Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1992 960 Wagon Hesitates Then Klunks Into Gear
Seabiscute
post Nov 23 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,033
Drives: 1992 Volvo 960 wagon

My 1992 960 automatic wagon with 326K miles has started to kind of lurch into low gear, especially from a stop or a rolling stop where I am not giving any gas but not using the brake. Then when I do give it some gas, it doesn't do anything at first, then it klunks into motion, and it seems to me the rpms are pretty high (3K). Once it gets going it seems fine, and it upshifts and downshifts as expected (well, occasionally it klunks changing gears at highway speeds, but it has done that for a long time). Yesterday during the Thanksgiving stop-and-go traffic (more than 100 miles worth) I was so stressed out wondering if it was going to completely die, I could hardly enjoy my turkey afterwards.

I am blessed with a wonderful independent Volvo mechanic and I am due to take it in for a periodic servicing anyway, but now it is the weekend and I can't do that yet, so I thought I would just see if anyone here has ideas or suggestions.

The winter mode arrow indicators have been stuck On for years, by the way, but it has never acted as if it thought it really was in winter mode (where you start up in third). They didn't think it was worth fixing, as it would have been very expensive and wasn't really affecting anything. I don't think my current issue could be that, though -- surely it wouldn't be klunking into gear then?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 23 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Seabiscute @ Nov 23 2012, 05:33 PM)
My 1992 960 automatic wagon with 326K miles has started to kind of lurch into low gear, especially from a stop or a rolling stop where I am not giving any gas but not using the brake. Then when I do give it some gas, it doesn't do anything at first, then it klunks into motion, and it seems to me the rpms are pretty high (3K). Once it gets going it seems fine, and it upshifts and downshifts as expected (well, occasionally it klunks changing gears at highway speeds, but it has done that for a long time). Yesterday during the Thanksgiving stop-and-go traffic (more than 100 miles worth) I was so stressed out wondering if it was going to completely die, I could hardly enjoy my turkey afterwards.

I am blessed with a wonderful independent Volvo mechanic and I am due to take it in for a periodic servicing anyway, but now it is the weekend and I can't do that yet, so I thought I would just see if anyone here has ideas or suggestions.

The winter mode arrow indicators have been stuck On for years, by the way, but it has never acted as if it thought it really was in winter mode (where you start up in third). They didn't think it was worth fixing, as it would have been very expensive and wasn't really affecting anything. I don't think my current issue could be that, though -- surely it wouldn't be klunking into gear then?

check your transmission fluid, it can be low,if so top up,but check the colour of the fluid, if brown or black , then do a gearbox flush,as dirty fluid can stick your valves in the gearbox, just google how to do this.

QuoteReply
Seabiscute
post Nov 23 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #3

Thank you, I will do that.

QuoteReply
Seabiscute
post Nov 24 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #4

Oops, I went to try and check the fluid as was earlier recommended, but I don't know where the orifice or dipstick are! And surprisingly my owner's manual does not mention it -- does not show them in any under-the-hood illustrations (where they show other things of that sort). Nor is transmission maintenance or fluid mentioned in the chapters where they discuss other things of that nature, such as power steering and brake fluid, etc.

Am I just not supposed to worry my pretty little head about it? Admittedly, I have not been automotively hands on since my 1973 Chevy Nova, but now there is no one in the household to handle this sort of thing anymore. (Although, I don't think I messed with transmission fluid on that car, either -- every other kind of fluid, however. And it was kind of exciting when I set the air filter on fire with too much ether spray into the carbureter one time in the winter!)

Hope someone can help me out! Thank you.

BTW I did google it but I am afraid I did not get much worthwhile.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 1992 245 - Speedometer Issues.
Don't know what to do next after trying all the previous suggestio
5 RES94025 318 1st August 2014 - 04:23 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts 960 Won't Crank -- Sometimes
What is making my car not start, sometimes?
0 Seabiscute 304 20th May 2014 - 11:26 AM
Last post by: Seabiscute
No New Posts 1992 740t Won't Start
3 flyingsteelman 812 20th March 2014 - 04:51 PM
No New Posts 1992 960 Steering Moaning Noise, Juddering At Low Speed
4 Seabiscute 984 31st August 2013 - 09:32 AM
Last post by: Seabiscute
No New Posts Gear Box Is Jerks
1 andruxc90 633 15th August 2013 - 04:36 PM

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 10:45 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement