Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> C70 Passenger Side Door Window, Intermitent Window Problem
XK150
post Jan 13 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,424
Drives: 2002 Volvo C70 Convertible

Good Afternoon,

I have a 2004 C70 convertible... This car has 100K miles and has been great... Just strted having a problem.... the passenger side window started not working... this problem is intermitent... sometimes it works just fine and other times nothing happens when I press the window button either on drivers or passenger side... When the window does work, it operates perfectly without any strange noises.... or issues.

Other windows operate perfectly.... I have noticed, when I shut the passenger door a little hard, the window starts operating again.

Any advice would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jan 13 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (XK150 @ Jan 13 2013, 04:16 PM)
Good Afternoon,

I have a 2004 C70 convertible... This car has 100K miles and has been great... Just strted having a problem.... the passenger side window started not working... this problem is intermitent... sometimes it works just fine and other times nothing happens when I press the window button either on drivers or passenger side... When the window does work, it operates perfectly without any strange noises.... or issues.

Other windows operate perfectly.... I have noticed, when I shut the passenger door a little hard, the window starts operating again.

Any advice would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks

check for broken wires were the door closes .

QuoteReply
Platypup
post Jan 14 2013, 07:23 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 24,285
Drives: Volvo V50 T5 AWD, Toyota RAV4, MG TC, Jaguar E-type

Your dilemma could be caused by the common problem where the electrical connector at the front of the door is developing oxidization of the contact surfaces. Small jolts to the door may be enough to make or break the electrical flow to them door window motor. Faults with the outside temperature reading and functioning of the climate control and locks may also develop due to poor connections in this area. The following link to elsewhere in this forum discusses this problem in some detail and also gives a further link to the Volvo Bulletin showing how to clean the electrical contact surfaces.

http://www.volvo-forums.com/t15593-dual-pr...ternal-temp.htm

QuoteReply
XK150
post Jan 19 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Platypup @ Jan 14 2013, 07:23 AM)
Your dilemma could be caused by the common problem where the electrical connector at the front of the door is developing oxidization of the contact surfaces. Small jolts to the door may be enough to make or break the electrical flow to them door window motor. Faults with the outside temperature reading and functioning of the climate control and locks may also develop due to poor connections in this area. The following link to elsewhere in this forum discusses this problem in some detail and also gives a further link to the Volvo Bulletin showing how to clean the electrical contact surfaces.

http://www.volvo-forums.com/t15593-dual-pr...ternal-temp.htm

Attached File(s)
Attached File  003.JPG ( 888.03K ) Number of downloads: 13

QuoteReply
XK150
post Jan 19 2013, 11:24 AM
Post #5

I wanted to check if the electrical connector for the power windows on drivers side could have corrosion... Have attached a picture of what I think is the plug.. it has a torx screw.

Can someone tell me is this is in fact a connector and how to disconnect it... Is it as simple as removing the torx scres and pulling out.

Attached File  003.JPG ( 888.03K ) Number of downloads: 2

QuoteReply
Platypup
post Jan 20 2013, 02:17 AM
Post #6

Senior

Member No.: 24,285
Drives: Volvo V50 T5 AWD, Toyota RAV4, MG TC, Jaguar E-type

The link I supplied above relates to S40s & V50s manufactured after mid-2004 and the corresponding C70s. Your door connector is the earlier type and I cannot find information about this type. However it is still best to check for poor electrical contact at this point. It appears to pull straight out after removing the securing screws so it would be worth giving this a try.

QuoteReply
XK150
post Jan 21 2013, 09:08 PM
Post #7

The saga continues.. Yesterday, I removed the door panel on the passenger side... I tracked down the wire going to the window motor... Disconnected the connector... and attached my test light... when I activated the window switch the light on the test lead illuminated... so power is going to the motor... but window didn't operate.

Today, the window started operating as normal without any issues... By the way, the other 3 windows have alwasy operated normally... just the passenger side doow window stops working.

What could cause this intermitent issue... is it possible the relay could be bad... When I used my test lead... I only used the light... could I only be getting partial power?

Could the window motor have a dead spot... when it stops on the dead spot it quits working.

Any suggestiong would be most helpful

Thanks

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jan 21 2013, 09:45 PM
Post #8

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (XK150 @ Jan 21 2013, 09:08 PM)
The saga continues.. Yesterday, I removed the door panel on the passenger side... I tracked down the wire going to the window motor... Disconnected the connector... and attached my test light... when I activated the window switch the light on the test lead illuminated... so power is going to the motor... but window didn't operate.

Today, the window started operating as normal without any issues... By the way, the other 3 windows have alwasy operated normally... just the passenger side doow window stops working.

What could cause this intermitent issue... is it possible the relay could be bad... When I used my test lead... I only used the light... could I only be getting partial power?

Could the window motor have a dead spot... when it stops on the dead spot it quits working.

Any suggestiong would be most helpful

Thanks

that shows the trouble is the wires at the drivers door is the trouble as the wiring goes to the drivers control switch for the other windows.

QuoteReply
XK150
post Apr 25 2013, 07:50 PM
Post #9

Good Evening,

It's the end of April and my drivers side power window probelm is still alive and well on my 2004 C70 Convertible...
This evening I removed the door panel again and disconnected the connector to the window motor..
After disconnecting,I connected my metor to the terminal from the switch...

When I depress the window switch on both the drivers or passenger door, I am getting a +11.83 volts in one direction and -11.83 when I press the switch in th other direction... forgot what was what up or down.

From this little exercise, I am making the assumption that proper electricity should be going to the windown motor.

Here is the big question... has anyone removed the window motor without removing the entire window regulator... With the big speaker removed... looks like plenty of room to do this... Really don't want to remove the entire regulator and have to deal with all the problems of getting it adjusted properly.

Last, did see a window motor available from A.C. Cardone... just don't know how big a deal it is getting the motor switched out.

Thanks for any advice with this

QuoteReply
switch-doctor
post Sep 1 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 117,705
Drives: 2004 Volvo V70

The master switch can affect the passenger switch as power runs through the master switch first. http://www.switchdoctor.net Free Fast Shipping. 30 day return policy, Lifetime Warranty.

This post has been edited by switch-doctor: Dec 15 2013, 08:30 PM

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo C70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Passenger Door Not Opening
passenger door lock
5 123ashleyp 671 24th June 2014 - 03:55 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts C70 Sencor
ho 2s bank 1
3 mmroadshow 706 15th December 2013 - 09:51 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts C70 Vanity Mirror Lights
... let there be light..
1 VVLUX 736 13th December 2013 - 10:54 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts C70 '00 Powerseat Vs Manual Seat Movement
0 VolvoEST 418 7th December 2013 - 02:14 PM
Last post by: VolvoEST
No New Posts C70 2.4 Petrol Tuning In The Uk Help Required Please
my 2006 petrol c70 needs more "oomph".
0 terrybiker 519 3rd October 2013 - 04:36 PM
Last post by: terrybiker

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 14th September 2014 - 09:01 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement