Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Idle Revs Violently Up And Down, And Eventually, Stalls
Sebastiaan
post Jan 11 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101,739
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 2.4 L B5254T/56 Turbo automatic

I drive a 1999 C70 2.4 L B5254T/56 turbo automatic

The summary: When starting the car, the idle revs back and forth between 1500 and 400 rpms (both the tachometer and the engine) and then stalls, unless I keep giving gas and accelerate to over 15 mph. No service engine lights have come on. For a few weeks prior, the rpm’s drop to 600 when shifting from drive or park to reverse.

I really appreciate your guys suggestion on what should I look at first? Vacuum leak, idle air control valve, EGR valve, throttle position sensor, MAF sensor, fuel injectors/pressure regulator/pump/damper, spark plugs? Please help!

The long story: On the interstate, I got stuck in traffic for a bit - all the way to a halt. Then, when I got out, I hit the accelerator - to my knowledge not too hard, but still to have a bit of a kick - and it seemed like something gave in, because it just suddenly stopped accelerating. Out of shock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif) , I’ve immediately let go of the gas pedal and took it nice and easy to get her home, which was maybe 2 miles away. I even stopped for a while at an intersection, accelerated, and slowed down a few times, but taking it slow, I made it home fine.

Then, curious as I was of what the hell just happened, I jumped back in my car to see if it would happen again. The car started fine in park, a bit of hesitation, but then, when I went in reverse, it started "bucking" - revving up to 1500 to 2000 rpms and down to about 400, back and forth, like crazy! It stalled on me several times. When I picked up a little speed - say maybe 15 mph – the “bucking” stopped. When I slowed down it restarted.

I have to say that I kind of saw it coming, because when you´ve driven a car for a long time you can just sense something is not right. She´s been acting out for a few weeks with a bit of a stuttering and going from drive or park to reverse, the rpm´s would really drop to around 500 rpm´s with the feeling that she would almost quit on me.

Thank you, guys.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Volvo_C70.jpg ( 44.24K ) Number of downloads: 2

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jan 11 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Sebastiaan @ Jan 11 2012, 06:16 PM)
I drive a 1999 C70 2.4 L B5254T/56 turbo automatic

The summary: When starting the car, the idle revs back and forth between 1500 and 400 rpms (both the tachometer and the engine) and then stalls, unless I keep giving gas and accelerate to over 15 mph. No service engine lights have come on. For a few weeks prior, the rpm’s drop to 600 when shifting from drive or park to reverse.

I really appreciate your guys suggestion on what should I look at first? Vacuum leak, idle air control valve, EGR valve, throttle position sensor, MAF sensor, fuel injectors/pressure regulator/pump/damper, spark plugs? Please help!

The long story: On the interstate, I got stuck in traffic for a bit - all the way to a halt. Then, when I got out, I hit the accelerator - to my knowledge not too hard, but still to have a bit of a kick - and it seemed like something gave in, because it just suddenly stopped accelerating. Out of shock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif) , I’ve immediately let go of the gas pedal and took it nice and easy to get her home, which was maybe 2 miles away. I even stopped for a while at an intersection, accelerated, and slowed down a few times, but taking it slow, I made it home fine.

Then, curious as I was of what the hell just happened, I jumped back in my car to see if it would happen again. The car started fine in park, a bit of hesitation, but then, when I went in reverse, it started "bucking" - revving up to 1500 to 2000 rpms and down to about 400, back and forth, like crazy! It stalled on me several times. When I picked up a little speed - say maybe 15 mph – the “bucking” stopped. When I slowed down it restarted.

I have to say that I kind of saw it coming, because when you´ve driven a car for a long time you can just sense something is not right. She´s been acting out for a few weeks with a bit of a stuttering and going from drive or park to reverse, the rpm´s would really drop to around 500 rpm´s with the feeling that she would almost quit on me.

Thank you, guys.

check the vacuum hoses for leaks.

QuoteReply
mykael
post Jan 11 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 61,383
Drives: 200 Volvo C70 Convertible

Try disconnecting the MAF sensor... MAP and O2 might be worth trying as well. Matter of trial and error to isolate the failing one - or find a Volvo mechanic who can pull the error codes from it (and fix the sensors first).

QuoteReply
Sebastiaan
post Jan 12 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 101,739
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 2.4 L B5254T/56 Turbo automatic

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback! Appearently, it was a very simple thing to fix in this case... the intercooler airduct came off from it´s connection above the fan shroud. All I had to do was to put it back on and retighten the clamp. Fixing a problem on my car has never ever been this simple before. I took her for a spin, and she drives again like a champ! The drop in rpms when switching into reverse has now also dissapeared.

Do you think I may have damaged something else while driving for a bit with the intercooler airduct disconnected, since there was a burned smell? As a preventive measure, I think I will check all the vacuum hoses, and I'd like to address MAP and O2 sensors as you recommended. Can I clean the MAP sensor with the carb cleaner, or should I just replace it? Haynes manual did not recommend cleaning the Heated oxygen sensor (lambda sensor). That's the O2 sensor I should be looking at, right? As I've now learned, I have a Bosch Motronic ME7 system with single ECU controlling both the fuel and ignition sides, fly-by-wire electronically controlled throttle, MAP sensor, and distributorless ignition system.
Thanks again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana.gif)

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Intercooler_Airduct.jpg ( 175.59K ) Number of downloads: 10

QuoteReply
mykael
post Jan 23 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #5

Senior

Member No.: 61,383
Drives: 200 Volvo C70 Convertible

Cool, nothing like a cheap fix. She may have gotten a little warm in the engine bay with the shroud disconnected - but if you can't see anything obvious and she still runs...

From what I can gather, trying to clean sensors is a bit of a 50/50 gamble. Half the time you get a better sensor, half the time a useless lump of plastic. I go with replacement, because then I always get a good sensor (although it does cost a bit more).

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jan 23 2012, 01:54 AM
Post #6

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Sebastiaan @ Jan 12 2012, 12:40 PM)
Hey guys, thanks for your feedback! Appearently, it was a very simple thing to fix in this case... the intercooler airduct came off from it´s connection above the fan shroud. All I had to do was to put it back on and retighten the clamp. Fixing a problem on my car has never ever been this simple before. I took her for a spin, and she drives again like a champ! The drop in rpms when switching into reverse has now also dissapeared.

Do you think I may have damaged something else while driving for a bit with the intercooler airduct disconnected, since there was a burned smell? As a preventive measure, I think I will check all the vacuum hoses, and I'd like to address MAP and O2 sensors as you recommended. Can I clean the MAP sensor with the carb cleaner, or should I just replace it? Haynes manual did not recommend cleaning the Heated oxygen sensor (lambda sensor). That's the O2 sensor I should be looking at, right? As I've now learned, I have a Bosch Motronic ME7 system with single ECU controlling both the fuel and ignition sides, fly-by-wire electronically controlled throttle, MAP sensor, and distributorless ignition system.
Thanks again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana.gif)

if car running ok now then do not need to fix it.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo C70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Upholstery Luggage Compartment Removal Instructions
0 poopbunny 65 27th December 2013 - 07:52 AM
Last post by: poopbunny
No New Posts Idle Rpm
linear actuator
0 cytashiro 314 22nd October 2013 - 04:23 PM
Last post by: cytashiro
No New Posts Stalls When Hot, Restarts After About 20 Minutes
7 newmex999 548 9th August 2013 - 06:17 AM
Last post by: SykO
No New Posts Updating My Xc90
4 Mousiee 863 12th July 2013 - 10:20 AM
Last post by: Mousiee
No New Posts Stalls Breifly While Driving - Fuel Pump?
3 traderssd 647 1st May 2013 - 12:19 PM
Last post by: Ryan 20

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 12:36 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement