Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Bluetooth Iphone Issues
simonmason
post Dec 21 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,935
Drives: XC90

I have a 2012 Type R XC60 - love it! I don't love the Bluetooth implementation with my iPhone 4s. First, when it is paired with the car it disables sounds on the phone so you don't hear anything happening except when it rings. I cannot seem to stop this. When I switch to Bluetooth audio mode in the car, and listen to something from the iPhone, then I get all of the sounds - email coming in, notifications, etc. It doesn't appear that there is a way to make this work when listening to other audio sources in the car?

Also, the sound quality for hands free calls is terrible. Most of the time I can barely hear the other party because the audio is so garbled. Disconnecting from handsfree and putting the phone to my ear always resolves this. I did not have these issues with the same phone and my previous XC60.

It's going in for service next week so I am hoping that there are some upgrades installed. But can anyone comment on these issues? Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
simonmason
post Feb 26 2013, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Bump - Software upgrades did nothing. I am starting to believe that sound quality of the handsfree is what it is. But the integration with bluetooth shutting off the iphone sounds seems like it could have been done better. For example, if I am paired, in one of the other audio modes - such as Radio, and using Maps on the iPhone - all of the spoken directions are muted. Has anyone figured out a w way around this?

QUOTE (simonmason @ Dec 21 2012, 11:59 AM)
I have a 2012 Type R XC60 - love it! I don't love the Bluetooth implementation with my iPhone 4s. First, when it is paired with the car it disables sounds on the phone so you don't hear anything happening except when it rings. I cannot seem to stop this. When I switch to Bluetooth audio mode in the car, and listen to something from the iPhone, then I get all of the sounds - email coming in, notifications, etc. It doesn't appear that there is a way to make this work when listening to other audio sources in the car?

Also, the sound quality for hands free calls is terrible. Most of the time I can barely hear the other party because the audio is so garbled. Disconnecting from handsfree and putting the phone to my ear always resolves this. I did not have these issues with the same phone and my previous XC60.

It's going in for service next week so I am hoping that there are some upgrades installed. But can anyone comment on these issues? Thanks.

QuoteReply
2004CTSV
post Mar 3 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 114,810
Drives: 2004 Cadillac CTS V

QUOTE (simonmason @ Feb 26 2013, 12:52 PM)
Bump - Software upgrades did nothing. I am starting to believe that sound quality of the handsfree is what it is. But the integration with bluetooth shutting off the iphone sounds seems like it could have been done better. For example, if I am paired, in one of the other audio modes - such as Radio, and using Maps on the iPhone - all of the spoken directions are muted. Has anyone figured out a w way around this?

I am looking into a new XC60 T6 and got onto to this site for information. I specifically wanted to know about the bluetooth connection for my iPhone. This is one item that I'll check during the test drive.

On the other hand, it was great to see that the oil filter changes from the top of the engine like my wife's Saab.

T

QuoteReply
simonmason
post Mar 3 2013, 04:50 PM
Post #4

I finally spoke to Volvo tech support and confirmed that the way the bluetooth is working is according to specifications - just not the way I want it to work! When paired with the iphone it will interrupt anything you are doing when you get an incoming call, the phone will ring through the speakers in the car. This is fine. However, if you are listening to Radio, Sat Radio, and iPod, CD - all other sounds the phone makes are muted. So if you are driving along listening to Sat Radio and a text message comes in you will not know about it. Similarly, if you were using the maps app on the iPhone (I use Google maps all of the time because it is so much easier to add a destination than going through the 4000 menu options or voice commands in the Volvo Nav!) - and wanted to hear the turn by turn directions, you can't. You can change the audio source on the iPhone from the car to the phone each time it pairs, and this will allow you to get all sounds through the phone. However, this disconnects the hands free phone feature and the sounds coming through the iPhone cannot be heard over the noise of the car. If you select the phone as an audio device - for example to listen to music on the phone - then all noises come through the phone. However, the streaming of music from the phone to the car with bluetooth is not ideal. It takes a long time to pair when you first get in the car and play the music, and I have repeatedly have playlists stop for no reason and I have to hit the play button again. Ideally, I would like the sounds on the phone to interrupt whatever music source is playing in the car, but that is not the way it was designed. Hope this helps.

QUOTE (2004CTSV @ Mar 3 2013, 04:01 PM)
I am looking into a new XC60 T6 and got onto to this site for information. I specifically wanted to know about the bluetooth connection for my iPhone. This is one item that I'll check during the test drive.

On the other hand, it was great to see that the oil filter changes from the top of the engine like my wife's Saab.

T

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC60 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Bluetooth For Volvo Factory Stereos
Additional features - AUX-in & direct connection iPhone/iPod &
0 GROM Audio 1,011 9th May 2013 - 09:08 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio
No New Posts Bluetooth Hands Free Issues
Random disconnects
1 xc60atlanta 816 2nd May 2013 - 02:44 PM
Last post by: partsman2
No New Posts Bluetooth Connection With Htc
1 vilma1 656 6th December 2012 - 05:17 PM
Last post by: scasagrande
No New Posts Iphone -v- Samsung Issue
0 Valkman 539 28th October 2012 - 12:04 PM
Last post by: Valkman
No New Posts Iphone 3g -- Does Not Charge?!?
Problem with the new Apple 3G iPhone
11 pmurrett 9,724 18th December 2011 - 07:12 AM
Last post by: OpineveCizfep

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 07:04 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement