Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Clamps Broken On 760 Turbo Air Cleaner Housing
Maggie
post Jan 5 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,658
Drives: 1989 760 Turbo Wagon

My local oil change place broke the clamps off of the air cleaner housing (the young assistant didn't fess up to his boss when he manhandled the cover off) and then they zip tied it back on claiming that I needed to have my mechanics fix it since the implication was tht I've been driving around with it flapping loose............as a new housing is $182, I've been stewing about it overnight (this happened late yesterday afternoon). Do I go in and point out that the young assistant should've stepped up and admitted he broke the clamps off the backside (the snapping was audible)?

I realize that most women are still considered clueless in the automotive world - but having owned a 1974 VW bus for 32 years - I know a little more than most gals.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Margaret
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
highvoltj
post Jan 5 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 105,238
Drives: 1990 Volvo 740 GLE

Hello Margaret,
I would most certainly take picture's of the broken air-cleaner housing, then go back and tell the owner of the shop to replace your housing as it was broken at his/her shop and by their employee. It really need's to be replaced as when the cover is loose it will definately affect the performance of your car, and will possibly wreak havoc with the vehicles on-board computer system. If they cause you any grief, tell them that you will report them to the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) as no self-respecting shop want's this on their record. If you don't get anywhere with that, you are going to have to replace it yourself, and to avoid the cost of a spendy new one, get one on-line (ebay, craigslist, etc.) or if you have a Pick-N-Pull, arm yourself with tool's and go grab one off another Volvo and really save some coin! Sorry for your troubles, and I hope the owner of the shop has a conscience!
Jon

QuoteReply
Maggie
post Jan 5 2013, 02:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,658
Drives: 1989 760 Turbo Wagon

Thanks Jon, that's pretty much what I was going to do, just needed moral support I suppose - I'm as irritated with myself as much as them for not stepping up and pointing it out, I guess I was hoping the assistant would fess up and say that he broke the clamps on the backside, but no such luck. Given the fact that I have the best mechanic shop in this part of Eastern Oregon and Washington, there's no way that that cover was flopping around for 6 months, and then the filter looking so pristine when it was looked at (and with no performance issues at all).

Sheesh, Margaret

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 740 & 760 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Turbo Adjustment
Auto 850, manual boost control, waste gate adjustment.?
1 Snabblåda 57 24th July 2014 - 10:45 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Turbo Charger Failure
3 JohnAnast 332 26th June 2014 - 10:15 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Broken T-45 Torx Bit
2 Ken Hudson 292 11th May 2014 - 12:01 PM
Last post by: Ken Hudson
No New Posts Air Temperature (aat) Sensor?
2 BenBiehl 512 8th February 2014 - 02:15 PM
Last post by: BenBiehl
No New Posts Broken Springs
1 7ven 395 14th December 2013 - 06:43 AM
Last post by: Geordievolvo

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 12:40 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement