Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 2010 Xc60 T6 Awd Whining Noise
magnuspyke
post Dec 9 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,664
Drives: 2010 XC60 T6 AWD

Just recently I have noticed some whining noise (not too loud) from the front end of my 2010 XC60 T6 AWD. The car has 8000km and only the premium gasoline is used. The noise started with the colder weather. When driving between 40 and 60 km/h I can hear some whining noise (not all the time) from the front end of my car. Above 60km/h the noise is gone. Again, I can hear this whining sound every other day, not all the time.
I was told that the T6 is a high-pressure turbo engine and that turbo is always on, unlike some other engines. Is this a turbo complaining about the cold weather or something else might be a problem?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Cam_
post Dec 9 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 80,030
Drives: MY11 XC60 T6

I'm pretty sure the T6 is a low pressure twin scroll turbo running about 6-7psi. You can sometimes hear the turbo winding up under gental acceleration, and maybe in the cooler weather the sound is more defined.

Usually you will find most of the whining coming from the passengers seat... well in my car anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I hope it's not too serious for you. Let us know if it gets worse.

More info on the Light-pressure turbo (LPT) T6 below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SI6_engine

QuoteReply
Peelot
post Dec 10 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 82,376
Drives: 2006 Volvo XC 70

Hello,
Can it a wind noise from door mirrors? It usually happen at speed 70-100 km/h.

QuoteReply
magnuspyke
post Dec 12 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #4

Thanks for reply. I am hoping that this is just a turbo making some sounds under the gental acceleration. Otherwise the engine runs well, specially in the advance mode.

Btw, I have heard about the high pressure turbo in the dealership. The guy who sold me the car explained that the new T6's are based on the same technology as the 5-cylnder 300 hp turbos form the V70R. Anyway, I am glad that we clarified this matter.

QuoteReply
magnuspyke
post Dec 12 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Peelot @ Dec 10 2010, 11:07 AM)
Hello,
Can it a wind noise from door mirrors? It usually happen at speed 70-100 km/h.

I do not think so. I have tested my new car on the highway driving between 80-130 km/h on a windy day but everything was pretty much smooth. Except that this new XC60 is not heavy as my old XC90, and runs different.

QuoteReply
HEF
post Feb 9 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 85,434
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC60

I too hear a 'whirring' sound coming from behind the dash, on acceleration beginning around 30-40kph, car in motion only (sound not present in P or N) . Also have wondered if it could be caused by winter temperatures. Dealer checked it out, also heard the sound, but cannot account for it.

QuoteReply
Peelot
post Feb 10 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #7

Hi,
I heard that the similar issue can be connected with absence plugs in a dashboard mount area. See picture (these places are indicated by arrows). Check it.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  1.JPG ( 33.56K ) Number of downloads: 56

QuoteReply
BLUKTY2
post Feb 13 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 84,790
Drives: 2011 Volvo XC 60 T6 AWD

Hello All,

Less than a month ago I purchased a 2011 XC60 T6 AWD. Right after I got it, with less than 100 miles on the odometer, I also noticed a "whining" noise from what seems to be the right front end. Now with just over 500 miles it seems to be getting worse. It only happens when the outside air temperature is below about 15* F (-9* C) and the vehicle has been sitting for several hours (overnight). It is also only noticeable between speeds of about 38 and 48 miles per hour (61-77 kilometers per hour)- above or below these speeds there is no noticeable whine. The pitch of the whine varies with the speed of the vehicle, whether accelerating, decelerating or maintaining speed. After about 3-4 miles (4-6 kilometers) the whine quickly goes away and thats it- until the vehicle is parked in cold temperatures for an extended period again.

I am very familiar with turbocharged engines and this IS NOT a turbo whine. It is also NOT wind noise or a disc brake squeal. It sounds to me like a dry bearing; perhaps a wheel bearing or a bearing somewhere in the driveline/axle assembly.

I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow in an attempt to identify the source of this whine. I have a feeling that due to the intermittent nature of the noise it will be hard to diagnose and I may be in for a long process with this. Hopefully the local temperatures will stay cold as this will give the mechanics more opportunity to identify the problem.

I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Pete

QuoteReply
tekbis
post Feb 14 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 69,225
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD

QUOTE (BLUKTY2 @ Feb 13 2011, 07:40 PM)
Hello All,

Less than a month ago I purchased a 2011 XC60 T6 AWD. Right after I got it, with less than 100 miles on the odometer, I also noticed a "whining" noise from what seems to be the right front end. Now with just over 500 miles it seems to be getting worse. It only happens when the outside air temperature is below about 15* F (-9* C) and the vehicle has been sitting for several hours (overnight). It is also only noticeable between speeds of about 38 and 48 miles per hour (61-77 kilometers per hour)- above or below these speeds there is no noticeable whine. The pitch of the whine varies with the speed of the vehicle, whether accelerating, decelerating or maintaining speed. After about 3-4 miles (4-6 kilometers) the whine quickly goes away and thats it- until the vehicle is parked in cold temperatures for an extended period again.

I am very familiar with turbocharged engines and this IS NOT a turbo whine. It is also NOT wind noise or a disc brake squeal. It sounds to me like a dry bearing; perhaps a wheel bearing or a bearing somewhere in the driveline/axle assembly.

I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow in an attempt to identify the source of this whine. I have a feeling that due to the intermittent nature of the noise it will be hard to diagnose and I may be in for a long process with this. Hopefully the local temperatures will stay cold as this will give the mechanics more opportunity to identify the problem.

I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Pete

I am no expert and it's just a thought - If it is a whirring sound that can be heard behind the dash and related to the exterior temperature it might be simply the automatic air recirculation on the climate control as it can be programmed to recirculate for a certain period of time (depending on the outside temp) esp during initial startup (though I could be wrong).

QuoteReply
HEF
post Feb 16 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 85,434
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC60

We may all be identifying different sounds/problems. In any case, re my earlier posting, the dealer consulted with Volvo and now reports that the mysterious sound may be the throttle slide. Makes sense to me . . .

QuoteReply
BLUKTY2
post Feb 17 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #11

As stated in my last post, I took a mechanic from the dealer for a ride yesterday so he could identify the noise. And I am happy to say that I WAS WRONG! According to the mechanic, it is a turbo whine- there was doubt in his mind. He informed me that this was an issue in the earlier T6's (I guess they had twin turbos!) and although it certainly doesn't cause any problems, there may be a recall later if it causes enough complaints. If I understood him correctly, the turbocharger pipes may need to be replaced with modified pipes that would effectively create an "expansion chamber" to eliminate the noise. At any rate, I sure hope that he is right. But if there is something else causing this noise, I have at least started a "paper trail" and it will be fixed under warrantee if the condition gets worse.

Happy and safe motoring to you all! Pete

QuoteReply
oliteitur
post Feb 21 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 85,926
Drives: 2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD

Hi all

I noticed the strong whining noise coming from the front-left of my new XC60 T6 AWD from day one. Still present after 6 weeks / 2.200 km.

Dealer also noticed it but could not account for it immediately; I will be taking the car in for closer inspection at the earliest opportunity.

In my case, the whining is directly linked to the *level of acceleration*. That is to say: It is present at a certain level of acceleration *regardless of speed* (although I have not experimented at over 100 km/h). Thus, by adjusting the pressure on the gas pedal I can maintain a constant whining until the desired speed is reached and I ease off the pedal.

I'll be watching this space and greatly appreciate you sharing any answers you may obtain - and I'll of course post any meaningful results I may get.

Otherwise extremely pleased with this car. Although beware if you should ever need to open the window in the rain. A fairly awkward design flaw (especially relevant to smokers!) is that the rain is actually directed INTO an open front window. There is no channel to direct it down along the forward side of the door/windshield as you would expect.

Cheers,
OliTeitur

QuoteReply
Peelot
post Mar 1 2011, 01:55 AM
Post #13

Hello everybody!
If this problem is still actual you can try to change the gear shift cable. I know one case where such replacement helped. In that case the problem was connected with a resonance the gear shift cable.

QuoteReply
DaveJ
post Apr 5 2011, 03:22 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 87,721
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 AWD

I also have some whining noise and we do not have a T6 we have a 3.2 AWD.

Our situation starts with a steering fluid leak from a high pressure hose, which was not correctly installed in factory. This was repaired with the car only 2 weeks old. One month later we had shuddering through the steering, which resulted in a faulty power steering pump being replaced. Two weeks after that our steering was leaking again, which resulted in the steering rack being replaced.

Now I have the on going whining noise (not too loud) from the front end and when driving between 40 and 60 km/h (not all the time). I have been advised by the service centre that this is normal and I am not in a cold climate.

It is now 9 months on and the car drives ok but the whining noise continues our feeling is something is not right. Any other views on this situation.

QuoteReply
jeep
post Apr 6 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 74,613
Drives: volvo xc60

The issue is not related to the turbo. My 2010 XC60 3.2 AWD has the exact same issue...whining noise when outside temp is below 40F.

QuoteReply
HanSchlamppo
post Dec 28 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 100,947
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC 60 T6 AWD

I just discovered this thread after posting to another thread on a similar topic. I have a very similar issue to the other posters here, but I don't buy that this is a turbo whine. As others have stated, it is related to the level of acceleration.

Would anyone else that has had this issue please try something for me? As you are hearing the noise, turn off your AC by hitting the AC ON/OFF button. For me, this stops the whine immediately.

for the sake of completeness, here's a link my other post. And I've quoted the text below:

I also have this problem. I own a 2010 XC60 T6 AWD.

When you turn on the climate control and the AC button is set to ON there is a loud whining that increases in pitch with the RPMs of the engine. If you push the AC button and turn it OFF, the whining stops within a second. The issue is slightly periodic, which is a problem for diagnosis. I can't tie it to cold or warm weather. It almost sounds like it is coming from deep inside the climate system (as opposed to the engine).

I've now taken the car to the dealer on this issue three times. The first time, they said it was not reproducible. The second time they decided to replace the AC compressor, since they thought it was the only thing that was tied to both the AC and the engine speed (makes sense). Unfortunately, this has not solved the problem. In fact, I believe the issue is getting worse with time.

As I write this, my car is at the dealer for the 23,500 mile service and they are looking at it again (3X). It is a different dealer (we moved out of state) so maybe they can find something different.

If anyone has ideas on this or has had the same issue, I'd be interested to hear about it.

QuoteReply
BLUKTY2
post Jan 17 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #17

Hello Everyone,

I posted on this issue about a year ago (February 17, 2011) and have more to add. I have since purched another 2011 XC60 T6 (my wife and I now have a his and hers!) and the newer vehicle makes the same noise under the same conditions as my previous post. This leads me to believe that it is related to the turbo boost as the mechanic at my dealer thought. Having the A/C on or off has no effect. At least with me things are consistent...... Pete

QuoteReply
stlbill
post Feb 14 2012, 03:48 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 101,647
Drives: 2012 XC60 T6 AWD R

Hi folks:

My Wife just called to report a whining noise in her 2012 XC60R with less than 200 miles.

She described the sound as a metal-on-metal like when brakes are wore out. She could hear it inside the car with the windows up. The high temperature today is supposed to be 39 degrees F. It has been colder than it was today recently. The one weather change is we had the first real snow yesterday and today. The car is kept in our insulated - not heated - garage each night.

I will ask her to turn off the air conditioner if she hears the noise on the way home.

Going to get it to the dealer as soon as possible for a look.

-Bill
St. Louis, Missouri USA

QuoteReply
rhudson2
post Nov 5 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 58,310
Drives: xc60

I have exactly the same problem. I haven't pursued it with the dealer yet but would be very interested to know what the outcome was on your problem. It is annoying as hell and I would love to get it resolved asap. Thanks.

QuoteReply
Mercurious
post Jan 17 2013, 02:48 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 114,209
Drives: 2010 XC60 T6

Pardon my first post if it comes out looking weird, but I have the exact issue you described. It happens when the car has been not running for a little while and usually last for two or three minutes after startup. It actually sounds similar to a leaf in the climate system fan. Obviously this is not the cause because the pitch corresponds to the speed of the engine. I have had the dealer look at this multiple times and we did determine that turning off the AC (by pressing the AC on/off button only) will stop the sound pretty much immediately. The sound is more pronounced between 20 and 40 mph for me and is very annoying. I would be embarrassed by this sound if I had a date or client in the passenger seat. I find it unacceptable for a vehicle of this caliber. Has anyone found anything more about this noise.

QUOTE (HanSchlamppo @ Dec 28 2011, 12:53 PM)
I just discovered this thread after posting to another thread on a similar topic. I have a very similar issue to the other posters here, but I don't buy that this is a turbo whine. As others have stated, it is related to the level of acceleration.

Would anyone else that has had this issue please try something for me? As you are hearing the noise, turn off your AC by hitting the AC ON/OFF button. For me, this stops the whine immediately.

for the sake of completeness, here's a link my other post. And I've quoted the text below:

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC60 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 2010 Xc60 With 60k Miles
what's next to go wrong?
4 xc60atlanta 1,209 15th January 2014 - 06:35 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Awd Rain Squealing Problem On Non-rs
0 a14205 244 14th January 2014 - 03:51 PM
Last post by: a14205
No New Posts Xc60 - 2010 - Water Leaks
Water leaks in 2010 XC60
6 Wet feet 1,311 22nd December 2013 - 12:49 PM
Last post by: Thanosgr
No New Posts 2010 S80 Airbag Module Removal
1 2010s80 328 26th November 2013 - 02:52 AM
Last post by: poopbunny
No New Posts Xc60 44k T6 With Roof Leak
New purchase questions
3 c_hill 2,061 10th November 2013 - 07:33 PM
Last post by: Wet feet

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 07:14 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement