Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Wheel Bearing/ Road Noise
london_lhr
post Jun 18 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,014
Drives: 1999 Volvo S40

Hello good people,
I am new to the board. Hi to all.
Problem with my 1999 S40 and I need advice please. There is a sound when driving that sounds very much like wheel bearing hum. Took the car in to the dealer and problem was diagnosed as front wheel bearings.
I bought the bearings and replaced both sides.
Sound still there! So I thought that it could be the rear wheel bearings and replaced them as well. Guess what! Noise still there!!!!
Took the car back to the dealer this past week and they now recon it is tyre noise.
According to them the worst tyres you can have on your S40 are Pirelli. That happens to be the tyres I have on the car.
Now the wheel bearing episode was very expensive and before I replace the tyres, please help!!!!!!!!
Has anyone on the board had similar problems? Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lhr.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Dandle
post Jun 18 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 3,538
Drives: S40 T4 V-reg

I did the same thing when i bought my T4. With both Pirelli P-zeros and P6000s on the car I had a bearing noise so replaced all the wheel bearings and the front disc and pads. The noise was still there so I ditched the P6000s which had just been fitted and put on Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. Straight away the car was quieter although it will never be completely silent(it doesnt sound like it has a bearing on the way out now), the difference was amazing though.

QuoteReply
mong man
post Jun 19 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 8,484
Drives: 2000 Volvo S40 XS 122BHP

i run nangkangs all around. i was going to fit toyos after. pirelli's are going down hill. we fit them at work so i live here surrounded by tyres!

QuoteReply
london_lhr
post Jun 21 2006, 04:15 AM
Post #4

Thanks for your input guys. Very much appreciated.
Strange that this seems to be a problem with the S40. I have never had any similar problems with any other car I have ever owned!
Again thanks. :thumbsup:

QuoteReply
svensden
post Jun 22 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,218
Drives: various

hi just a thought s/v 40 s suffer with irregular wear on the inner edge of the rear tyres thus causing a 50 pence syndrome as opposed to running true .rather than buying a full set of tyres check each tyre (spin up) to check for distortion this is the most likely cause ( my customers usually use kuhmo tyres a similar compound to pirelli yet cheaper ) hope this is of help

QuoteReply
androide016
post Jun 24 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,416
Drives: 2000 S40

Did you check the strut mounts?, there is bearing under it, this bearings when are damaged can cause sound

QuoteReply
scott60
post Jul 22 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,887
Drives: 2003 Volvo S60

All:
I have the same problem with my S60. I have had my '03 in twice for "loud road noise". Sounds like a train on a track! The dealer cannot diagnose the problem. They even replaced the driver's side wheel bearing and the noise is still there.

Finally, they tell me that all it is is "tire road noise", to get a new set of tires after these wear out.
I only have 19k on it and I bought it a month ago as a certified deal. Love the car though if I can get it quieted down. It does have the Sports Package on it.
I have researched this thing for a month and although many S40 and S60's seem to have the problem, no one has a solution.
It is absolutly driving me crazy! (no pun intended!)

Anyone out there have any ideas? Do I find the quietest tire on he market? I here that Goodrich T/A's are rated as very quiet, as well some Falkins. I have Continental ContactTouring's on it now. I had the same tires on my '02 Ford Taurus the car was very quiet.
(Please see my post under "Wheel Bearing Noise).

Thanks!
Scott60

QuoteReply
Dandle
post Jul 23 2006, 06:47 AM
Post #8

Senior

Get Goodyear Eagle F1s they are very quiet and have masses of grip in both wet and dry conditions. They arent that expensive either.

QuoteReply
scott60
post Jul 23 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,887
Drives: 2003 Volvo S60

Thanks Dandle!
I will keep a lookout for them.

Scott

QuoteReply
london_lhr
post Sep 3 2006, 06:25 AM
Post #10

Hello All,

Just an update! Thought you good people would like to know...... :thumbsup:

On Thursday last week I had four new tyres fitted on my S40. The tyres that were on the car were Pirelli P6000 (as mentioned in my earlier post) Two of the tyres still had loads of tread (rears) but the front tyres needed to be replaced anyway. On the good tyres (rears), if you run your hand over the tread section of the tyre, you could actually feel that the tyres had "edges" on them. In other words the tyres were not completely round but almost like the edge of a UK 50p coin.
Had four new Goodyear Eagle tyres fitted and it has transformed the car completely! The ride is MUCH quieter and the "wheelbearing noise" has gone completely. All you have now is just the normal road noise.
Also met another Volvo owner at the tyre fitters and he had a similar problem with his Volvo S40 T4 (small world!) He was there having tyres changed on his wifes car. It was nice meeting you and thanks for your input, D... :liebe011:

Regards,

Lhr.

QuoteReply
Dandle
post Sep 4 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #11

Senior

QUOTE(london_lhr @ Sep 3 2006, 06:25 AM)
Hello All,

Just an update! Thought you good people would like to know...... :thumbsup:

On Thursday last week I had four new tyres fitted on my S40. The tyres that were on the car were Pirelli P6000 (as mentioned in my earlier post) Two of the tyres still had loads of tread (rears) but the front tyres needed to be replaced anyway. On the good tyres (rears), if you run your hand over the tread section of the tyre, you could actually feel that the tyres had "edges" on them. In other words the tyres were not completely round but almost like the edge of a UK 50p coin.
Had four new Goodyear Eagle tyres fitted and it has transformed the car completely! The ride is MUCH quieter and the "wheelbearing noise" has gone completely. All you have now is just the normal road noise.
Also met another Volvo owner at the tyre fitters and he had a similar problem with his Volvo S40 T4 (small world!) He was there having tyres changed on his wifes car. It was nice meeting you and thanks for your input, D... :liebe011:

Regards,

Lhr.
[right][snapback]40399[/snapback][/right]

No problem, pleased they fixed the problem for you :)

Just for interest the P-Zerro Rossos off our Audi had high and low parts around the treads and they only had 5k on them when they came off.

QuoteReply
dakwan
post Jan 8 2013, 12:01 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 114,018
Drives: 2005 Volvo S40

I took my S40 in for the driver door lock problem and the dealer thought they would do me a favor and inflate my tires to the correct psi. I had no noise problem before they did me this favor, but now the road noise is so loud I can't hear the radio or talk on the phone! I am not so sure that the correct psi that Volvo suggests is working out for me. I am going to try and deflate them a bit and see if that helps turn down the road noise volume.

QuoteReply
ForcedS40
post Jan 13 2013, 05:02 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 114,119
Drives: Volvo S40 T4

Just bought an S40 T4 with this exact same problems, I have Federal branded tyres on there right now and it is unbelievably noisy, I've never had a car have so much road noise as this..
Problem is i have 18" wheels and the tyres are expensive even for cheaper brands..

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1995-2004) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Wheel Bearing
Replacement
2 scottvo 462 19th February 2014 - 06:14 PM
Last post by: scottvo
No New Posts Wheel Adapters
1 BlackBrick93 577 4th April 2013 - 09:24 AM
Last post by: Vermont
No New Posts Noise?
after veh turned off
7 supero 1,380 26th March 2013 - 10:03 AM
Last post by: pfgym5
No New Posts Noise At Acceleration
noise at shift, acceleration, deceleration
3 vbertone 1,734 9th February 2013 - 05:34 PM
Last post by: PugMomFlower
No New Posts Wheels
2008 XC70 to 2004 XC70
3 mrl 465 25th November 2012 - 05:52 PM
Last post by: Vermont

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 12:45 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement