Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Ecu "computer" Reset... When And What Years And Models?
Jopower
post Feb 20 2013, 08:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81,841
Drives: 1988 740 Turbo Wagon

I figure this being the general all models page, this is a good general question: When should we consider an ECU "Computer" Reset... When and What Years and Models??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/puzzled.gif)

In the past on other makes I've done it when any computer connected part was changed or modified. Also, if there was a sudden difference in the way the car worked, both to see if it was a transient and to see if the codes could be duplicated and confirmed (if any existed). In each case I simply disconnected the NEGATIVE battery cable for 3-5 minutes.

Why? I'm working up a gift 1988 740 GLE (B230F Turbo) with troubles. However, I'm not sure this model even has a computer with memory capacity. My old 1980 240 certainly didn't. The 740 may just carry a fuel metering preset ECU that doesn't "learn" it's environment... or is it in truth a higher life form? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/460.gif)

I would like to see a chart with all the Volvo models and ECU types ref'ed. Then I'd like to know when that type ECU should need to be reset and how to do it safely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/liebe011.gif)

=================================
Somewhat related... is there somewhere we can send a suspect ECU to be tested by an honest and unbiased ECU shop? Some place that's not selling them? I'd say $25 would be a good price for the diag and printout report... about 10% of a typical replacement ECU is reasonable in my book, if I take it out and cover postage (or walk it in). An automated setup should be able to test 10-20 units an hour and I don't know of many shops that pass up that kind of cash if it can be done in batches. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 20 2013, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Jopower @ Feb 20 2013, 08:09 AM)
I figure this being the general all models page, this is a good general question: When should we consider an ECU "Computer" Reset... When and What Years and Models??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/puzzled.gif)

In the past on other makes I've done it when any computer connected part was changed or modified. Also, if there was a sudden difference in the way the car worked, both to see if it was a transient and to see if the codes could be duplicated and confirmed (if any existed). In each case I simply disconnected the NEGATIVE battery cable for 3-5 minutes.

Why? I'm working up a gift 1988 740 GLE (B230F Turbo) with troubles. However, I'm not sure this model even has a computer with memory capacity. My old 1980 240 certainly didn't. The 740 may just carry a fuel metering preset ECU that doesn't "learn" it's environment... or is it in truth a higher life form? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/460.gif)

I would like to see a chart with all the Volvo models and ECU types ref'ed. Then I'd like to know when that type ECU should need to be reset and how to do it safely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/liebe011.gif)

=================================
Somewhat related... is there somewhere we can send a suspect ECU to be tested by an honest and unbiased ECU shop? Some place that's not selling them? I'd say $25 would be a good price for the diag and printout report... about 10% of a typical replacement ECU is reasonable in my book, if I take it out and cover postage (or walk it in). An automated setup should be able to test 10-20 units an hour and I don't know of many shops that pass up that kind of cash if it can be done in batches. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

what you have is just a basic ECU you can not do anything to it, it just takes information from the sensors and controls your injectors, sending information to control fuel flow by controlling the fuel pump relay,and your noise relay, that is just a basic understanding of what it does. i replaced mine at a cost of 60 two months ago.

This post has been edited by danielm85948: Feb 20 2013, 07:43 PM

QuoteReply
Jopower
post Feb 23 2013, 03:46 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 81,841
Drives: 1988 740 Turbo Wagon

$60 for an ECU? New or used? Where from?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 23 2013, 08:45 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Jopower @ Feb 23 2013, 03:46 AM)
$60 for an ECU? New or used? Where from?

that was used but with a 1 year warranty should it fail, found by goggling used ECU for your volvo but i got mine in England in Manchester for 60 pounds in the uk.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest General Volvo Non-Model Specific Discussion Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts What Year Was It Last Year?
1 daveej 513 8th August 2014 - 05:28 PM
Last post by: cloudbase
No New Posts What I Drive?
How do I update this??
2 vlvwagon 223 4th March 2014 - 12:51 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts What If Consumers Made Product Ads?
1 cc8074369 157 4th February 2014 - 08:40 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Reset Emission Lights Fault After Ambient Temp Sensor Change
0 malcesine 348 24th January 2014 - 01:15 PM
Last post by: malcesine
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsWhat Is This Part?
4 Matt4life 1,076 11th January 2014 - 01:17 PM
Last post by: konrad101

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 05:21 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement