Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Alternator Issue?
Trolddk30097
post Feb 3 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,445
Drives: 1997 Volvo 850

I have a 1997 Volvo 850 2.4L with 120,000 miles on it. After fully charging the battery, it takes about two weeks and the battery is drained or very low even when driving the car. Took the car to Autozone and they checked the battery (good) but said the alternator was only producing 13.07V and 12.7 with load.

Is this definitely a bad alternator and if so, how much would approximately be to replace it? Also, would a re-built alternator be OK to save money?

No other issues with the car as long as I charge the battery every two weeks.

Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Feb 3 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

mine went the other year when I was away on holiday - £500 at a volvo dealership with volvo parts, I would guess you could probably get your existing unit reconditioned a lot cheaper, or a replacement unit at a reasonable price. the funniest bit was they told me afterwards that someone had pulled all the fuses ... how else did they think I made it the 20 odd miles with no alternator, headlight fuses out, radio fuses, anything not essential had the fuse out to reduce the drain on the battery. plus I did tell the repairs dept receptionist when I got there.
Grendel

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Feb 3 2013, 01:58 PM
Post #3

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

ps its probably the brushes or diode pack thats not up to scratch..

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 3 2013, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (Trolddk30097 @ Feb 3 2013, 09:27 AM)
I have a 1997 Volvo 850 2.4L with 120,000 miles on it. After fully charging the battery, it takes about two weeks and the battery is drained or very low even when driving the car. Took the car to Autozone and they checked the battery (good) but said the alternator was only producing 13.07V and 12.7 with load.

Is this definitely a bad alternator and if so, how much would approximately be to replace it? Also, would a re-built alternator be OK to save money?

No other issues with the car as long as I charge the battery every two weeks.

Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What type of driving do you do? Short drives with a lot of stops? Or long steady drive with fewer stops?

Who's battery is in the car now?

Also, check all the strap that ground the battery to the chassis (grey strap from head to body) also the main ground strap.

QuoteReply
Trolddk30097
post Feb 3 2013, 02:10 PM
Post #5

Thank you - not being a car guy.....with the readings and you saying it is the brushes or diode pack....is the remedy to replace the alternator?

Yes, definitely small, frequent trips. However, I took it yesterday for 2*20 mile drives and check the battery right after - very low.

Thanks again to everybody.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 3 2013, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (Trolddk30097 @ Feb 3 2013, 01:10 PM)
Thank you - not being a car guy.....with the readings and you saying it is the brushes or diode pack....is the remedy to replace the alternator?

Yes, definitely small, frequent trips. However, I took it yesterday for 2*20 mile drives and check the battery right after - very low.

Thanks again to everybody.

How old is the battery?

Is it the type of battery that water can be added to? (Does it have removable caps on top?) If so, you should be able to remove them and look in each cell. If the cell is low you can refill it with DISTILLED WATER ONLY..... then close it up.

Do you run the headlight in the daytime?

Since I am not sure of your age or personal things that we all do.

Does the car have a BIG stereo system?

When you charge the battery, do you do it on a fast charge or a trickle charge?

QuoteReply
Trolddk30097
post Feb 3 2013, 03:31 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Feb 3 2013, 03:27 PM)
How old is the battery?

The battery is 15 months old but we put the new battery in because we were having this problem. Therefore, I think the battery is still good.

Is it the type of battery that water can be added to? (Does it have removable caps on top?) If so, you should be able to remove them and look in each cell. If the cell is low you can refill it with DISTILLED WATER ONLY..... then close it up.

You cannot add water to it. This is a standard 750 battery from Advance Auto Parts - told it is fine and was $100.
Do you run the headlight in the daytime?

Do not other than the car has automatic lights on.

Since I am not sure of your age or personal things that we all do.

Does the car have a BIG stereo system?

No, the original - with a casette.....

When you charge the battery, do you do it on a fast charge or a trickle charge?

I use 12V/6A on a charger that I bought at Advance Auto Parts.

Thanks!

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 3 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #8

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

The reason I ask about trickle charger is.

If a battery is charged fast, it causes the battery to swell and this basically burns up the battery to soon.

Did you pull the codes on the car? It may not help, but it also can point out problems that may be leading to this problem.

Remember, not all things throw codes, so just because the check engine light does not come on does not mean nothing is wrong.

You know, you can turn off the "automatic lights" if I am correct.

QuoteReply
Trolddk30097
post Feb 3 2013, 04:24 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Feb 3 2013, 04:21 PM)
The reason I ask about trickle charger is.

If a battery is charged fast, it causes the battery to swell and this basically burns up the battery to soon.

Did you pull the codes on the car? It may not help, but it also can point out problems that may be leading to this problem.

Remember, not all things throw codes, so just because the check engine light does not come on does not mean nothing is wrong.

You know, you can turn off the "automatic lights" if I am correct.

No codes. I guess I will have to have a Volvo mechanic check it out. Any idea how much it is to replace alternator?

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 3 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #10

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (Trolddk30097 @ Feb 3 2013, 03:24 PM)
No codes. I guess I will have to have a Volvo mechanic check it out. Any idea how much it is to replace alternator?

Well, if you go to a dealer, they will want to verify that the alternator is the issue. I bet they charge at least $100.00 per hour, if you live in a large town.

Do you want to shut off the automatic headlight?

That is a rare thing to have.

Do you know what model of engine you have? Do you want to find out what engine it is?

Is it a turbo or not?

If you want you can call me, let me know and I will send you my # in a private message.

QuoteReply
Trolddk30097
post Feb 3 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Feb 3 2013, 05:31 PM)
Well, if you go to a dealer, they will want to verify that the alternator is the issue. I bet they charge at least $100.00 per hour, if you live in a large town.

Do you want to shut off the automatic headlight?

That is a rare thing to have.

Do you know what model of engine you have? Do you want to find out what engine it is?

Is it a turbo or not?

If you want you can call me, let me know and I will send you my # in a private message.

I really appreciate the help - the lights are not really an issue so I am just going to leave them the way they are. No, it is not a turbo but standard 2.4L engine.

I will take it to a local Volvo place (not a dealer) - I am somewhat stuck on the fact that it is the alternator but they can check that. It just seems that is is not charging the battery adequately otherwise driving 40 miles should have done it.

Thanks again

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 3 2013, 05:50 PM
Post #12

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (Trolddk30097 @ Feb 3 2013, 04:37 PM)
I really appreciate the help - the lights are not really an issue so I am just going to leave them the way they are. No, it is not a turbo but standard 2.4L engine.

I will take it to a local Volvo place (not a dealer) - I am somewhat stuck on the fact that it is the alternator but they can check that. It just seems that is is not charging the battery adequately otherwise driving 40 miles should have done it.

Thanks again

The easy way to turn off the light from coming on every time (daylight running light)
Look at the light switch, look close to the right lower corner
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Switch.jpg ( 265.4K ) Number of downloads: 5

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 3 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #13

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (Trolddk30097 @ Feb 3 2013, 04:37 PM)

Thanks again

If you plan on keeping the car, yes have it checked out.

How long have you had the car?

QuoteReply
Trolddk30097
post Feb 3 2013, 07:23 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Feb 3 2013, 05:52 PM)
If you plan on keeping the car, yes have it checked out.

How long have you had the car?

Well, it has been in the family for a long time but I have only had it for 20 months. We will have it checked out - thanks for the tip on the lights - I had no idea you could do that.

Thanks.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 3 2013, 09:17 PM
Post #15

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (Trolddk30097 @ Feb 3 2013, 06:23 PM)
Well, it has been in the family for a long time but I have only had it for 20 months. We will have it checked out - thanks for the tip on the lights - I had no idea you could do that.

Thanks.

Also, find out when the Oil Trap and Flame Trap were serviced last. The easy way to see if the Oil Trap is clogged is to do this: With the engine running at normal temp (3 o'clock) on the temp gauge, raise the hood up... leave the engine running, and pull up the oil dipstick tube about 1 inch. If you see smoke or steam coming from it, that means either the Oil Trap or Flame Trap is becoming restricted.

Do you know when or if the timing belt was changed? It should have been done around 70,000 miles, which means it will be coming up again soon.

QuoteReply
pauloil
post Feb 4 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 66,578
Drives: 99 V70XC, 95 850glt

the first thing you should is voltage drop the cables. I went through two alts on my 850 before figuring out the starter cable was shot. voltage drop is done at 2000rpm with lights on, fan on high, and rear defrost on. then use DVM to measure across each end of the starter cable. if the meter measure more than 0.2V, the cable is going bad. you can test the grounds the same way, only for this, measure batt. voltage first. then hook up good jumper cable from motor to the neg. post on batt. again, if the voltage drop is more than 0.2V. ipdusa sells a nice replacement cable. I have one here for my V70, but have not put it on yet because I still get 13.8 V at the batt. with motor on.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Alternator Issues On 1996 850 T5.
1 STREETFIGHTER50 159 1st February 2013 - 01:32 AM
Last post by: SeaMike
No New Posts Alternator Problem
Charging problem
4 matprat 362 20th January 2013 - 08:32 PM
Last post by: Doogwhan
No New Posts Alternator
XC 70 - 30,000 miles
1 VJV 356 9th October 2012 - 09:03 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Alternator
Discharges
3 ssholland 1,576 3rd September 2012 - 07:14 PM
No New Posts Alternator, Um... Alternating?
3 flyingcheesehead 349 9th August 2012 - 01:59 AM

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 03:33 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement