Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Anyone Changing Their Transmission Fluid?
iridium130m
post Jun 8 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,573
Drives: 2008 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

Before I made the final decision to purchase my 2008 S80 T6 AWD, i checked with the dealer and was told that the transmission fluid is meant for the life of the vehicle and is not to be changed. I am really struggling with this as I approach 50K miles and have experienced some harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shifts multiple times. My instinct tells me to change the fluid pronto (i've already flushed out the power steering due to some whine), especially since 1: where i live and the car has lived in the midwest with 100+ degree F summers and zero degree F winters, and 2, I like the turbo, yes, i like it a lot, and don't mind using it.

So is anyone out there changing their tranny fluid anyways? If so what are you using for fluid if you are? I can't imagine going 60K plus miles on the same fluid, let alone 100K plus that I plan on keeping the car.

Thanks in advance,
jason
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jun 9 2011, 05:43 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (iridium130m @ Jun 8 2011, 10:43 PM)
Before I made the final decision to purchase my 2008 S80 T6 AWD, i checked with the dealer and was told that the transmission fluid is meant for the life of the vehicle and is not to be changed. I am really struggling with this as I approach 50K miles and have experienced some harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shifts multiple times. My instinct tells me to change the fluid pronto (i've already flushed out the power steering due to some whine), especially since 1: where i live and the car has lived in the midwest with 100+ degree F summers and zero degree F winters, and 2, I like the turbo, yes, i like it a lot, and don't mind using it.

So is anyone out there changing their tranny fluid anyways? If so what are you using for fluid if you are? I can't imagine going 60K plus miles on the same fluid, let alone 100K plus that I plan on keeping the car.

Thanks in advance,
jason

yes you change the fluid,if brown or black, should be pink .

QuoteReply
Ed Carden
post Jun 1 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 94,596
Drives: Volvo XC() T6 AWD

I bought a 2007 S80 with 50K miles and did the transmission flush with 52,000 miles. I did see a slight drop in mileage after the fact, but I'd prefer that than have to replace the transmission because of a failure like with my xc90.

QuoteReply
Paul Hahn
post Nov 8 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 96,889
Drives: 2007 S80 32 FWD

I bought a 2007 3.2 with 40k miles and now at 52k I decided to change the tranny fluid. I decided to use Red Line D4 synthetic ATF, which meets the 3309 spec required for the Aisin Warner transmission. I don't buy into the "lifetime" fluid idea. My owner's manual says it doesn't need to be changed unless you drive it hard in harsh conditions or tow a trailer. I could not get the 7 quarts to drain thru the drain plug, the very large snap ring retained cover, and the pan. I opened all three and got less than 4 quarts. I plan on using just the drain plug and measuring the extracted fluid then return the same amount of new. I'll do this every time I take the skid plate of the car. It was very challenging to get that large spring loaded cover (held in place by snap ring)back in place. The oil pan (vertical on front of tranny) leaked I hired a mechanic to completely remove it and apply new sealant so I won't be messing with that again. I realize that there will always be some old fluid in the tranny, but what the hay? It's good for a lifetime right?

QuoteReply
Paul Hahn
post Nov 22 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 96,889
Drives: 2007 S80 32 FWD

Where is the level plug on the Aisin Warner 5 speed automatic transmission? I would expect to find it on the side of the unit but I don't see one. This transmission has no dipstick so the correct level of fluid might be determined by removing the fill plug and the level plug and then adding fluid until it just starts to flow out of the level plug. Anyone got any tips?

QuoteReply
Rig Doctor
post Jun 10 2013, 06:48 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 115,876
Drives: 2007 S80 AWD / 2013 XC60

Im not one for the lifetime oil either. I was aliitle nevous after I changed it due to some slightly differant shift point and a harsher shift but all was normal within 2weeks

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2007+) S80 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Anyone From Melbourne
S40's
7 PLANT 2,537 25th June 2014 - 06:37 AM
Last post by: bubblecup
No New Posts Transmission Issue (error Code Tcm002c)
Volvo S80 2.0 Turbo
5 sonic3 936 26th November 2013 - 07:25 PM
Last post by: pkrface
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsChanging Your Cabin Air Filter
7 Shoyuuuu 8,992 17th November 2013 - 09:26 AM
Last post by: penlidus
No New Posts Anyone Replaced Eps? (power Steering) S40n -06
0 Orfeous 285 6th November 2013 - 06:36 PM
Last post by: Orfeous
No New Posts Anyone Tried These Lights...
0 jason su 245 29th October 2013 - 05:33 AM
Last post by: jason su

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 02:48 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement