Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1994 850 Turbo Error Codes
jcekala
post Dec 16 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,563
Drives: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo

Hello all,

I am trying to fix my 1994 850 Volvo Turbo, and have just this afternoon pulled the codes. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about these errors. While looking over them, do you see any errors that piggy-back off the others? Perhaps replacing one part could knock out several errors?

Also, I'm surprised to find that I received no errors regarding my transmission. I say this because while shifting into different gears, I encounter startling jumps that I thought were foreshadowing a transmission issue. For example, when I am in park, I have to have my foot on the break for about 3-4 seconds, with the car on (of course), before I bring it into reverse. If I don't, the car does a scary jerking movement. The same will happen when I go into drive from reverse - I need to sit there for about 3-4 seconds with no movement, then push it into the new gear. Thoughts?

This is my first Volvo so I may be experiencing normal characteristics for the car, just not realizing it. While it feels great to own this European machinery outright, fixing it is a daunting task.

Sorry - last question. Do any of these errors scream, "FIX ME OR I'M GONNA DIE TOMORROW!"?? I don't want to kill this sweet little car.

Volvo Codes: December 2012

* A5: TRANSMISSION CONTROL, A6: IGNITION SYSTEM; B1: CLIMATE CONTROL & B6: POWER SEAT didn’t work/show any codes
**B3 & B7 had no connections

A1: TRANSMISSION: CLEAR

A2: FUEL SYSTEM
535 TC Control Valve
232 Idling
414 Boost Pressure

A3: ABS
214 Right Wheel Sensor
141 Petal Signal Faulty
142 Stop Lamp Switch Faulty
444 Power to Hydraulics (note: we have replaced the fuel pump, and the car no longer stops and dies for no reason, then starting up whenever it feels like it - thank goodness. Does that mean this particular code may not be relevant anymore?)
213 Left Wheel Sensor

A7: COMBINE INSTUMENT
113 Fuel Gauge Open Circuit
122 Temp Sensor Too Long
231 Ventilation Damper Sensor Open
132 No RPM Signal

B2: CRUISE CONTROL
122 Speed has not exceeded 22 MPH or no speed signal

B5: SRS: CLEAR

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Dec 17 2012, 06:01 AM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

at a guess the cruise control may get its speed signal from the same source as the abs, as that self tests at 22mph, so that may be from the right or left wheel sensor. 444 on abs is when it loses electrical power, so may have been caused by the engine dying.
I'm also wondering if the transmission get a signal when the wheels are stopped from the abs sensors, this might explain the delay from forward to reverse, while it looks for a stopped signal and waits 3-4 secs for a timeout.
Grendel

QuoteReply
jcekala
post Jan 28 2013, 07:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 113,563
Drives: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo

QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Dec 17 2012, 05:01 AM)
at a guess the cruise control may get its speed signal from the same source as the abs, as that self tests at 22mph, so that may be from the right or left wheel sensor. 444 on abs is when it loses electrical power, so may have been caused by the engine dying.
I'm also wondering if the transmission get a signal when the wheels are stopped from the abs sensors, this might explain the delay from forward to reverse, while it looks for a stopped signal and waits 3-4 secs for a timeout.
Grendel

Grendel,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am hopeful that this code does depend on the need to replace the ABS sensors. I have looked into replacing them - they aren't the most expensive item I will be needing, but it is still a hard pill to swallow. I'm enjoying fixing this car up and I hope to replace these bigger items soon.

Again, thank you for your help,
Jenn

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Jan 29 2013, 07:30 AM
Post #4

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

ABs sensors, if you unplug the connector you can check the resistance, if you dont get a circuit the sensor is dead, if you rotate the wheel the resistance will pulse. you dont have to take them out to check them, the front ones unplug at the sensor, the rear ones have a common plug near the access panel for the fueltank, thewiring back to the abs unit can be checked once the sensors have been plugged back in, at the plug end by the abs unit.
Grendel

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Jan 30 2013, 03:07 AM
Post #5

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (jcekala @ Dec 16 2012, 04:31 PM)
Hello all,

I am trying to fix my 1994 850 Volvo Turbo, and have just this afternoon pulled the codes. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about these errors. While looking over them, do you see any errors that piggy-back off the others? Perhaps replacing one part could knock out several errors?

Also, I'm surprised to find that I received no errors regarding my transmission. I say this because while shifting into different gears, I encounter startling jumps that I thought were foreshadowing a transmission issue. For example, when I am in park, I have to have my foot on the break for about 3-4 seconds, with the car on (of course), before I bring it into reverse. If I don't, the car does a scary jerking movement. The same will happen when I go into drive from reverse - I need to sit there for about 3-4 seconds with no movement, then push it into the new gear. Thoughts?

This is my first Volvo so I may be experiencing normal characteristics for the car, just not realizing it. While it feels great to own this European machinery outright, fixing it is a daunting task.

Sorry - last question. Do any of these errors scream, "FIX ME OR I'M GONNA DIE TOMORROW!"?? I don't want to kill this sweet little car.

Volvo Codes: December 2012

* A5: TRANSMISSION CONTROL, A6: IGNITION SYSTEM; B1: CLIMATE CONTROL & B6: POWER SEAT didn’t work/show any codes
**B3 & B7 had no connections

A1: TRANSMISSION: CLEAR

A2: FUEL SYSTEM
535 TC Control Valve
232 Idling
414 Boost Pressure

214 Right Wheel Sensor
141 Petal Signal Faulty
444 Power to Hydraulics (note: we have replaced the fuel pump, and the car no longer stops and dies for no reason, then starting up whenever it feels like it - thank goodness. Does that mean this particular code may not be relevant anymore?)
213 Left Wheel Sensor

A7: COMBINE INSTUMENT
113 Fuel Gauge Open Circuit
122 Temp Sensor Too Long
231 Ventilation Damper Sensor Open
132 No RPM Signal

B2: CRUISE CONTROL
122 Speed has not exceeded 22 MPH or no speed signal

B5: SRS: CLEAR

Call me I know the issues to these:

214 Right Wheel Sensor
141 Petal Signal Faulty
213 Left Wheel Sensor

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Turbo Adjustment
Auto 850, manual boost control, waste gate adjustment.?
1 Snabblda 201 24th July 2014 - 10:45 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Turbo Charger Failure
3 JohnAnast 595 26th June 2014 - 10:15 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts 1994 N/a Engine Replacement
2 haiewood 392 27th October 2013 - 01:35 PM
Last post by: John Doe
No New Posts 850 Wagon
idel rough very poor excelleration
4 Dwh850Wagon 782 31st August 2013 - 03:13 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts 850 Trip Computer
9 lockett 1,865 13th August 2013 - 06:34 PM
Last post by: CLMossJr

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 11:30 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement