the boots be fastened to the cartridge? I see nothing else suspicious when inspecting the front end. Any thoughts on what might be producing the noise will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
draser
post Nov 15 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 94,352
Drives: 2005 S60

It does sound like a bad shock - do you have the active chassis system? I believe the active chassis controls the shocks in some way, so there are valves, tubing, fluid reservoir, etc to look at.

QuoteReply
bigbasinguy
post Nov 19 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 39,348
Drives: 2005 S60 T5

Thanks for your reply draser. No I don't have the active suspension. Most of the mystery has now been solved. My mechanic found a bad strut mount and resulting damaged strut cartridge. Mounts, bushings and cartridges have been replaced. Replaced the sway bar links as well and now the noise that was present for only the first half a mile of driving in the morning is gone and the lower frequency thump over bumps is significantly dampened/reduced.

QuoteReply
meaningofsoul
post Jan 15 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,928
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60

QUOTE (bigbasinguy @ Nov 19 2012, 06:50 PM)
Thanks for your reply draser. No I don't have the active suspension. Most of the mystery has now been solved. My mechanic found a bad strut mount and resulting damaged strut cartridge. Mounts, bushings and cartridges have been replaced. Replaced the sway bar links as well and now the noise that was present for only the first half a mile of driving in the morning is gone and the lower frequency thump over bumps is significantly dampened/reduced.

I'm experiencing similar issues but I think I have severe suspension issues because the knocking/clanking/creeking is full-time. How much did it cost to replace all those front suspension items?

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts First Volvo, 88 240 Dl Wagon
3 Hylekilton 701 15th December 2013 - 09:44 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Off Topic
9 wilsco 985 14th May 2013 - 09:55 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Noise?
after veh turned off
7 supero 1,554 26th March 2013 - 10:03 AM
Last post by: pfgym5
No New Posts Noise At Acceleration
noise at shift, acceleration, deceleration
3 vbertone 1,928 9th February 2013 - 05:34 PM
Last post by: PugMomFlower
No New Posts Offside Light Cluster
head light glass all misted up
0 nutrunner 418 5th February 2013 - 04:28 AM
Last post by: nutrunner

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 12:16 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement