Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Intermittent Wiper Not Very Sensitive
zhann
post Jan 29 2013, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,374
Drives: Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum

I recently purchased a new XC60 R-Design Platinum. I absolutely love the car, it drives incredibly well and overall I am incredibly happy. However, I am a picky person, and have a few complaints about the vehicle. Rather than list them, I'll tackle them one at a time. My first complaint is the intermittent wiper system. I have had several cars in the past with intermittent wipers, and never had a problem with them. However, on my XC60 the wipers are very slow to turn on. It takes quite a bit of water on my windshield before they activate. I complained to the service department, but they say that everything looks normal. I asked if I could increase their sensitivity somehow, but they claim this is not possible. What should I do? Should I demand a replacement system, or is there in fact a way to adjust their sensitivity? I was thinking of making a video of how poor the rain sensors work, but so far I've been a bit lazy in this regard.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
tekbis
post Feb 2 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 69,225
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD

QUOTE (zhann @ Jan 29 2013, 09:32 AM)
I recently purchased a new XC60 R-Design Platinum. I absolutely love the car, it drives incredibly well and overall I am incredibly happy. However, I am a picky person, and have a few complaints about the vehicle. Rather than list them, I'll tackle them one at a time. My first complaint is the intermittent wiper system. I have had several cars in the past with intermittent wipers, and never had a problem with them. However, on my XC60 the wipers are very slow to turn on. It takes quite a bit of water on my windshield before they activate. I complained to the service department, but they say that everything looks normal. I asked if I could increase their sensitivity somehow, but they claim this is not possible. What should I do? Should I demand a replacement system, or is there in fact a way to adjust their sensitivity? I was thinking of making a video of how poor the rain sensors work, but so far I've been a bit lazy in this regard.

Try adjusting the sensitivity by moving the dial up on the wiper stalk...

QuoteReply
Tchgrif
post Feb 2 2013, 11:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 95,413
Drives: 2012xc60r-design

Intermittent and automatic wipers are two different features. To turn on automatic, which responds to rain on the sensor, it's a button on the wiper stalk. You can increase or decrease sensitivity with the adjustment knob on the same window wiper stalk. Intermittent wipers is when you pull the wiper stalk down one click, this feature also responds faster or slower by adjusting the same knob on the wiper stalk.

QuoteReply
zhann
post Feb 4 2013, 07:33 AM
Post #4

I have never been one for properly using terminology, a major life problem of mine.

Sorry, not intermittent wipers then, but the automatic wipers. My problem is that the sensor on the automatic wipers aren't sensitive.

Does anyone have any idea how, or if it is even possible, to adjust the sensitivity of the automatic wipers?

QuoteReply
SAINIside
post Feb 27 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 109,648
Drives: 2012 XC60 D5 Ocean Race

QUOTE (zhann @ Feb 4 2013, 08:33 AM)
I have never been one for properly using terminology, a major life problem of mine.

Sorry, not intermittent wipers then, but the automatic wipers. My problem is that the sensor on the automatic wipers aren't sensitive.

Does anyone have any idea how, or if it is even possible, to adjust the sensitivity of the automatic wipers?

I thought I had a problem with this also, until I got my head around how Volvo has set it up.

To improve the sensitivity on the AUTO wipers, make sure the wiper stalk is set to the OFF position, then turn/press the Rain Sensor button on (should light up green on the stalk and a new symbol appear on the dash). From there you can then set the sensitivity... the higher (upwards) you scroll the more sensitive it is (which from my experience is the opposite of what most other cars do!).

Here's an image of what I mean - http://www.csuvs.com/windshield_wipers_washers-6079.html

Problem I find is that every time you start the car, by default the auto wipers are turned off. Same pain with Auto headlights, which this car doesn't have! What is Volvo thinking!

Hope this helps.

QuoteReply
zhann
post Mar 13 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #6

@SAINIside ... Wow, that's amazing, worked like a dream. I didn't realize that this knob affected sensitivity. More amazing, when I asked the Volvo dealership, they claimed that there was no way to affect the sensitivity (both the salesman and service).

Thanks, very greatly appreciated. That makes my life much easier!

QuoteReply
SAINIside
post Mar 13 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 109,648
Drives: 2012 XC60 D5 Ocean Race

You are welcome... I'm not surprised the dealer had no idea.

I worked it out myself through trial and error as dealers here in Australia also had no clue! The auto wipers sensitivity on the lowest setting is soo bad that even if there was torrential rain the car would think it's bright and sunny! Shame they turn off each time you turn off the car!

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC60 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Intermittent Speedometer/odometer Failure
Intermittent speedometer/odometer failure
0 budalla 1 Today, 02:26 AM
Last post by: budalla
No New Posts Wiper Blade
1 ddddavid1972 181 15th March 2014 - 06:55 AM
Last post by: tekbis
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNot All Oil Filters Are Created Equal
Cut Open Filter for a 850
8 SeaMike 481 20th January 2014 - 11:31 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Wiper And Idle Questions On My '93 240 Wagon
3 phydo773 319 17th July 2013 - 11:27 AM
Last post by: SykO
No New Posts Note On Brake Hoses, Power Steering Hoses
0 PersonFromPorlock 226 27th June 2013 - 06:27 PM
Last post by: PersonFromPorlock

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 03:10 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement