Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Lost Am Radio
helva
post Sep 3 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94,175
Drives: S80 D5

My radio no longer provides AM radio. Just stopped working. Garage has checked antenna for both AM and FM and reports no problem. Will need to take out front console - telephone, radio, CD player etc at a cost of about 500. Car is just under 4 years old and radio nowadays should not just fail. Have asked garage to take up with Volvo but I am not optimistic. Anyone else had this problem? Should Volvo reimburse me?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
B. Graham
post Sep 19 2011, 08:23 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 76,296
Drives: 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD

Same thing happened to me yesterday on a 2008 xc90. the FM works fine, but no sound on AM.

QuoteReply
YesNoMebbeSo
post Nov 3 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 96,712
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC70

Yes.

I have the HU-850 audio system in my 2007 XC70 and 2008 S60.

2007 XC70:
While the station presets display correctly, there is absolutely NO reception for AM. The HU-850 audio system was available on these vehicles: S60, S80, XC70, and XC90 (actual year introduced, I am not sure.) It was replaced by a different system in vehicles 2009+.

This AM issue is common, as I have read numerous accounts but was shocked by the response by Volvo Customer Care when I called to log a complaint. There were very few records of this issue in their database! Very odd.

Essentially, if you are out of warranty -as I was only due to high mileage within the 3rd year- Volvo will NOT offer any assistance to replace or resolve this issue. This is terrible service considering the price we pay for their new vehicles! And, AM radio should not be inoperable within a few years! It should function in the same manner as FM.

Nonetheless, I strongly recommend contacting the Customer Care Center (see the Volvo website) to log a complaint. Your situation may be different. Even if you are out of warranty, make a strong case for yourself!

S60:
There is a "fix" for the HU-850 -a copper or brass band is placed near the the amplifier in the rear of the audio system. This is not a complete fix as I still receive intermittent static (more than what would be caused by electrical interference) when no other vehicle systems are operating. The "fix" cannot be applied to the XC70 because the wiring is different.

Hope this helps!

QuoteReply
Jeffblak
post Nov 28 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 99,066
Drives: 2007 S80 V8 AWD

My 2007 S80 AM radio goes in and out and sometimes very static like. The dealer put in a copper jumper of some type in the antenna module and it helped for a while but is now going out again. They have a problem, they know it, and they are not addressing it very well.

QuoteReply
YesNoMebbeSo
post Jun 2 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 96,712
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC70

This is a known issue with Volvo but they refuse to fix since the audio system is outdated and costly (new systems average $1200).

[Oh, and the "fix" is very temporary (S60) and not meant for the XC70 because wiring schematic is different.]

My service manager mentioned that the AM issues began when Volvo changed over to using fiber optic wiring. The AM reception problem (or complete lack thereof) is an on-going problem even with the newer systems (as of 2011 vehicles). Volvo refuses to repair or replace the system and this is THEIR problem - not the consumer's. Yet we are still penalized when outside the "warranty" mileage.

Logging a complaint with BBB...

Volvo will NOT be considered next vehicle choice.

Signed,
Extremely Frustrated!!

QuoteReply
rlbliss
post Nov 18 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 112,877
Drives: 2009 Volvo S60 T5 AWD

Same thing happened to my 2009 S60. Lost the AM sound for about 6 months...then it came back for a few months...then it went away and remains gone...very frustrating!! Any solutions out there?

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2007+) S80 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Radio Problem V50
0 volvov50chris 160 5th March 2014 - 04:10 PM
Last post by: volvov50chris
No New Posts Radio Repair
Premium Sound Presets not working
3 KJay 245 9th February 2014 - 05:45 PM
Last post by: KJay
No New Posts Amplifier Pin Out For Speaker
S80
0 poopbunny 444 27th December 2013 - 07:17 AM
Last post by: poopbunny
No New Posts Radio Code Not Working
7 pixieisms 1,910 24th December 2013 - 08:37 AM
Last post by: NJV40
No New Posts Lost My Key And No One To Program New.
1 nguandong 283 3rd September 2013 - 04:26 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 10:59 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement