Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Please Help Me With My 240glt, Oil and idle problems
benjt28
post Nov 13 2012, 01:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 112,717
Drives: volvo 240 GLT

hello everyone, completely new to the forum, and in need of a fair bit of help. i purchased the 240 about 3-4months ago, was running well until now, i went for a 40 mile round trip got back and oil was seriously leaking from what seems the rear of the engine -bulk head side. after a fair bit of research i changed a very oily and gunky flame trap, i've then cleaned the breather nut on the manifold and cleaned as best as i can, i've been told it could have put alot of pressure on the crankshaft, and hence the rear seal may be blown? however the oil only leaks when its up to temperature. this is quite hard to do as the car is struggling to idle. starts fine but eventually cuts out after shaking a hell of a lot to then eventually cut out. again however when its up to temperature it runs perfectly fine? if anyone has any ideas i would be so greatly appreciative on any help. many thanks! benj (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
robert240
post Nov 13 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 30,857
Drives: 86 240

What year and how much oil? Sometimes it can be the black plastic cam plug in the back of the head ...

QuoteReply
benjt28
post Nov 14 2012, 04:42 PM
Post #3

don't know an exact amount but probably 2-3 litres, and its an '89, 2.3? thanks for the reply!

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 14 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (benjt28 @ Nov 13 2012, 02:04 PM)
hello everyone, completely new to the forum, and in need of a fair bit of help. i purchased the 240 about 3-4months ago, was running well until now, i went for a 40 mile round trip got back and oil was seriously leaking from what seems the rear of the engine -bulk head side. after a fair bit of research i changed a very oily and gunky flame trap, i've then cleaned the breather nut on the manifold and cleaned as best as i can, i've been told it could have put alot of pressure on the crankshaft, and hence the rear seal may be blown? however the oil only leaks when its up to temperature. this is quite hard to do as the car is struggling to idle. starts fine but eventually cuts out after shaking a hell of a lot to then eventually cut out. again however when its up to temperature it runs perfectly fine? if anyone has any ideas i would be so greatly appreciative on any help. many thanks! benj (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

the fact it says your car is a GLT take it this has a turbo, then it has an inter cooler, in front of your radiator, so remove the two large rubber hoses each side of the inter cooler,now remove the two brackets holding it on , now push forward your radiator and lift out the inter cooler, pour out the oil and water mix,found it it, now pour in a degreeser into it, and let it sit about an hour,then pour out , now pour in boiling hot water, in to it,the pour that out, now refit.

QuoteReply
benjt28
post Nov 15 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Nov 14 2012, 10:17 PM)
the fact it says your car is a GLT take it this has a turbo, then it has an inter cooler, in front of your radiator, so remove the two large rubber hoses each side of the inter cooler,now remove the two brackets holding it on , now push forward your radiator and lift out the inter cooler, pour out the oil and water mix,found it it, now pour in a degreeser into it, and let it sit about an hour,then pour out , now pour in boiling hot water, in to it,the pour that out, now refit.

sadly the car doesn't have a turbo, i'm completely stuck, thanks though!

QuoteReply
draser
post Nov 16 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #6

Senior

Member No.: 94,352
Drives: 2005 S60

You need to fix the idle issue - try cleaning the idle control valve with some carb cleaner. The oil leak - make sure you don't have positive pressure in the crankcase - remove the oil cap while it's running and put a rubber glove on top, make sure you hold on to it. If it gets sucked in you're good, otherwise you have to much pressure, which forces the oil out at the seals. If you pass this test, you still may have a bad oil seal. Try to locate if it leaks from the valve cover - top of the engine, or if the top is clean but you still have a leak on the bottom between the oil pan and tranny it's the crank rear seal. Let us know.

QuoteReply
benjt28
post Nov 16 2012, 10:10 AM
Post #7

i shall give it a go! many thanks and i shall let you know of any progress!

QuoteReply
benjt28
post Nov 27 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #8

ok, so i gave it bash, idle is better, still not perfect however i am fairly sure its the rear oil seal, so a friend of mine is picking one up from birmingham for me, sorry to sound like a novice but any help is really appreciated! what tools are needed? any tips? any websites where there any good instructions or anything on how to do and complete the job! really am grateful for your help!

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 28 2012, 12:34 AM
Post #9

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (benjt28 @ Nov 27 2012, 08:28 PM)
ok, so i gave it bash, idle is better, still not perfect however i am fairly sure its the rear oil seal, so a friend of mine is picking one up from birmingham for me, sorry to sound like a novice but any help is really appreciated! what tools are needed? any tips? any websites where there any good instructions or anything on how to do and complete the job! really am grateful for your help!

as you have cleaned your idle control valve , now spray carb cleaner, or throttle cleaner into your throttle, open the butterfly by turning the wheel of your throttle, it will be very dirty in there.

QuoteReply
benjt28
post Nov 28 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #10

will get that sorted! many thanks! any tips on the oil seal?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 28 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #11

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (benjt28 @ Nov 28 2012, 03:34 PM)
will get that sorted! many thanks! any tips on the oil seal?

take it you mean the oil is leaking from the cam shaft cover, get a new cam shaft cover gasket , then remove the cover clean off the old gasket ,now you can see the cam shaft,check no dirty oil gunk is found, clean the oil ways ,now fit the gasket, and your cover back on.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Please Help Me Decide Which Vehicle...
0 mamagrigsby 97 25th March 2014 - 08:57 AM
Last post by: mamagrigsby
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsMy Aussie V70 Wagon
0 TylerFunnell 46 21st February 2014 - 01:20 AM
Last post by: TylerFunnell
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsHelp Finding The Camshaft Position Sensor
2 BenBiehl 282 9th February 2014 - 10:34 PM
Last post by: BenBiehl
No new Pinned: My 591 Bhp 854 Project Car
69 volvo500bhp 12,955 18th January 2014 - 07:20 AM
Last post by: martin850r
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsHelp With Failed Smog Check On 1990 240
1 goodgodvolvo 340 30th December 2013 - 06:31 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:10 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement